Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
May 6, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #76 of 3,873
Not sure if you're a prophet or something but I found this

****s getting real now.

e4YXo.gif

May 6, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #77 of 3,873
God, I hope that's true. Would be so cool!

My hint came from Andy emphasizing to us how Cayin's long history led to certain features in the N8.

Since Cayin is best known as an Amp maker, and has such gorgeous tube amps to be so proud of, I began to hope...

:)

May 6, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #78 of 3,873
God, I hope that's true. Would be so cool!

My hint came from Andy emphasizing to us how Cayin's long history led to certain features in the N8.

Since Cayin is best known as an Amp maker, and has such gorgeous tube amps to be so proud of, I began to hope...

:)
If Cayin actually pulls it off, it would be REVOLUTIONARY.

May 6, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #80 of 3,873
Reiterating

• Dual balanced outputs
  • FGPA Audio Decoder
  • Swappable amp cards
Well, the game is to guess the selling point along these three headings as appear on Cayin N8 Press Release, so may I ask what are the typical description on DAP press release?
Considering its a press release, its going to focus on the key parts of the player :/

Though it will have a FPGA processor, I don't think it will be a main part. This is considering that the N3 has an FPGA core.

Updated thoughts
  • First ever Dual balanced outputs on a DAP
  • First ever Vacuum tube amplification on a DAP
  • Dual AKM 4497 dacs
Considering Cayin's past dac choices, I though they may return to AKM. It could be TI DACs too though.

Then another point would be the usual stuff about supporting DSD and high sample rate PCM codecs blah blah blah.

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #87 of 3,873
If you're going to charge four figures, for the love of g-d please make sure there's some way to jack my 2TB+ (and growing) music collection into it properly (and NOT via some craptastic, lossy wireless non-solution like bluetooth). A dedicated USB port or SATA port would be nice. Need another USB port for output to DAC when bypassing the internal too.

May 6, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #88 of 3,873
If you're going to charge four figures, for the love of g-d please make sure there's some way to jack my 2TB+ (and growing) music collection into it properly (and NOT via some craptastic, lossy wireless non-solution like bluetooth). A dedicated USB port or SATA port would be nice. Need another USB port for output to DAC when bypassing the internal too.
Get an type C to USB adapter then plug in your hard drive :)

A SATA port doesn't make sense, it's already an obsolete port. A 20gbps capable USB-C is more versatile. Maybe get a type C to USB adapter then plug in a USB hub or splitter?

BTW who or what is G-D?

May 6, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #89 of 3,873
whatever effing storage connector works is fine. the problem is that most of these DAPs can't handle complicated usb/otg setups with a hub and external power when you're handling an SSD (for example) PLUS usb audio output to an external DAC.

doody

ps: some cultures/religions disdain the writing of their deity's name, hence "g-d" without the 'o'. i'm an atheist, but in public forums i try to be respectful.

May 6, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #90 of 3,873
My thoughts for the N8:
It's a smart phone too or at least have 4G LTE compatibility.
Some kind of switchable vacuum tube amplification system.
A Multibit DAC designed by Cayin.
I bet cayin will ditch android on this player and use their own OS.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back