Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Aug 22, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #826 of 3,873
My local dealer is bringing in a unit next month, Andy can you verify if the Australian stock will arrive at the same time as the demo unit?
Also can more detail on dlna and MQA approval is greatly appreciated.

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #828 of 3,873
I did not know N8 has dlna support! This now makes deciding between LPGT and N8 much simpler!

Can N8 do DSD upsampling in the fly? This is a feature that Valoq has, and I have gotten addictive to DSD playback on AKM chip.

My local dealer is bringing in a unit next month, Andy can you verify if the Australian stock will arrive at the same time as the demo unit?
Also can more detail on dlna and MQA approval is greatly appreciated.

I didn't know N8 has DLNA, did your Australia rep tells you about that? Theoretically we can implement DLNA into N8 because it has WiFi built-in, but we only implement it for OTA firmware upgrade right now. Because N8 is operated under a proprietary OS, DLNA is not a given and we need to develop coding for this features, right now we don't have any schedule to implement this in N8.

Cayin is conservative to the over-sampling approach and our DAC are, to a large extend NOS (non-over-sampling) DAC by design. There is a lot of discussion available on Internet to compare the two approach, here and here are examples of that. N8 is not 100% NOS because AK4497 requires a digital filter setting in normal operation, but besides that, we don't include any Over Sampling feature, not even from 16/44.1 to 24/88.2, real time DSD upsampling is not facilitated.

MQA is a licensed technology, before we can acquire a proper validation, we can't promote, indicate or promise this feature in our product. The best I can tell is Cayin is working with MQA to investigate the feasibility to introduce this technology into Cayin's digital products. Its up to you to read between lines now.

I can't tell you the order status of A1Future until we have shipped it out from our port. The earliest delivery date of N8 to oversee market is late September, and that agree with A1Future's statement in principle, I can only advice you to work out a pre-order arrangement with them if they can give you a firm price quotation already. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 22, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #829 of 3,873
Thanks mate WOW how thorough

Please forgive if i ve asked this before , looking at my notes i may have not

Does that 4mm to dual XLR (M) balanced line output adapter allow me to plug in my male xlrs (on my headphones) into the XLR end , and plug the 4mm balanced ito the N8 balanced female?

Or is it as i suspect a full male line , male also on full sized XLR end?

If so , i will need the same thing you have there , but female ends on the full sized XLR end ?

I'll explain the line out feature later, but in short, the Line out will bypass the Headphone amplifier module, it will only have a dedicated line driver module before output, so the current capacity is SIGNIFICANTLY lower then the phone out, so you cannot use the line out to drive a headphone.

The adapter terminated with XLR (M), and dual XLR headphone cables are terminated with XLR (Male) as well, therefore you cannot plug a dual XLR headphone cable to our 4.4 to dual XLR adapter. You can to custom order a 4.4 to XLR4 (F) or 4.4 to dual XLR (F) adapter.

fe46ac7e-2d3d-4ea5-9b72-95151650f35e.jpg

Aug 22, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #830 of 3,873
I didn't know N8 has DLNA, did your Australia rep tells you about that? Theoretically we can implement DLNA into N8 because it has WiFi built-in, but we only implement it for OTA firmware upgrade right now. Because N8 is operated under a proprietary OS, DLNA is not a given and we need to develop coding for this features, right now we don't have any schedule to implement this in N8.

Cayin is conservative to the over-sampling approach and our DAC are, to a large extend NOS (non-over-sampling) DAC by design. There is a lot of discussion available on Internet to compare the two approach, here and here are examples of that. N8 is not 100% NOS because AK4497 requires a digital filter setting in normal operation, but besides that, we don't include any Over Sampling feature, not even from 16/44.1 to 24/88.2, real time DSD upsampling is not supported.

MQA is a licensed technology, before we can acquire a proper validation, we can't promote, indicate or promise this feature in our product. The best I can tell is Cayin is working with MQA to investigate the feasibility to introduce this technology into Cayin's digital products. Its up to you to read between lines now.

I can't tell you the order status of A1Future until we have shipped it out from our port. The earliest delivery date of N8 to oversee market is late September, and that agree with A1Future's statement in principle, I can only advice you to work out a pre-order arrangement with them if they can give you a firm price quotation already. :beerchug:

Where can I demo the N8 . i am in canada montreal the far east close to the north pole lol
I travel a lot for work in united states from montreal down to Florida.
Any chance to pass by a dealer somewhere in us to try a unit pls?

Aug 23, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #831 of 3,873

I do hope A1future can get their demo in a near future. I'm 80% sold. I can see myself enjoying the N8 using the KSE1500 plugged right into the 3.5mm tube output.
Regarding DLNA I actually saw it in a link posted on Cayin main site: http://cn.cayin.cn/bbs/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=488
As someone who loves using their phone because of its dlna setting, I truly hope dlna support is implemented on N8. Nowadays portable wifi HDD are so cheap and fast that I like the idea of having my entire music library on me anywhere. Something like My Passport wireless SSD can both power the N8, as well as provide read speed of 390 MB/s, fast enough for any audio files!

090501tozrpzlioplcplco.jpg

Aug 23, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #832 of 3,873
May I know what FPGA is using in DSP stage ? Would love I2S with DSD512 output or 768khz PCM LoL. Btw, I never have known that there is any Sigma Delta that don’t do Oversampling. The AK4497EQ is 256x Oversampling by itself

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #835 of 3,873
Does N8 look beautiful DAP to you? What about its sound?
Early on a few people already disliked it's design but some like me don't really care as long as it sounds good.

And it sounds superb :D

Aug 23, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #837 of 3,873
I found the unit to look better in real life than photos.

Aug 23, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #838 of 3,873
Where can I demo the N8 . i am in canada montreal the far east close to the north pole lol
I travel a lot for work in united states from montreal down to Florida.
Any chance to pass by a dealer somewhere in us to try a unit pls?

N8 will ship to international dealer by end of September, so demo units should be available by early October. You can contact our Canada distributor ASONA and they should be able to tell you which shop will have Cayin N8 available for audition.
http://en.cayin.cn/netword/show?c=129&ctype=2&smallid=187&id=13487

ASONA has exhibited at TAVES Consumer Electronics Show last year, so there is a good chance that they'll join TAVES this year as well, worth checking out with them if you'll be at Ontario during Oct. 12 - Oct. 14, 2018

Aug 23, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #839 of 3,873
I do hope A1future can get their demo in a near future. I'm 80% sold. I can see myself enjoying the N8 using the KSE1500 plugged right into the 3.5mm tube output.
Regarding DLNA I actually saw it in a link posted on Cayin main site: http://cn.cayin.cn/bbs/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=488
As someone who loves using their phone because of its dlna setting, I truly hope dlna support is implemented on N8. Nowadays portable wifi HDD are so cheap and fast that I like the idea of having my entire music library on me anywhere. Something like My Passport wireless SSD can both power the N8, as well as provide read speed of 390 MB/s, fast enough for any audio files!

090501tozrpzlioplcplco.jpg

That's a very early version of N8 product plan, we have deviated from that and focused on audio related circuit design. We need more time to perfect the Nutube implementation and complete the High Impedance High Output mode (which was not mentioned in the earlier plan) ASAP.

If A1Future has promised you a N8 demo, that shouldn't be a big problem, you should wait until you hear the real thing in person before you make the final decision. Bring a few friends with you, that might motivate A1Future to speed up their PO decision. :beerchug:

Aug 23, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #840 of 3,873
May I know what FPGA is using in DSP stage ? Would love I2S with DSD512 output or 768khz PCM LoL. Btw, I never have known that there is any Sigma Delta that don’t do Oversampling. The AK4497EQ is 256x Oversampling by itself

The FPGA chip is SA2000V2, but I don't think you can find a lot of information about this DSP engine because this is more of less a proprietary chipset.

Most, if not all, DAP that supports oversampling and DSD transcoding will involve an additional SRC chip such as the AK4137, we have evaluated the Pros and Cons to add a SRC chip into the DSP module but we decided to stay with our NOS preference. I have provided several links that explained the different between the OS and NOS approaches, I hope you have explored them already. There is no clear winner between these two approaches, its a matter of preference and implementation. Sorry if this is a deal breaker to you, N8 will NOT have oversampling feature.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back