Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Nov 3, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #1,681 of 1,852
I have problem with the new firmware. There is loud buzz sound happened randomly when playing DSD512 through Roon with 4.4mm balanced line out. This never happened in ver 1.3. I switch to DSD 256 and it seems the problem is solved. Please advise.

May I suggest you perform a factory reset after the firmware update to ensure all third-party applications (and cache memory) will be reset before you use the new firmware?

Unfortunately, ROON support is not included in our routine system checks with N7, we cannot guarantee satisfactory ROON service in N7 at this point. I'll note our observation and make sure we handle this problem when we proceed to ROON certification down the road.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 3, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #1,682 of 1,852
Thanks for your suggestion. I have factory reset the N7 and connect to PC via USB without using roon, but unfortunately the problem still persists. Is there anyway I could downgrade the firmware to 1.3?

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #1,684 of 1,852
Hi,
I'm interested in getting a new N7 for its special line out/pre out function as well as sound quality, (possible upgrade from Hiby R6proii, I will miss MSEB for sure... ).

One deciding question:
Does Neutron music player work in N7? How about EQ?

Since it's 1bit dac and converting PCM to DSD, does Neutron run smoothly without problems and can you EQ via Neutron music player still if the files are PCM?

Thank you, comments appreciated!

Ken

Nov 7, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #1,685 of 1,852
Hi,
I'm interested in getting a new N7 for its special line out/pre out function as well as sound quality, (possible upgrade from Hiby R6proii, I will miss MSEB for sure... ).

One deciding question:

Since it's 1bit dac and converting PCM to DSD, does Neutron run smoothly without problems and can you EQ via Neutron music player still if the files are PCM?

Ken
I use mostly neutron on N7 and I have no complaints in terms of work.The equalizer works but only if bit perfect is not enabled

Nov 8, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #1,690 of 1,852
Thanks for your suggestion. I have factory reset the N7 and connect to PC via USB without using roon, but unfortunately the problem still persists. Is there anyway I could downgrade the firmware to 1.3?

You can download the complete v1.3 firmware from Cayin's Google Drive HERE.

Follow the manual firmware update process below to install the firmware, your DAP will roll back to v1.3 after you overwrite the firmware.

Local Update Procedures
  1. Download the latest firmware update package from the SUPPORT center of Cayin's official website (en.cayin.cn), you should receive a compressed file as cayin_N7_XXXX.zip which is used for the N7 firmware update.
  2. DO NOT decompress the zip file.
  3. Copy the firmware file into the root directory of N7 internal memory or TF card, and insert the TF card into N7 before you proceed to the next step.
  4. Enter the Settings menu, and then proceed to “System” -> “Wireless Update”.
  5. Press the “┇” icon on the top right corner of the screen.
  6. Select “Local updates” in the pop-up menu.
  7. Proceed to the directory where the firmware file is located, then select the firmware file.
  8. Press “INSTALL NOW”.
  9. Press “OK” at the pop-up dialogue, system will start installing the new firmware.

Nov 8, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #1,691 of 1,852
Hi,

One deciding question:

Ken
I use mostly neutron on N7 and I have no complaints in terms of work.The equalizer works but only if bit perfect is not enabled
I won't say this for sure, but when the equalizer is turned on, the sampling rate does not decrease

You can apply EQ to your music file BEFORE the PCM-to-DSD process, but you cannot apply EQ to the DSD bitstream after the PCM-to-DSD conversion.

Therefore sk57rus is correct, you can use the internal EQ function of Neutron on your PCM tracks, because the adjustments reside in Neutron app. and that is before the PCM to DSD conversion.

Nov 8, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #1,694 of 1,852
Hi everyone - i'm in the market and considering the N7 or a used N8ii. One reason I'm leaning towards N7 is the newer Android version. I'm mostly on Apple Music. Thoughts?

Nov 9, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #1,695 of 1,852
You can apply EQ to your music file BEFORE the PCM-to-DSD process, but you cannot apply EQ to the DSD bitstream after the PCM-to-DSD conversion.

Therefore sk57rus is correct, you can use the internal EQ function of Neutron on your PCM tracks, because the adjustments reside in Neutron app. and that is before the PCM to DSD conversion.
Thanks Andy,

I am now a proud owner of this N7 and Neutron sounds amazing on this, it is my 2nd night enjoying this amazing dap.

I have a question about the device heating up, I have read that many have said the N7 can get pretty hot during operation, I was listening to it using 4.4mm PO iem (timeless) , class A tonight and at some point I felt this player is getting really quite hot after maybe 45mins or so, I had installed this phone temperature checker app and it tells me it was almost 51 degrees Celsius and red alert saying the device is too hot... is that normal? I know many players run hot like Shanling, but just want to ask you if this is still a safe temperature to use the N7 or the battery and device components are designed for high temperature usage ?

thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back