Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Jun 7, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #541 of 3,873
So this is what we are doing right now. When R&D finalized their circuit design, supply chain will place order for the components and engineers will start to transfer the design to production, the process will take 2 months but the N8 is so complicated and involve a lot of new design and implementation, we expect the process will take a little bit longer then our average practice. We need to go through the finest details and optimize the design before we mass production.

Take the Nutube installation as example, we have to minimize the microphonics effect which is a common issue in tube amplification, It doesn't necessarily be an expensive procedure, but the implication to sound performance is noticeable. As you can see in these photos, Cayin didn't solved the problem by using expensive components, we rely on our know how and experience. The solutions probably looks boring or even disgusting to some, but it works effectively.

Another important optimization is to clean up the circuit layout, get rids of the ground loops and isolate the circuit into layers properly. We have issued a new PCB layout earlier this week, and hopefully the revised N8 engineering samples will just in time for the Toyko Portable Audio Festival (14-15 July 2018) and CanJam London (21-22 July 2018), so if you will attend one of these shows, please drop by Cayin booth and check out our N8 DAP. :beerchug::beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 7, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #543 of 3,873
Cool! What do I win? An N8 for my very own? I will hug it and love it and squeeze it and call it George! :L3000:

Yes, You just win an N8 ............... Hi-res photo, you can tell me whether you want it raw or PS well-done, I'll send them out ASAP. :ksc75smile:

Jun 7, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #544 of 3,873
So this is what we are doing right now. When R&D finalized their circuit design, supply chain will place order for the components and engineers will start to transfer the design to production, the process will take 2 months but the N8 is so complicated and involve a lot of new design and implementation, we expect the process will take a little bit longer then our average practice. We need to go through the finest details and optimize the design before we mass production.

Take the Nutube installation as example, we have to minimize the microphonics effect which is a common issue in tube amplification, It doesn't necessarily be an expensive procedure, but the implication to sound performance is noticeable. As you can see in these photos, Cayin didn't solved the problem by using expensive components, we rely on our know how and experience. The solutions probably looks boring or even disgusting to some, but it works effectively.

Another important optimization is to clean up the circuit layout, get rids of the ground loops and isolate the circuit into layers properly. We have issued a new PCB layout earlier this week, and hopefully the revised N8 engineering samples will just in time for the Toyko Portable Audio Festival (14-15 July 2018) and CanJam London (21-22 July 2018), so if you will attend one of these shows, please drop by Cayin booth and check out our N8 DAP. :beerchug::beerchug:

On the version I heard (briefly), the balanced side had a warm and full signature. Is that the intended positioning or do you intend to retune / tweak it. I am not saying it does not sound good.

Jun 7, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #545 of 3,873
On the version I heard (briefly), the balanced side had a warm and full signature. Is that the intended positioning or do you intend to retune / tweak it. I am not saying it does not sound good.

The sound signature is finalized, we are not going to tweak the sound signature again, but trying to clean up the circuit board from R&D. Optimization is a tedious and time consuming process, if you get to see the R&D board, you'll notice there are wires "jumping" between components directly, these are last minutes circuit changes that we need to rectified in the PCB revision. In addition, we have manually replaced some components during sound tweaking. plus we'll try to group all the grounding-related circuit related to a dedicated layer in PCB. That's why we need to redo the PCB layout and we expect we need to do at least two more rounds of PCB layout before N8 become production ready.

By the way, our CEO @Thomas Cayin wound like to thank you for dropping by our booth at the Bejing show, he was standing nearby when you check out N8 and taking photo with your Sony,He did notice you only use 4.4mm output of N8, he don't want to interrupt you during your audition so he waited there to greet you and explain N8 features to you afterward, unfortunately he got drag away by someone before you finish your audition, so he missed that window and want to say sorry for our negligence in taking care of a "stand-out" visitors. :beerchug:

Last edited:

Jun 8, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #546 of 3,873
The sound signature is finalized, we are not going to tweak the sound signature again, but trying to clean up the circuit board from R&D. Optimization is a tedious and time consuming process, if you get to see the R&D board, you'll notice there are wires "jumping" between components directly, these are last minutes circuit changes that we need to rectified in the PCB revision. In addition, we have manually replaced some components during sound tweaking. plus we'll try to group all the grounding-related circuit related to a dedicated layer in PCB. That's why we need to redo the PCB layout and we expect we need to do at least two more rounds of PCB layout before N8 become production ready.

By the way, our CEO @Thomas Cayin wound like to thank you for dropping by our booth at the Bejing show, he was standing nearby when you check out N8 and taking photo with your Sony,He did notice you only use 4.4mm output of N8, he don't want to interrupt you during your audition so he waited there to greet you and explain N8 features to you afterward, unfortunately he got drag away by someone before you finish your audition, so he missed that window and want to say sorry for our negligence in taking care of a "stand-out" visitors. :beerchug:

No problem of course, I am sorry I didn't get to try single ended but it is no big deal, the people at the booth were lovely. Would you say the sound signature of the SE is fairly similar to balanced, warmer, or more neutral?

Jun 8, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #547 of 3,873
As we await pricing , which will be my deciding factor

I bought my N6 from a shop in Toronto Ontario , very fine service and shipped to me(I think they threw in the skin?)

I forget their name now

Where in Canada , prefer Ontario , will i be able to buy this N8 if all goes well ?

Im also worried that all this politics nonsense , and tariffs will effect this ?

Maybe not , because if its from China to Canada , with no USA involvement , Canada is on healthy terms with China

Cheers

Jun 8, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #548 of 3,873
No problem of course, I am sorry I didn't get to try single ended but it is no big deal, the people at the booth were lovely. Would you say the sound signature of the SE is fairly similar to balanced, warmer, or more neutral?

To my ears, they are similar signature but with full sound and better body, but since I don't have an IEM with 4.4mm and 3.5mm cable at the same time, so that was an impression after testing several headphones and IEMs instead of a direct AB comparison.

Jun 8, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #549 of 3,873
Hmm...I was waiting to see how much this monster will cost me...if the price is good I will get it...been a supporter of Cayin for many years. I still have my Cayin MT-35 tube amp with me

Jun 8, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #550 of 3,873
To my ears, they are similar signature but with full sound and better body, but since I don't have an IEM with 4.4mm and 3.5mm cable at the same time, so that was an impression after testing several headphones and IEMs instead of a direct AB comparison.
Thanks for the impression :)

Jun 10, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #552 of 3,873

Hi Andy,
I am looking forward to hear the sound of N8 at Toyko Portable Audio Festival.

Jun 11, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #553 of 3,873
Are you guys planning to be at CanJam Denver? I'd love to meet the team and check out the N8.

Jun 15, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #554 of 3,873
I know it is apple and oranges but sonically does N8 and CS-100DAC share anything?

CS-100DAC appears to be one great value for money. I just wish it was an all in one unit.

Well if you insist, we can feed an USB input to both CS-100DAC and N8 and then compare their line out to a desktop amplifier or HA-300. We haven't conduct any test along this line, so to play safe, I have to say I don't know. :k701smile:

By the way, there is one thing common between N8 and CS-100DAC: the two project are lead by the same Senior Engineer, so maybe they do share some similarity in terms of design philosophy. :beerchug:

Jun 15, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #555 of 3,873
Hi Andy,
I am looking forward to hear the sound of N8 at Toyko Portable Audio Festival.

Very good, please come back and share your impression.

Are you guys planning to be at CanJam Denver? I'd love to meet the team and check out the N8.

Unfortunately we don't have any plan to attend CanJam RMAF at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back