Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Mar 23, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #1,651 of 3,873
I just joined the N8 family and I really love the sound. But the SW stability seems to be a problem. Two issues I have seen:

- LDAC connection does not work. I gets connected but both the Qobuz and YouTube applications are getting stuck when I start playing, on my Note9. I had the exact settings with my Note9 with WM1Z never had any issues playing LDAC. SBC works fine but that definitely is not what I am after.

- Once when I was trying different codecs etc, and I disconnected my phone and pressed the back arrow on N8, it says " the playing of the song will be stopped", I press OK and nothing happens. When I repeat it, again the same thing. Somehow although there is no connection, the SW is stuck at the "playing" state.

Anyone experienced these? Especially the first one? I am on FW 2.2.

I just tried my wife's LGv30 and LDAC works perfectly fine. Hmmm... As I am using the same settings as WM1Z I expected that it should also work fine also. Very strange.

We have a Personal Audio Fair in Hong Kong right now, my N8 was on loan to a headphone manufacturer for the show and I won't have it back until Tuesday. After I collect my N8, I'll try to find a Samsung mobile phone and connect to N8 in LDAC, let's see if there is any trick in the setting to make it work.

For the moment, have you disabled the HyByLink function? HiByLink connection will occupy the Bluetooth connection and stop you from using the LDAC feature. Did you try all three LDAC setting in the N8 bluetooth menu? Maybe you can take a photo of the Bluetooth setup page of your N8 and PM to me, that should help me to understand the situation further.

10202016.png

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 23, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #1,652 of 3,873
Andy, I was just wondering, can you give us a hint as to what Cayin will be announcing for the Munich Show? Will it be desktop or portable? High end or low? Tks.

Sorry. we have to make sure the product is ready to demonstrate to public before we disclose any information.

Mar 23, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #1,653 of 3,873
Ok, well then, how about a mini N8 with 3.5 and 4.4 with only a solid state amp ?

We don't have any alternative or simplified version of N8 in our plan.

For what you have suggested, if we were to use the same chassis, screen, MCU, power management circuit and the custom 7000 mAH battery, removing the Nutube will probably lower the N8 retail by something between $300 to $500 (depends on the final circuit changed involved) only. We need to make a new PCB, go through all the safety test, WiFi and Bluetooth registration all over the world. If we were to adopt a different design and come out with a new chassis and adopt another screen, the development (and supply chain) cost and time will be tripled at least. We don't see a lot of new business opportunity on this project at this moment.

Last edited:

Mar 23, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #1,654 of 3,873
About this QC compatible charger

Is that a requirement, or even a safety concern, in that we should use one?

Can i not just plug the N8 into the wall outlet with a supplied cable?

i have never bought any separate charging accessories for any of my electronics

i assume the N8 is QC compatible but does not come with a QC cable/etc?

Would any/all of these devices be acceptable?

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=qc+adapte...063526&tag=googcana-20&ref=pd_sl_197l8b923v_b

Are there any cautions to be alert to when purchasing a QC device for the N8 (volts/amps or other power concerns?)

Cheers

The USB cable bundled in N8 package is QC compatible, so you only need to acquire a QC compatible charger, you don't need to acquire a new USB cable.

You can charge the N8 with regular 5V USB charger, it will take longer to charger it up. Roughly 6 hours for a standard 5V2A charger, 8-9 hours for a 5V1A charger, and 12-14 hours if you were to charge it from your notebook computer (limited to 0.5A in most cases).

Any 18W QC compatible charger should works fine, so the chargers you find on Amazon should work, but I am a bit skeptical on those non-brand chargers, they might output the 9V or 12V charging current alright but might skipped the power management features partial or completely. Please go for a brand that is reputable in your country.

Last edited:

Mar 23, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #1,656 of 3,873
The USB cable bundled in N8 package is QC compatible, so you only need to acquire a QC compatible charger, you don't need to acquire a new USB cable.

You can charge the N8 with regular 5V USB charger, it will take longer to charger it up. Roughly 6 hours for a standard 5V2A charger, 8-9 hours for a 5V1A charger, and 12-14 hours if you were to charge it from your notebook computer (limited to 0.5A in most cases).

Any 18W QC compatible charger should works fine, so the chargers you find on Amazon should work, but I am a bit skeptical on those non-brand chargers, they might output the 9V or 12V charging current alright but might skipped the power management features partial or completely. Please go for a brand that is reputable in your country.
Cheers Andy

Mar 24, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #1,657 of 3,873
We have a Personal Audio Fair in Hong Kong right now, my N8 was on loan to a headphone manufacturer for the show and I won't have it back until Tuesday. After I collect my N8, I'll try to find a Samsung mobile phone and connect to N8 in LDAC, let's see if there is any trick in the setting to make it work.

For the moment, have you disabled the HyByLink function? HiByLink connection will occupy the Bluetooth connection and stop you from using the LDAC feature. Did you try all three LDAC setting in the N8 bluetooth menu? Maybe you can take a photo of the Bluetooth setup page of your N8 and PM to me, that should help me to understand the situation further.

10202016.png

Thanks Andy. I tried all 3 settings and the result is the same. As I said, it works fine with LGv30. twister6 also said it works with his S9.

Samsung uses different SoCs for different locations. Mine is N960F with Exynos 9810, whis is used in European models. In US the use Snapdragon 845. This might make a difference in the Bluetooth stack they use. I think it is best to try it with a similar SoC model. LGv30 uses Snapdragon 835.

If it would help the SW team I can try to generate logs, if it is possible.

I also reproduced the second issue and made a video of it but it is too big to upload here. If you like I can upload it somewhere.

Thanks.

Mar 24, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #1,658 of 3,873
Thanks Andy. I tried all 3 settings and the result is the same. As I said, it works fine with LGv30. twister6 also said it works with his S9.

Samsung uses different SoCs for different locations. Mine is N960F with Exynos 9810, whis is used in European models. In US the use Snapdragon 845. This might make a difference in the Bluetooth stack they use. I think it is best to try it with a similar SoC model. LGv30 uses Snapdragon 835.

I also reproduced the second issue and made a video of it but it is too big to upload here. If you like I can upload it somewhere.

Thanks.

Upload to Google drive and send me the link?

I just checked, S9 in HK and Mainland China are based on Snapdragon 845, so our test might not be directly relevant to you. I'll check with our Engineer and find out what we can do next week.

Mar 24, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #1,660 of 3,873

Thanks.
Please check the Bluetooth settings of your phone.Make sure that you have set N8 as the Bluetooth media audio device and set the Bluetooth encoder/decoder to LDAC.

Have you tried to initiate the Bluetooth connection request from Note9 to N8? If not, I suggest that you try to do this.

Mar 25, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #1,661 of 3,873
Please check the Bluetooth settings of your phone.Make sure that you have set N8 as the Bluetooth media audio device and set the Bluetooth encoder/decoder to LDAC.

Have you tried to initiate the Bluetooth connection request from Note9 to N8? If not, I suggest that you try to do this.

Thank you for your reply.

As I said:

- I am able to connect, both in LDAC and SBC modes using my Note9.
- In SBC playing works fine, but in LDAC looks like there is no data transfer happening. Playing YouTube or Qobuz blocks playing. The application increases the seconds like every 10 seconds on Qobuz (didn't measure) but there's no audio on N8.
- The same settings worked fine to play with LDAC from my Note9 to WM1Z.
- Playing from my wife's LGv30 with LDAC works. I set the same settings in Developer Settings on my Note9 but doesn't help.
- Yes I initiate the connection from my mobile and result is the same.

Mar 25, 2019 at 3:09 AM Post #1,662 of 3,873
Hi, Andykong.
I'm really happy with the N8 DAP but some FW issues are annoying for me. You can put them to Product Backlog and discuss with your team)
1. It's cool to have quick access to the System/Music Settings by gesture up from bottom, but how often do you need to change smth? And by this feature I have got narrower area to scroll lists (of songs, albums, etc.) without pulling up settings menu.
2. Back button icon has small tapping area and need more accuracy. It would be great to enlarge it without increasing icon size.

Mar 25, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #1,663 of 3,873
It is not a complaint this time: I am driving SE/tube my Focal Stellia with low gain settings and with about 50% volume I am getting amazing sound! Stellia+N8 is really a portable dream team! I am huuuugely happy with the result.

Mar 25, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #1,664 of 3,873
It is not a complaint this time: I am driving SE/tube my Focal Stellia with low gain settings and with about 50% volume I am getting amazing sound! Stellia+N8 is really a portable dream team! I am huuuugely happy with the result.
Ha, stella on the go ? In on the go right now with the N8 and TH900.

Mar 25, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #1,665 of 3,873
Ha, stella on the go ? In on the go right now with the N8 and TH900.

Yes! I had it on a trip last week and wow! Very very good. There might be (slightly) better sounding HPs out there but Stellia is built like a tank. A real traveller's dream. And with N8... No words. I loved how N8 sounds, especially that it sound so good SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back