Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Jan 9, 2024 at 5:28 AM Post #1,761 of 1,852
Hello friends,

I have my desktop Imac24 via Usb-c to a Schiit MMB2 dac, via RCA, to a Gilmore Lite MK2 amp with dedicated PS.

A simple and inexpensive, solution, yet with good QS considering the price/quality ratio.

Within the house, for mobility, I use my iPhone 13 mini with a dongle.

I was thinking of getting a streamer, as a better desktop source, and then realized that I could invest in a good DAP that could have several purposes:

- In my desktop rig, as a streamer source and maybe even a dac to feed the Gilmore amp. - this way I could sell the Schiit dac in order to help and fund the DAP purchase;

- For portability around the house using my low impedance Headphones and IEM/Porta Pro.

I believe the N7 could fulfill that role almost to perfection, what do you think?
It is my understanding that the N7 internal DAC is very good and could perfectly feed the Gilmore via the 3,5mm line Out with a 3,5 to RCA cable.

Considering price, SQ, portability, I cannot think of any other DAP that could so easily fulfill these multiple tasks, but I can be wrong and would love to read your opinions on this.

Thank you and cheers.

Jan 9, 2024 at 5:43 AM Post #1,762 of 1,852
Thanks for the reply, how do I reboot if it's stuck?
I don't remember exactly the combination of the buttons, but in my opinion it is necessary to hold down the power button and the forward button and hold until the player restarts

To get out of a boot loop or completely unresponsive condition, I'll suggest you go into the Android System Recovery screen and select the "Reboot system now" option. If this can't solve the problem, you'll need to perform the Factory reset and Wipe cache procedure to reset the OS back to the system initialization condition.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 9, 2024 at 5:51 AM Post #1,763 of 1,852
Hello, my N7 seems to have an issue which it is stayed on BAL forever, like the logo on the top bar never disappear even if I unplug everything.
So if I try to play using the SE, there will be a loud pop sound..

Sorry for the late response.

If the problem remains, you should contact your Cayin dealer immediately and seek their assistance. The problem can be hardware-related, so never too early to alert your dealer and get them involved as early as possible.

If you want to give it a last try, to eliminate the possibility of software-based issues. you can perform wipe data+factory reset and this will reset the DAP back to the system initialization screen. I sincerely hope this will solve your problem but be prepared your DAP might require hardware level support.

Jan 13, 2024 at 6:27 AM Post #1,764 of 1,852
Andykong,Is such a case planned for the N7?

Attachments

• B1A4AA2D-3ADA-48D1-93AA-03DA8D706692.png
    B1A4AA2D-3ADA-48D1-93AA-03DA8D706692.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #1,766 of 1,852
My N7 has developed a weird issue. Screen flashes the “Never be the same again” screen everytime I press any button. Can’t do anything to it. Can’t turn it off or on. This happened after I charged it and unplugged.
I don't want to make fun of this, but the "Never be the same again" screen is LOL.

Jan 27, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #1,767 of 1,852
I don't want to make fun of this, but the "Never be the same again" screen is LOL.
I've mentioned my displeasure of their use of Comic Cans several times on this forum, now the screen mocks me..

Edit: video for anyone interested.
https://streamable.com/bpbg2w
Does anyone know a solution? I can’t even enter factory reset mode lol.

Edit 2: So it fixed itself overnight.. I am perplexed.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #1,769 of 1,852
I try to connect N7 with I2S to Wandla dac. It works, but only for 24/192 content. Everything else shows NO SIGNAL. Any idea/solution?

Attachments

• IMG_2004.jpeg
    IMG_2004.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Feb 1, 2024 at 1:36 AM Post #1,770 of 1,852
I try to connect N7 with I2S to Wandla dac. It works, but only for 24/192 content. Everything else shows NO SIGNAL. Any idea/solution?

Looks like the BLCK and/or MCLK of N7 and Wandla are not compatible, so they only work on one particular instance but not the others. Is there any setting related to these parameters in the Wandla menu?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back