Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Jun 4, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #4,021 of 5,538
Is there anyone here who uses regular headphones over IEMs? (I don't do those due to ear sensitivity). Now that I can finally drive planars with the N8ii (could not with my previous LG V phone source) I'm starting to look into that headphone type. Up to now I've only used dynamic..albeit some coveted models being Final Audio Sonorous X and Pioneer SE-Monitor5. I do have some older HifiMan X V2 but with a cutting out driver... but I get an idea of how planars sound and it's pretty good with the more power.

Curious if anyone has tried planars... specifically the Meze Empyrean, Hifiman Arya (supposedly quite improved over X) or the much maligned (and polarizing!) Sendy Peacocks with the N8ii to check synergy? Any other "successful pairings" with planar models you can relay?
I only have Audeze LCD-XC 2021 here
And the only headphone I'm really interested in is the Susvara
But as long there's no portable amp to drive it correctly I'm just wait
I really don't want to be stuck in one spot to hear my grail ... 🤷
Now the Arya Stealth is an awesome headphone and would be my #2 to be honest
Or HE1000 series

Jun 4, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #4,022 of 5,538
Or HE1000 series
Have you demoed any of those ?

Jun 5, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #4,024 of 5,538
Curious to know if someone that experienced both the Traillli and the Jewel with the N8ii would be able to recommend one or the other based on the synergies with the DAC. I am considering adding one more IEM to my collection (currently UM Mason FS and Tia Fourte). Synergy with the N8ii is a key factor.
IMO Traillii pairs much better than Jewel, with N8ii.

Jun 5, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #4,025 of 5,538
Is there anyone here who uses regular headphones over IEMs? (I don't do those due to ear sensitivity). Now that I can finally drive planars with the N8ii (could not with my previous LG V phone source) I'm starting to look into that headphone type. Up to now I've only used dynamic..albeit some coveted models being Final Audio Sonorous X and Pioneer SE-Monitor5. I do have some older HifiMan X V2 but with a cutting out driver... but I get an idea of how planars sound and it's pretty good with the more power.

Curious if anyone has tried planars... specifically the Meze Empyrean, Hifiman Arya (supposedly quite improved over X) or the much maligned (and polarizing!) Sendy Peacocks with the N8ii to check synergy? Oh...or even Final's own (but pricey) D8000 Any other "successful pairings" with planar models you can relay?
I tried my 1266 phi tc with n8ii 3.5 SE output, i think its not enough power to drive 1266, compare to my TT2.

Jun 5, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #4,026 of 5,538
Curious to know if someone that experienced both the Traillli and the Jewel with the N8ii would be able to recommend one or the other based on the synergies with the DAC. I am considering adding one more IEM to my collection (currently UM Mason FS and Tia Fourte). Synergy with the N8ii is a key factor.
Go through previous threads, there is a guy that swears by the Synergy between the N8ii and Jewel

Jun 5, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #4,028 of 5,538
Or HE1000 series
I only use headphones with my N8ii
And my preference is Planars for the low level of coloration detail and natural sound
I have used the Arya original and upgraded to the Stealth which sounds much better than the original and it is more efficient. I later upgraded to the HE1000SE and that is even more efficient and takes you to a whole new level of extreme performance with the N8ii
However I finally upgraded that too to the HE-R10P closed back Planar from Hifiman and that is an endgame headphones with 100db/mW and 30ohms I always run N8ii I class A Pmode Hdb with volume mostly at about 45db for bedtime listening only going to 50db when taking my evening walk outside
20220605_003615.jpg

Jun 5, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #4,029 of 5,538
I only use headphones with my N8ii
And my preference is Planars for the low level of coloration detail and natural sound
I have used the Arya original and upgraded to the Stealth which sounds much better than the original and it is more efficient. I later upgraded to the HE1000SE and that is even more efficient and takes you to a whole new level of extreme performance with the N8ii
However I finally upgraded that too to the HE-R10P closed back Planar from Hifiman and that is an endgame headphones with 100db/mW and 30ohms I always run N8ii I class A Pmode Hdb with volume mostly at about 45db for bedtime listening only going to 50db when taking my evening walk outside
20220605_003615.jpg
Must be a real enjoyment
Now I'm into IEM at the moment
But probably another headphone will follow some day
My N8II arrives normally Monday

Jun 5, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #4,030 of 5,538
Endgame: HE-R10P

Those beauts are even more $$ than the DAP is :). The planar version is over five times more expensive than the dynamic.

So I've been looking for the nice stock cable that came with my Sonorous X for the past week and I finally found it...mamma mia with that I finally hit paydirt. Final uses locking connectors and I don't think the silver balanced cable made a good enough connection as it just didn't sound quite right.
Anyway, it may be just single-ended but @ only 16 ohm resistance for the X and it's titanium-coated driver, that stock cable creates the smooth lush sound I've been looking for with the N8ii...just heavenly with the tubes. Probably will get even better when I replace the somewhat worn pads.

Now we're talking :)

Jun 5, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #4,031 of 5,538
Endgame: HE-R10P

Those beauts are even more $$ than the DAP is :). The planar version is over five times more expensive than the dynamic.

So I've been looking for the nice stock cable that came with my Sonorous X for the past week and I finally found it...mamma mia with that I finally hit paydirt. Final uses locking connectors and I don't think the silver balanced cable made a good enough connection as it just didn't sound quite right.
Anyway, it may be just single-ended but @ only 16 ohm resistance for the X and it's titanium-coated driver, that stock cable creates the smooth lush sound I've been looking for with the N8ii...just heavenly with the tubes. Probably will get even better when I replace the somewhat worn pads.

Now we're talking :)
I think it's kind of normal that some people spent X times on cables and IEM and headphones
Why own an awesome DAP and the rest of the chain is lagging
Do you have to ?
Nope ... since we can enjoy what we have ... 🙏

Jun 5, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #4,032 of 5,538
I am not really qualified to post here so excuse me if i slip up, but i would like to say on headphones i opted for the Meze Elites with upgraded copper cable balanced.

Dealer suggested the upgrade cable, never tried the stock cable or the headphones untill they were delivered.

Really pleased with my upgrade choice as opposed to Astell and Kern Kann cube and HD800S served me well and still own them but older tech it was glitchy on my home network and they do not sound as good when i compare them to the N8ii + Elites.

Question i have never tried IEM'S are they comfortable ? can you listen for hours with them, i prioritze comfort over form i am afraid.
Can you try something to simulate a fit like silicone ear protectors for motorcycles ? to try and get a idea whether they would be comfortable,guessing hygiene prohibits trials in shops ect.

Apologies i am really new to this so sorry if my questions are a bit daft.

I love being portable with the N8ii.

Learning lots here (Don't understand it all :) )
Thank you all.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #4,033 of 5,538
I am not really qualified to post here so excuse me if i slip up, but i would like to say on headphones i opted for the Meze Elites with upgraded copper cable balanced.

Dealer suggested the upgrade cable, never tried the stock cable or the headphones untill they were delivered.

Really pleased with my upgrade choice as opposed to Astell and Kern Kann cube and HD800S served me well and still own them but older tech it was glitchy on my home network and they do not sound as good when i compare them to the N8ii + Elites.

Question i have never tried IEM'S are they comfortable ? can you listen for hours with them, i prioritze comfort over form i am afraid.
Can you try something to simulate a fit like silicone ear protectors for motorcycles ? to try and get a idea whether they would be comfortable,guessing hygiene prohibits trials in shops ect.

Apologies i am really new to this so sorry if my questions are a bit daft.

I love being portable with the N8ii.

Learning lots here (Don't understand it all :) )
Thank you all.
IEM sound amazing but again as usual it's a Dollah game although some won't agree probably with me
You need to figure if you have small of regular ears
If small you can eliminate a lot
Some that don't mind regarding sound but you'll also be missing some of the top tier
Some have wide nozzles and if you have small ears they might fit but after x amount of minutes all gets anoying

Jun 5, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #4,034 of 5,538
I tried my 1266 phi tc with n8ii 3.5 SE output, i think its not enough power to drive 1266, compare to my TT2.
No dap has enough to drive the 1266.

Jun 5, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #4,035 of 5,538
Nope ... since we can enjoy what we have .

Absolutely I'm just pointing out how expensive seemingly every "chain" is now getting :)

I'm not exactly one to talk because regular price of the Sonorous X that I use is around that same ballpark.. I was very fortunate to find them for about two grand a year ago--including an obviously high-tier silver cable. Not only do they sound superb with the right pairing (and the N8ii definitely qualifies), but it's a bit of a nostalgic piece because their exquisite design was a "no holds barred" last audio product from the legendary founder of Final (Takai-san) before he passed away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back