Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Aug 31, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #3,496 of 3,873
Frankie, the most important bit of advice re the Utopias is DON'T listen to a pair that haven't been run-in properly. I first listened to a pair at a London hi-fi show and UK Importers didn't understand about running-in headphones so the treble was harsh & unappealing. I knew someone at the UK importers and managed to borrow a pair for 3 weeks over Christmas that year which weren't run-in either! I listened for about 2 mins and then stuck the borrowed Utopias on continuous music for 7 days before having another listen. I ordered my new pair from my dealer when I sent the borrowed pair back to the UL importers.

Aug 31, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #3,497 of 3,873
Frankie, the most important bit of advice re the Utopias is DON'T listen to a pair that haven't been run-in properly. I first listened to a pair at a London hi-fi show and UK Importers didn't understand about running-in headphones so the treble was harsh & unappealing. I knew someone at the UK importers and managed to borrow a pair for 3 weeks over Christmas that year which weren't run-in either! I listened for about 2 mins and then stuck the borrowed Utopias on continuous music for 7 days before having another listen. I ordered my new pair from my dealer when I sent the borrowed pair back to the UL importers.
Thank you for letting me know. So you are a Utopia fan as well. I think I will finally get a pair of headphones vs my many IEM’s, and I am still deciding, but I am aware of the Utopias and they seem to have very good reviews. I do not think I will be able to demo them so I am on the lookout if someone mentions headphones. If you have any other thoughts I would be happy to hear them ( did I just make a pun? ). Tks.

Aug 31, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #3,498 of 3,873
What we all like about a particular brand/model of headphone is often a contentious business lol. I love the sound of the Utopias having owned the AKG K812's previously, I think the slightly warmer style of the N8 matches perfectly with the detailed Utopias and they have plenty enough bass (for me). I use the N8 in Balanced and got OIDIO Cables to make me a balanced Mongrel series cable having previously used Moon Audio Black Dragon.
You have asked me to compare the Utopias with other IEM's or headphones but first I've never used IEM's and I don't think comparing the £1,400 AKG K812 to the £3,500 Utopia will help you much. Perhaps I can say I'm very happy to have stretched to the Utopias and have no plans whatsoever to dem any alternative but when N8 Mark 2 eventually comes out, I'd upgrade the DAP if the Mark 2 offered a decent upgrade. I'm also very happy with the Hugo 2 + Utopia combo but as I use my N8 much more than my Hugo 2 I decided against upgrading my Hugo 2 to a TT2. I'm sure it's a great SQ upgrade but it would be wasted in my instance.
Thank you for the info. I see you are using the 4.4mm balanced output on the N8. Does the headphone cable come that way, or is an adapter needed (I see you also have a custom cable, any thoughts on it vs stock?)? Tks.

Sep 17, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #3,501 of 3,873
Thank you for the info. I see you are using the 4.4mm balanced output on the N8. Does the headphone cable come that way, or is an adapter needed (I see you also have a custom cable, any thoughts on it vs stock?)? Tks.
Sorry I've been out of touch recently. You cannot convert a non-Balanced cable to Balanced with an adapter, you will need to buy a Balanced cable. You can use a 2.5mm Balanced cable with the N8's 4.4mm Balanced output if you use a 2.5 to 4.4mm adapter but it's nowhere as neat as using a Balanced cable with a 4.4mm jack. I can highly recommend OIDIO Cables, fair prices, nice work.

Sep 18, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #3,502 of 3,873
Sorry I've been out of touch recently. You cannot convert a non-Balanced cable to Balanced with an adapter, you will need to buy a Balanced cable. You can use a 2.5mm Balanced cable with the N8's 4.4mm Balanced output if you use a 2.5 to 4.4mm adapter but it's nowhere as neat as using a Balanced cable with a 4.4mm jack. I can highly recommend OIDIO Cables, fair prices, nice work.
Thank you. I think I was asking about the cable that comes with the Utopia. Did you need an adapter or was it a 4.4mm connection. It sounds like you had an OIDIO cable terminated with a 4.4mm connection. Tks.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #3,503 of 3,873
Thank you. I think I was asking about the cable that comes with the Utopia. Did you need an adapter or was it a 4.4mm connection. It sounds like you had an OIDIO vs me terminated with a 4.4mm connection. Tks.
Just change the end connection.

Sep 19, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #3,505 of 3,873
Oct 3, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #3,507 of 3,873
What is the difference between n8 and n8 brass beside color?
In terms of sound, not much really. The SS is supposed to be a bit warmer. My two cents, buy the color you like best as I am not sure you can really hear any difference. One advantage in my opinion for the BB is that it comes with the Dignis case which I consider the be the best case for the N8. Tks.

Oct 3, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #3,508 of 3,873
In terms of sound, not much really. The SS is supposed to be a bit warmer. My two cents, buy the color you like best as I am not sure you can really hear any difference. One advantage in my opinion for the BB is that it comes with the Dignis case which I consider the be the best case for the N8. Tks.
In thailand the brass sells for much much more expensive. Good to know they sound not much different lol

Oct 3, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #3,509 of 3,873
What about this new special edition units? Any sound differences there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back