Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Apr 23, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #3,076 of 5,543
For those who are interested, my full Review of N8ii is up!!! This time with a lot of comparison and pair up examples and updated sound analysis and conclusion :)

cayin-n8ii-08-b.jpg

Thanks for this great review!

I received my N8ii today. I got it with a tempered glass protective screen (sticker displaying the note: ‘1 – BACK’). However I don’t know if this protective screen should be applied on the front or the back of the N8ii.

On the front of my N8ii, I get a packing film with the following note ‘Screen Protector Applied. Remove packing film before use’. Moreover, I get on the back another sticker displaying the note ‘Step 2 – Please peel of this mask after application completed’.

I’m a bit lost. What steps should I follow ? In which order ? Where should be applied the available tempered glass protective screen ? Back or Front ?

Thanks for your help.

Apr 23, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #3,077 of 5,543
For those who are interested, my full Review of N8ii is up!!! This time with a lot of comparison and pair up examples and updated sound analysis and conclusion :)

cayin-n8ii-08-b.jpg
Looking forward to this!

Apr 23, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #3,079 of 5,543

cayin-n8ii-08-b.jpg
Thank you for including the Cayin N6ii with T01/Romi BX2 comparison!

Apr 23, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #3,081 of 5,543
Thanks for this great review!

I received my N8ii today. I got it with a tempered glass protective screen (sticker displaying the note: ‘1 – BACK’). However I don’t know if this protective screen should be applied on the front or the back of the N8ii.

On the front of my N8ii, I get a packing film with the following note ‘Screen Protector Applied. Remove packing film before use’. Moreover, I get on the back another sticker displaying the note ‘Step 2 – Please peel of this mask after application completed’.

I’m a bit lost. What steps should I follow ? In which order ? Where should be applied the available tempered glass protective screen ? Back or Front ?

Thanks for your help.

Saw you left the same message after my review :)

The tempered glass screen protector included with N8ii is for the front glass. And the protective film on the front of the N8ii needs to be taken off, it is just like a packaging film. The screen protector on the back should be already applied, it is plastic (PET type) and you just need to carefully peel off its protective film.

Apr 23, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #3,082 of 5,543

cayin-n8ii-08-b.jpg
Nice thorough review, Alex. I am most interested in your section on digital line out. I have been very interested in using the N8ii for high quality transport mostly to demo products with my own music. But, my efforts have been only marginal at best. Was wondering exactly what cables are you using to interface the N8ii to various devices.

I have a Hiby USB-c to coax (3.5mm) cable that I originally got to pair the Hiby R6 2020 to my Chord Hugo 2. Is that the cable you are referring to in your review?

https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-type-c-to-3-5mm-gold-plating-coaxial-cable

Most desktop DACs have some combination of USB-B (printer cable interface), Coax (S/PDIF), optical inputs (TOSLINK) or BNC. Where you able to test any of those interfaces into DACs? If so, can you share the cables you used? I would like to buy a set to support any gear I would like to Demo.

Apr 23, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #3,083 of 5,543
I've demoed both Sonys and IMO there is not a huge difference from the originals except for Android. The 1Z2 is still warm and syrupy, the 1A2 more dynamic, and between the 2 I think the 1A2 is the better buy.

That being said, the N8II is technically better than both. It has the wow factor (IMO) when you first listen and taking into consideration the price, sound signatures and true LO it's a no-brainer.
I also noted the main difference in new Sony units is Android but haven't listened to verify as you..
That is very disappointing, because the original units were gimped in both sound and volume output, wich "MrWalkman" works fixed.
So the new unit is basically still gimped in output.

Beautiful music were singing to me, and I went on with my daily business. The next thing I know is that my battery was down to 40%, which is my typical charging time.
This would be most logical, instead of waiting till 6, or zero.
In fact as I followed thread only one member had an issue.

It took me 2 days to think about what triggered her behaviors, and sure enough it was me using her as an external DAC, setting at no charging when usb is plugged in 😂😂😂😂😂😂

This setting is at

Setting >>> connected devices >>> usb settings

This throws the past complaints to be possible human error..

As don't own this unit I have no reason either way to speculate, but I have tried it twice and it performed perfectly when I tried it.
Nice and warm but never hot.

So I am of the opinion nothing was ever wrong with charging. Only human error or abuse.

The hottest unit I owned was the ibasso 300MaxSS version, when I left it on while charging at same time.
The Ti version didn't get as hot.

My point is that the n8ii is even newer, more polished design tech, and so should at least be of same level of endurance.
Therefore, according to the law of averages, we should weigh in the actual number of problems. I can count at least two from the ibasso thread, and only one unit here.
This how we get the saying, " the squeaky wheel gets the oil".
Happens in every thread with new units. I post only because noticed it here.
Cayin shouldn't have to post any instructional about a battery topic gone overboard excessively by one or two members.
Just an eta on software update.
As with all other posts here, this is just IMHO, and nothing more.

Apr 23, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #3,084 of 5,543

cayin-n8ii-08-b.jpg
Thank you for the detailed review and the comparisons. N8ii vs WM1Z was helpful to me.

Can you please compare N8ii with N6ii/R01 whenever you get a chance (and if you happen to have this motherboard)?

Apr 23, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #3,085 of 5,543
Nice thorough review, Alex. I am most interested in your section on digital line out. I have been very interested in using the N8ii for high quality transport mostly to demo products with my own music. But, my efforts have been only marginal at best. Was wondering exactly what cables are you using to interface the N8ii to various devices.

I have a Hiby USB-c to coax (3.5mm) cable that I originally got to pair the Hiby R6 2020 to my Chord Hugo 2. Is that the cable you are referring to in your review?

https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-type-c-to-3-5mm-gold-plating-coaxial-cable

Most desktop DACs have some combination of USB-B (printer cable interface), Coax (S/PDIF), optical inputs (TOSLINK) or BNC. Where you able to test any of those interfaces into DACs? If so, can you share the cables you used? I would like to buy a set to support any gear I would like to Demo.

Jim, the one I referred to in my review is Cayin CS-30TCR cable which I noticed is currently unavailable. Used to be for sale on Musicteck and Amazon. But that will depend on what you are connecting to. In my case, it was iFi micro iDSD. If you are connecting to usb dac dongle, just use provided usb-c to usb-c OTG cable. The one in your link is for Chord products only since they use 3.5mm coax. N8ii doesn't have optical TOSLINK, those are becoming rare in DAPs, though some A&K daps still have it. But overall, N8ii doesn't have dedicated coax out, they use spare usb-c pins to bring it out from that port, the same as in Hiby daps.

Apr 23, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #3,086 of 5,543
Jim, the one I referred to in my review is Cayin CS-30TCR cable which I noticed is currently unavailable. Used to be for sale on Musicteck and Amazon. But that will depend on what you are connecting to. In my case, it was iFi micro iDSD. If you are connecting to usb dac dongle, just use provided usb-c to usb-c OTG cable. The one in your link is for Chord products only since they use 3.5mm coax. N8ii doesn't have optical TOSLINK, those are becoming rare in DAPs, though some A&K daps still have it. But overall, N8ii doesn't have dedicated coax out, they use spare usb-c pins to bring it out from that port, the same as in Hiby daps.
Thank you. Will a USB-C to USB-B cable work (aka printer cable)?

Apr 23, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #3,087 of 5,543
N8ii only has USB type C out/in and mini I2S out.

If you need a cables to your Desktop DAC, most of them have USB type B. You will need those accordingly to which you want as a host.

If you want N8ii as a host, you need USB C out, and that gotta be OTG

If you want N8ii as a slave, or DAC, you need USB C In, and this is your typical USB C dater port, where as the other one can’t be USB B or USB A…. If it is MicroUSB or C, you will need it to be OTG

Apr 23, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #3,088 of 5,543
Thank you. Will a USB-C to USB-B cable work (aka printer cable)?
You want N8ii to be acting as a host correct ? Aka a digital transport to your DAC ?

Then you need USB C - OTG and USB type B cables
FF92C4F7-4DA6-4845-AB85-3279F57CED7B.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #3,090 of 5,543
I’m terrible with Android…
How can i get this through options?
85B67AC4-EF34-41DF-8CB4-20CD3C23FE0E.jpeg

In this menu my icons are black….how i turn it white?….i barely see the icons in black 😅

All the rest volume, battery, AB, appears to me in White, but the options (gain setting, power mode, tube, Amplifier type) are in black 😕

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back