Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Jun 30, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #586 of 3,873
We are pushing the limit, if there is 0.5mm space available, we'll try a bigger battery again. :ksc75smile:
I really like this approach. I have no idea why so many companies insist on making thinner and thinner devices at the expense of I/O, battery capacity, and durability.

Jun 30, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #587 of 3,873
Since the N8 will be relying on USB-C to transfer the musics to the internal storage and microsd card, which speed we will have in the player? USB 2.0, USB 3.0, USB 3.1...?

Jul 6, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #588 of 3,873
Since the N8 will be relying on USB-C to transfer the musics to the internal storage and microsd card, which speed we will have in the player? USB 2.0, USB 3.0, USB 3.1...?

USB3.0.

I have asked our engineer to check out the actual data transfer and this is what I received:

N8 data transfer prel.jpg

Sorry for the Chinese interface, we can't change the Window language setting of our bulk-purchased computer, but I guess we all know this screen very well, and the only number that matter is 34MB/s :ksc75smile:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 6, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #589 of 3,873
I'm of the camp of "you can increase thickness by even 0.5cm if it allows 15h playback SE/nutube or 30h balanced 4.4 on flac"

Partial like that hehe. ZX2, Plenue D, Wm1a etc...
I really like this approach. I have no idea why so many companies insist on making thinner and thinner devices at the expense of I/O, battery capacity, and durability.

DAP design is full of compromise, so not surprised that different company will take a different stand on this issue. If portability or maintain a sleek design is the priority requirement, then adding 1mm to N8 in order to accomodate a bigger battery is a wrong decision. :ksc75smile:

30 hours balanced on 4.4 FLAC? What will be the rated output at this battery duration? 1V? or 5V+?
I am referring to the more meaningful "loaded power rating at 32ohm" figure which is a big different from unloaded power rating.

Last edited:

Jul 6, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #590 of 3,873
Nice, that's about 1,342 Head-Fi upgradeitis years.

Formula please, we aim to achieve 1,456.667 upgbradetaitis years, hate to miss this important benchmark. :ksc75smile:

SSSssssmarvelous posts Andy! This thing is developing into something really special.

Do you expect anything less then this? :beerchug:

Jul 6, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #591 of 3,873
Ahh, I only ever drink Pu’er with dinner,I will have to try with some rich music. Thank you for the inspiration.
And that Pu’er colour would be lovely as a case for the N8, looks very fetching with the dials

Well, Pu’er is the red wine in Chinese tea. It is very popular in Southern part of China, we used to enjoy the Chinese Opera with a pot of Pu’er and some peanut or dried melon seed, so the synergy of Pu'er and music are rooted deep in our culture. :beerchug:

chinese-opera-23.jpg

Jul 6, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #592 of 3,873
We have send out the N8 engineering samples to our Japan dealer today as the Portable Audio Festival will take place on 14-15 July 2018.

Unfortunately the new prototype can't make it on time and we can only demonstrate the previous version (i.e., prototype we used at Munich and Bejing show). We are still fine tuning the new firmware after PCB revision, it works in general but not stable enough to demonstrate to public without appropriate technical support. We should be able to get this done by next week, so hopefully make it to CanJam London alright.

Jul 6, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #593 of 3,873
Well, Pu’er is the red wine in Chinese tea. It is very popular in Southern part of China, we used to enjoy the Chinese Opera with a pot of Pu’er and some peanut or dried melon seed, so the synergy of Pu'er and music are rooted deep in our culture. :beerchug:

chinese-opera-23.jpg
That sounds really good, I will make a pot of pu’er For myself when my Ha-1a comes in and contemplate if that is the same tone/sound signature or the N8

Jul 6, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #595 of 3,873
DAP design is full of compromise, so not surprised that different company will take a different stand on this issue. If portability or maintain a sleek design is the priority requirement, then adding 1mm to N8 in order to accomodate a bigger battery is a wrong decision. :ksc75smile:

30 hours balanced on 4.4 FLAC? What will be the rated output at this battery duration? 1V? or 5V+?
I am referring to the more meaningful "loaded power rating at 32ohm" figure which is a big different from unloaded power rating.
Can't give any specific metrics I'm afraid. I'm not sure if Sony ever disclosed it. And I only use iems, Empire Ears Zeus or Legend X, and afaik, they didn't disclose the impedance and dB@1K Hz. Sorry! x-D

We have send out the N8 engineering samples to our Japan dealer today as the Portable Audio Festival will take place on 14-15 July 2018.

Unfortunately the new prototype can't make it on time and we can only demonstrate the previous version (i.e., prototype we used at Munich and Bejing show). We are still fine tuning the new firmware after PCB revision, it works in general but not stable enough to demonstrate to public without appropriate technical support. We should be able to get this done by next week, so hopefully make it to CanJam London alright.
Dear Cayin, I am writing to you well in advance to ask for a MokuTi (Mokume Titanium) or Timascus (Tinamium Damascus) version of the N8, with the back engraving "From Cayin to Cagin with Love". For pick up at CanJam London of course :)

ps: j/k ^^
pps: I sure hope that we'll have the chance try the newer N8 prototypes two weeks from now

Jul 9, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #597 of 3,873
This is the first round prototype of bundled N8 protective case, we selected this dark gray leather after numerous consultation to our dealer. We'll improve the fit and details so you probably won't see a lot of stainless steel chassis other then the fully opened top area and dual knobs on the side.

20180709_104228.jpg
20180709_104349.jpg
20180709_104247.jpg

Jul 9, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #598 of 3,873
This is the first round prototype of bundled N8 protective case, we selected this dark gray leather after numerous consultation to our dealer. We'll improve the fit and details so you probably won't see a lot of stainless steel chassis other then the fully opened top area and dual knobs on the side.

I like it!

Jul 9, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #599 of 3,873

Lovely design so far!

Really curious how it sounds like :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back