Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Jun 12, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #4,051 of 5,538
Its working again.
Only used 5v chargers and it was completely dead.
Was only playing music without charging and the battery level was ok (so may be the battery status information was wrong).
Now, I tried several 5v charges and pressed several buttons in parallel. Before, I pressed the power button for more than 15 sec without success.
Glad it's working now, but thus battery level/status bug seems to be still there (a few days before, the battery level showed 100% for a long time and then switched to 35 % within one second..).

Jun 12, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #4,052 of 5,538
I am not really qualified to post here so excuse me if i slip up, but i would like to say on headphones i opted for the Meze Elites with upgraded copper cable balanced.

Dealer suggested the upgrade cable, never tried the stock cable or the headphones untill they were delivered.

Really pleased with my upgrade choice as opposed to Astell and Kern Kann cube and HD800S served me well and still own them but older tech it was glitchy on my home network and they do not sound as good when i compare them to the N8ii + Elites.

Question i have never tried IEM'S are they comfortable ? can you listen for hours with them, i prioritze comfort over form i am afraid.
Can you try something to simulate a fit like silicone ear protectors for motorcycles ? to try and get a idea whether they would be comfortable,guessing hygiene prohibits trials in shops ect.

Apologies i am really new to this so sorry if my questions are a bit daft.

I love being portable with the N8ii.

Learning lots here (Don't understand it all :) )
Thank you all.
I see that you are in the UK. Why not get a ticket for Canjam London that’s on 30th & 31st July. There you can try out as many different IEMs as you can manage. You’ll get a good idea of fit and comfort from the various brands and models. Take your N8ii with you and see what combo’s give the best synergy.

Jun 12, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #4,053 of 5,538
I am not really qualified to post here so excuse me if i slip up, but i would like to say on headphones i opted for the Meze Elites with upgraded copper cable balanced.

Dealer suggested the upgrade cable, never tried the stock cable or the headphones untill they were delivered.

Really pleased with my upgrade choice as opposed to Astell and Kern Kann cube and HD800S served me well and still own them but older tech it was glitchy on my home network and they do not sound as good when i compare them to the N8ii + Elites.

Question i have never tried IEM'S are they comfortable ? can you listen for hours with them, i prioritze comfort over form i am afraid.
Can you try something to simulate a fit like silicone ear protectors for motorcycles ? to try and get a idea whether they would be comfortable,guessing hygiene prohibits trials in shops ect.

Apologies i am really new to this so sorry if my questions are a bit daft.

I love being portable with the N8ii.

Learning lots here (Don't understand it all :) )
Thank you all.
You could get a pair of CCA CRA+ from amazon for 20 quid, see how you like them for fit. Not as good as some of the main brand stuff but still very comfy and probably worth a shot to try out just on cost alone. (They also sound pretty good for a 20 quid IEM!)

Jun 12, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #4,054 of 5,538
I see that you are in the UK. Why not get a ticket for Canjam London that’s on 30th & 31st July. There you can try out as many different IEMs as you can manage. You’ll get a good idea of fit and comfort from the various brands and models. Take your N8ii with you and see what combo’s give the best synergy.
Thats a great idea,i will check my diary.

Thank You

Jun 12, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #4,055 of 5,538
You could get a pair of CCA CRA+ from amazon for 20 quid, see how you like them for fit. Not as good as some of the main brand stuff but still very comfy and probably worth a shot to try out just on cost alone. (They also sound pretty good for a 20 quid IEM!)
£20 wow i would try and then just let someone have them if my kids don't get to them first i had no idea they were this cheap !

Thank You.

Jun 12, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #4,056 of 5,538
Delete.

Jun 12, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #4,060 of 5,538
To make it a short story
Those owning a DX300 and upgrading say yes for them
And most put it up to level of the N8II
But do know that most of those never seen or heard a N8II in real life
The owners of the N8II don't think so at all
It shares sort of the same sound characteristics since both use the same Rohm DAC
But when you filter all the N8II is ' better'
Next the N8II has 2 x NuTube vs 1 and Balanced output vs SE
Now I own a DX300 and I like it combined with my Cayin C9 but I bought a N8II nevertheless

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #4,061 of 5,538
I think that there is a significant performance gap between those devices. Specially if you consider the amount of flexibility and fine tuning that you can get from the N8ii. For me at least it will be difficult to come back to something inferior after that. I believe that the only 2 DAPs that outperform N8ii are the DMP-Z1 and the LP6 ti but we are talking about a 2.5x higher price.

Jun 12, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #4,062 of 5,538
Those are both better performers at a price for sure
And as in every hobby to get to the next level you need to spend some money
Now people always think they struck gold and their cheaper 'toy' outclasses brand X type Y and only costs half the money
And it might be out there but I personally never been in that situation in any hobby until today
Mostly what pops up is: this sound as 90% of ...
OK but what's 90% ?
Or even better : deminishing return
Very popular term today in audio
Very popular ... 😉

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #4,063 of 5,538
so dx320 is better than n8ii?
Nope. Similar sound but delivery a few steps below. Good bang for buck though as long as you're not going out and buying all modules, n8ii second hand would make far more sense as you get it all in one package and noticeably better sq. For me, the only detail that 320 does better is stage width. N8ii does the all rest to a higher level which is the difference between totl and mid fi for me, and all in one package. Dx320 does have quite nice treble though.

I've put mine up for sale as I want to hear Jewel paired with 7AE and don't want to plough more money into another dap. I'll quite happily come back to N8ii if 7AE doesn't work out and be a very happy man. I bought 320 as a curiosity simply to hear another ROHM implementation, I'll listen to it over the next couple of weeks with 12exn when away with work then it'll be hitting the classifieds as well.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #4,064 of 5,538
Nope. Similar sound but delivery a few steps below. Good bang for buck though as long as you're not going out and buying all modules, n8ii second hand would make far more sense as you get it all in one package and noticeably better sq. For me, the only detail that 320 does better is stage width. N8ii does the all rest to a higher level which is the difference between totl and mid fi for me, and all in one package. Dx320 does have quite nice treble though.

I've put mine up for sale as I want to hear Jewel paired with 7AE and don't want to plough more money into another dap. I'll quite happily come back to N8ii if 7AE doesn't work out and be a very happy man. I bought 320 as a curiosity simply to hear another ROHM implementation, I'll listen to it over the next couple of weeks with 12exn when away with work then it'll be hitting the classifieds as well.
Well was expecting what you just posted ...

Jun 13, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #4,065 of 5,538
Don't get me wrong, dx320 is pretty good, at its price point, but I'd definitely take any of the "it's as good as N8ii" hype with a large pinch of salt...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back