Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Oct 8, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #961 of 3,873
Oh neet. Can you share your experience and preferences on daps. I am also very interested by lotoo paw gold touch. Can you share lphd vs the sony 1a please.

I have been on a Sony kick lately, so I'll have to put some listening time in back and forth. The LPG is far more powerful, and it is more aggressive in its presentation. From the balanced output I believe the Sony has a wider soundstage and is more laid-back in presentation. It is very pleasant for rock or metal music. The LPG is much better for jazz and classical. LPG really has an upfront mid-range and I'm midbass Focus. Lately, I have been preferring the Sony. With the right headphones though, the LPG can be absolutely stunning and its resolution which is better than the Sony. The resolution and detail of the LPG is unparalleled. That's great for a lot of music, but it can get overly aggressive and distractive for other genres.
I never sell players because I literally get in moods for one over the other all the time.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #962 of 3,873
Thanks for the impression. Wander if you were using 4.4mm balanced or 3.5mm single-ended? Tube output?

I had listened to N8 + Empyrean when both were in prototype stage, before the High Impedance High Output mode was implemented. So I am looking forward to check out the synergy of N8 + Empyrean at production versions.
So I actually demoed Empyrean on the full desktop rig they had, and then I ran my personal set of Campfire Comets with the N8 via the 3.5mm SE output, switching between sold state and the NuTube. The NuTube mode sounds just wonderful and it was sad to walk away. As a side note, I was really impressed with how beefy and solid the N8 and its controls feel.

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #963 of 3,873
Hello, please define "vastly" because if is vastly better than the 1Z ,then is the best player in the world, did you ear it with the latest 3.0 firmware? I find funny some impressions vary so much from people to people, i am very curious in some more opinions, in this top of the line stuff saying that some is better or worse is useless, is a metter of taste , i have both 1Z and sp1000cu and they don'y play the same, but, i love the two, and by the way the 1Z ia way better than 1A ,i had both at the same time
No, it's not the best dap in every aspect but sonically it is one of the best, along with the LPG Touch.

I haven't heard the SP1000CU, only the SS.

I found the N8 vastly better than the 1Z because it basically takes its sound signature, but refines and pushes it to a much higher level. It has the feel of the 1Z but at the same time has a very high level of technicality that the 1Z lacks.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #964 of 3,873
Someday I will. I currently have a Lotoo Paw Gold Diana, a Questyle QP1R, and a Sony NW - WM1A. Hopefully China and the United States will reach a trade bill at some point.
How are the QP1Rs? I have yet to hear one so far.

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #965 of 3,873
I have been on a Sony kick lately, so I'll have to put some listening time in back and forth. The LPG is far more powerful, and it is more aggressive in its presentation. From the balanced output I believe the Sony has a wider soundstage and is more laid-back in presentation. It is very pleasant for rock or metal music. The LPG is much better for jazz and classical. LPG really has an upfront mid-range and I'm midbass Focus. Lately, I have been preferring the Sony. With the right headphones though, the LPG can be absolutely stunning and its resolution which is better than the Sony. The resolution and detail of the LPG is unparalleled. That's great for a lot of music, but it can get overly aggressive and distractive for other genres.
I never sell players because I literally get in moods for one over the other all the time.
I'm curious how the original LPG compares to the SP1000ss.

I've only compared the LPG Touch with the SP1000ss and though the SP1000ss comes out ahead in detail, the LPG Touch has a bigger soundstage, though not as big as the N8's though.

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #967 of 3,873
No, it's not the best dap in every aspect but sonically it is one of the best, along with the LPG Touch.

I found the N8 vastly better than the 1Z because it basically takes its sound signature, but refines pushes it to a much higher level. It has the feel of the 1Z but at the same time has a very high level of technicality that the 1Z lacks.
To me the N8 is kinda like a more powerful sounding 1Z. I also really like using the HiByMusic app on my phone to control the N8 via bluetooth, it is just super convenient to being able to change tracks, albums, volume etc. without having to pull the player out of the pouch I normally carry it in while on the go.

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #968 of 3,873
Sorry but I still don't get what you meant by all these but I got your point on N8 having bigger sound stage tho..
Detail, resolution, instrument separation, layering, and micro dynamics are resolved better on the N8.

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #969 of 3,873
To me the N8 is kinda like a more powerful sounding 1Z. I also really like using the HiByMusic app on my phone to control the N8 via bluetooth, it is just super convenient to being able to change tracks, albums, volume etc. without having to pull the player out of the pouch I normally carry it in while on the go.
It's like a denser sound right? That's because it's better controlled.

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #970 of 3,873
Being in Canada I will ask

Since we dont have a trade war with China , can we not , here in canada not buy the DAP without this surplus added froma trade war we are not part of?

Can we canadians not order this from China ourselves ?

Why is the USA trade war costing us Canadians with China?

Please excuse if thats ignorance , this entire economics issue is not my forte

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #971 of 3,873
Tariff's imposed to bring more burden on consumer who buys the products. What's the point in increasing the price?
Unless you want to make up for lost in opportunities or profit due to tariff. Either way consumer's always a sucker.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #972 of 3,873
The economy was created to serve humanity, sadly today humanity is in service of the economy!

Oct 9, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #973 of 3,873

I found the N8 vastly better than the 1Z because it basically takes its sound signature, but refines and pushes it to a much higher level. It has the feel of the 1Z but at the same time has a very high level of technicality that the 1Z lacks.
So you also heard the LPGT? How does that DAP compare to the N8?

Oct 9, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #974 of 3,873
How are the QP1Rs? I have yet to hear one so far.

Sometimes it can be a little tricky using the click wheel, but the sound is extraordinarily clean, detailed, and musical. The player has really good resolution, while still maintaining musicality. I would classify extremely neutral as well.

Oct 9, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #975 of 3,873
So you also heard the LPGT? How does that DAP compare to the N8?

The Paw Gold Touch can be best described as a compromise between the N8 and the SP1000.

Its not as holographic as the SP1000 but it has some of it. The soundstage is not massive like the N8 but it's noticeably more spacious compared to the SP1000. Lets say the N8 is rated a 20 for soundstage and the SP1000 a 15. The Paw Gold Touch would be a 17.

In terms of tonality it would be closer to the SP1000 but with a bit more body.

Personally I found the Paw Gold Touch to be the most neutral among the three.

In terms of ergonomics the N8 would be the nicest to hold and the SP1000 being a bit cumbersome due to its width. The N8 is very thick though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back