Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Jun 4, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #4,006 of 5,538
wow can't believe. the ifi go bar gold sounds so good. actually I prefer it's treble more than the n8ii. not as bright as n8ii but still very extended. sound stage is wider than n8ii, separation is better than n8ii, reverb last longer than n8ii. everything is better than n8ii.

unbelievable!!!!!!
IMG-20220604-WA0014.jpeg
I'll take that with a big pinch of salt but good to hear thoughts on something I can reference to as I'm considering swapping out S2 for GoBar.

Jun 4, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #4,007 of 5,538
I've been doing a little bit of comparing with the standard Go Bar and the N8ii. To my old ears the Go Bar doesn't come close, don't get me wrong it sounds very good and is probably better than most if not all the USB dongles I've tried however it just doesn't have the musicality or presence of the N8ii.

Jun 4, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #4,008 of 5,538
I had no expectations about the N8ii. In fact, I didn’t even know that it existed because I was on a “detox” phase from audiophile devices. I was just enjoying my speaker system which I invested a significant amount of money and time since 2018.

That being said, I read about the N8ii in a recent review and drove to meet Andy from Musicteck. He happened to have one demo unit that I tried for 30 mins with my Tia Fourte. I was really curious to hear the tubes on this combo of DAC/Amp.

I have used and owned several hi end units, from DCS Bartok to Chord Dave (my current DAC) and the Hugo2. The N8ii caught me off guard and I was floored by the capabilities of this little “brick”. The transparency above all things was the most impactful aspect in my opinion. As I mentioned, most of the gear I own or have listened to are extremely capable and things like soundstage, low/mid/hi end clarity, black background , those were all very familiar to me and no portable unit that came out over the last 10 years impressed me. But Cayin added something in this piece that is extremely difficult to execute and somehow impossible to measure once is a subjective feeling: they added so much musicality to the N8ii.

I usually don’t write long comments like this and to be honest my portable rig was accumulating dust lately (I am very happy with my Wilson Audio Sabrina X speakers) but THIS dac is just keeping me busy while I rediscover the musical feeling of my library instead of just listening to audiophile tracks to test my system.

Kudos to all the engineering & product teams at Cayin . The N8ii is not a small feat.

And if you are looking to buy a new dac in that price range, or even if you are in this never ending journey for the sound nirvana, you should make yourself a favor and test the N8ii. Really.

Jun 4, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #4,009 of 5,538
I had no expectations about the N8ii. In fact, I didn’t even know that it existed because I was on a “detox” phase from audiophile devices. I was just enjoying my speaker system which I invested a significant amount of money and time since 2018.

That being said, I read about the N8ii in a recent review and drove to meet Andy from Musicteck. He happened to have one demo unit that I tried for 30 mins with my Tia Fourte. I was really curious to hear the tubes on this combo of DAC/Amp.

I have used and owned several hi end units, from DCS Bartok to Chord Dave (my current DAC) and the Hugo2. The N8ii caught me off guard and I was floored by the capabilities of this little “brick”. The transparency above all things was the most impactful aspect in my opinion. As I mentioned, most of the gear I own or have listened to are extremely capable and things like soundstage, low/mid/hi end clarity, black background , those were all very familiar to me and no portable unit that came out over the last 10 years impressed me. But Cayin added something in this piece that is extremely difficult to execute and somehow impossible to measure once is a subjective feeling: they added so much musicality to the N8ii.

I usually don’t write long comments like this and to be honest my portable rig was accumulating dust lately (I am very happy with my Wilson Audio Sabrina X speakers) but THIS dac is just keeping me busy while I rediscover the musical feeling of my library instead of just listening to audiophile tracks to test my system.

Kudos to all the engineering & product teams at Cayin . The N8ii is not a small feat.

And if you are looking to buy a new dac in that price range, or even if you are in this never ending journey for the sound nirvana, you should make yourself a favor and test the N8ii. Really.
Mine was arriving yesterday but FedEx found I had to wait until Monday ... 😉

Jun 4, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #4,012 of 5,538

Andy is a Cayin rep, Andrew is the one who runs Musicteck :)

Jun 4, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #4,014 of 5,538
Andy is a Cayin rep, Andrew is the one who runs Musicteck :)
Thank you for the heads up. Andrew is fantastic by the way. Aways super helpful.

Jun 4, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #4,015 of 5,538
Curious to know if someone that experienced both the Traillli and the Jewel with the N8ii would be able to recommend one or the other based on the synergies with the DAC. I am considering adding one more IEM to my collection (currently UM Mason FS and Tia Fourte). Synergy with the N8ii is a key factor.

Jun 4, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #4,016 of 5,538
Curious to know if someone that experienced both the Traillli and the Jewel with the N8ii would be able to recommend one or the other based on the synergies with the DAC. I am considering adding one more IEM to my collection (currently UM Mason FS and Tia Fourte). Synergy with the N8ii is a key factor.
My N8II and Traillii are arriving
Also bought a PW Audio First Times
Jewel somewhere later next week
64 Audio Fourté is here already ...
IMG20220519190616~2.jpg

Jun 4, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #4,017 of 5,538

Traillii sounds good with everything, but Jewel with its DD bass will benefit from a good pair up. N8ii with P+ voltage boost scales up the performance of Jewel, that would be my recommendation. But keep in mind, if you are getting Jewel, get it with PWA FirstTimeS cable, its stock cable is not so great.

Jun 4, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #4,018 of 5,538
Traillii sounds good with everything, but Jewel with its DD bass will benefit from a good pair up. N8ii with P+ voltage boost scales up the performance of Jewel, that would be my recommendation. But keep in mind, if you are getting Jewel, get it with PWA FirstTimeS cable, its stock cable is not so great.
Thank you! I will definitely try the Jewel.

Jun 4, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #4,019 of 5,538
I agree with this take. That said, the Traillii sounds the best I have ever heard it with N8ii. So, there is no bad answer.

Jun 4, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #4,020 of 5,538
Is there anyone here who uses regular headphones over IEMs? (I don't do those due to ear sensitivity). Now that I can finally drive planars with the N8ii (could not with my previous LG V phone source) I'm starting to look into that headphone type. Up to now I've only used dynamic..albeit some coveted models being Final Audio Sonorous X and Pioneer SE-Monitor5. I do have some older HifiMan X V2 but with a cutting out driver... but I get an idea of how planars sound and it's pretty good with the more power.

Curious if anyone has tried planars... specifically the Meze Empyrean, Hifiman Arya (supposedly quite improved over X) or the much maligned (and polarizing!) Sendy Peacocks with the N8ii to check synergy? Oh...or even Final's own (but pricey) D8000 Any other "successful pairings" with planar models you can relay?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back