Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Oct 9, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #976 of 3,873
Sometimes it can be a little tricky using the click wheel, but the sound is extraordinarily clean, detailed, and musical. The player has really good resolution, while still maintaining musicality. I would classify extremely neutral as well.

I dont know why but when you say extreamly neutral some reasons I get woried about it.
Thats the 2 top daps I am actually concidering right now and still awaiting more reviews :)
I also have very sensitive iems that pickup hiss very easily. More sensitivive then andromeda and shure se846!
The empire ears phantom.
Some reviewer recommended me the LPGT due to hiss issues.

Oct 9, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #977 of 3,873
I dont know why but when you say extreamly neutral some reasons I get woried about it.
Thats the 2 top daps I am actually concidering right now and still awaiting more reviews :)
I also have very sensitive iems that pickup hiss very easily. More sensitivive then andromeda and shure se846!
The empire ears phantom.
Some reviewer recommended me the LPGT due to hiss issues.

My QP1R didn't hiss with Shure SE846 IEM, but I no longer use IEMs.

Oct 9, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #978 of 3,873
It takes the N8 off the table for me, but I'm still watching the thread. I was kind of leaning toward the gold Sony for battery life and because lower heat devices tend to last longer.
I already have the black Sony and I am quite happy with the NW - WM1A. The N8 seems like a fascinating device having said all that.

Let's hope you can audition our N8 in near future. :beerchug:

Regarding the issue "lower heat devices tend to last longer", I would like to offer a different observation.

From engineering point of view, the critical issue is to get the heat OUT as efficient as possible, For instance, the CNC Stainless Steel chassis of N8 act like a big piece of heat sink, and we have apply PGS to heat generating components to increase the efficiency of heat dissipation and spread the heat across the chassis evenly. As a result of that, you'll feel the heat of machine. You might not like it and worry that the player will have a short life because of that, but that's the right thing to do.

Let's illustrate this concept with some figures. Because of what we have done, we can control the temperature different between the internal (circuit board) and external (chassis) of N8 to 5°C or less. The temperature of N8 chassis is between 36-40°C during playback, so the internal temperature will be around 41°C to 46°C. On the other hand, If we didn't management the heat correctly, the temperature different will easily go up to 10-15 degree. In other word, when the chassis stay cool at 32°C-36°C degree, the internal will go up to 45°C-50°C degree. It is obvious that the first option is a better outcome despite users will worry about the heat problem.

Having said that, the modern electronic components are designed to operate at a much higher temperature. google the operation temperature of the key components we have published and you should not the following:

PGA2311UA, -40°C to 85°C
OPA1622 -40°C to 125°C
AK4497EQ -40°C to 85°C
MUSES02 -40°C to 85°C

If the operation temperature of N8 is around 45°C, its probably is very hot for user experience, but it probably won't cause any adverse implication to the product operation life. :smile:

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 9, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #981 of 3,873
Components are known to work upto 150C. I agree that 45-50C is nothing for components, but that will not be comfortable for human on skins contact for a prolonged time :D
That's why I have it inside a pouch which I clip onto my belt when I'm on the go...wouldn't want to slow cook my butt. :grin:

Oct 10, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #982 of 3,873
My dealer is taking pre orders for cayin n8. The price is 3634 usd after currency conversion.
Jaben hong kong is asking approx. 2800usd.

Oct 10, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #984 of 3,873
My dealer is taking pre orders for cayin n8. The price is 3634 usd after currency conversion.
Jaben hong kong is asking approx. 2800usd.

Wow thats over 1k dollars difference in CND for me

Who is this Jaben hong kong company ?

Are they a well established and trusted company ?

Is selling audio gear what they do and have done for years ?

I ve never heard of tham , so no disrespect . I am just asking

Thanks

Oct 10, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #986 of 3,873
Oct 10, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #987 of 3,873
I have known them for years through my headfi buddies on FB. It is well known in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia (even me!). Here is Jaben’s website:

https://store.jaben.com/

Thank you mate

I sent an email and a FB message

Their site does not show N8 yet , so obv. not a price yet

But if lithiumnk (PS thanks mate ) is correct it looks like i will be able to afford this DAP

it is very nice and worth noting to all my fellow Canadians , that it seems electronics from China is duty free (I have to verify that tho . A broker agency just told me that not the gov`t)

So if this all works out , and if (i suspect it will) jaben Hong Kong checks out all i have to be concerned with is a warranty in Canada

Will i still get the full warranty from Cayin if i buy from Jaben ?

PS have the technical issues been addressed yet by cayin , and maybe cleared up?

Cheers

Oct 10, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #988 of 3,873
Wow thats over 1k dollars difference in CND for me

Who is this Jaben hong kong company ?

Are they a well established and trusted company ?

Is selling audio gear what they do and have done for years ?

I ve never heard of tham , so no disrespect . I am just asking

Thanks
Jaben have multiple stores in east Asia.

Jaben HK is over 10 years old with access to a wide variety of products at their stores.

I have purchased a few products from them. They have an excellent service, quick to reply on FB messenger.

Their website is not updated. Just ask then directly about any product. They have n8 stocks right now.

Oct 10, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #989 of 3,873
Jaben have multiple stores in east Asia.

Jaben HK is over 10 years old with access to a wide variety of products at their stores.

I have purchased a few products from them. They have an excellent service, quick to reply on FB messenger.

Their website is not updated. Just ask then directly about any product. They have n8 stocks right now.
Thank you mate

Oct 10, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #990 of 3,873
Thank you mate

I sent an email and a FB message

Their site does not show N8 yet , so obv. not a price yet

But if lithiumnk (PS thanks mate ) is correct it looks like i will be able to afford this DAP

it is very nice and worth noting to all my fellow Canadians , that it seems electronics from China is duty free (I have to verify that tho . A broker agency just told me that not the gov`t)

So if this all works out , and if (i suspect it will) jaben Hong Kong checks out all i have to be concerned with is a warranty in Canada

Will i still get the full warranty from Cayin if i buy from Jaben ?

PS have the technical issues been addressed yet by cayin , and maybe cleared up?

Cheers

Cayin don't accept warranty and repair request from customer direct. For the record, we only offered limited international warranty to our products. If you buy from Hong Kong, your warranty stay with Hong Kong dealer. Anything happened, you have to send the DAP back to your seller in HK for warranty service. Please find out if the HK seller will charge you in logistic when they send the DAP back to you after repair before you commit. In our experience, its easier to arrive at a "decent" agreement BEFORE you pay for the product rather then leave it till you needed the service desperately.

Be reminded that China is a heavy tax country, all incoming electronic products are subject up to 20% import tax. If the product were send back through our official dealers, we can easily waived the tax as everything is well documented in advanced (our shipment record with serial number). Receiving repair items from overseas are not so straightforward, we had experience when we need to pay the tax even when the product carry our own name. Hong Kong is very closed to China, they can hand carry the DAP over the border and then send it back to us through domestic mail, there is a reason why their price is lower than other international dealers.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back