Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Oct 21, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #1,651 of 1,863
oh 300 ohms, that's phenomenal, great. I'm currently enjoying the N7 again with my Obravo HAMT mkii headphones and can't find any weaknesses either, although it only has 32 ohms. However, I would always design my hardware for a DAP so that I don't need an extra amplifier; anything else wouldn't be comfortable enough for me.

Oct 22, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #1,652 of 1,863
Didn‘t think I will post this as N7 amp is often descibed as being weak and not enough for Full Size headphones but have to say that running 300 Ohm ZMF Verite Closed with N7 on High Gain, volume 45 is sounding very good to my ears, organic and euphonic with a nice alluring timbre in the mids, holografic with a nice thumping bass line.
Stage width is yet having disktop qualities compared to other Solid State sources like my Ferrum Oor.
Better amping can add stage depth and might also make the presenation more even and effortless but I am really enjyoing it as it is out of N7
oh 300 ohms, that's phenomenal, great. I'm currently enjoying the N7 again with my Obravo HAMT mkii headphones and can't find any weaknesses either, although it only has 32 ohms. However, I would always design my hardware for a DAP so that I don't need an extra amplifier; anything else wouldn't be comfortable enough for me.

Yes, I am surprised but I am glad to hear something like this, eventually :beerchug:

Although the HAMT MKII is rated at 56ohm 105dB, oBrovo has put a 40mm AMT driver and a 57mm dynamic driver in each earcup, so it is not exactly a DAP-friendly headphone in my brief encounter.

Those who have followed the N7 thread will know FooFighter is a perfectionist. When he said the N7 amp is weak, he meant the N7 is weak when "compared to the TOTL competitors" to his ears. From another perspective, he means the DAC section of N7 is superior and is comparable to the DAC section of other DAPs above its price point, but the Amp stage of the N7 is ONLY in line with its price point, so the N7 Amp is the weaker than the N7 DAC.

It is most unfortunate that his comment was quoted out of context after FooFighte repeated his comment in various exchanges and "the amp of N7 is weak" became a widely spread conclusion in other HeadFi threads, FB groups, and other social media references. I am glad that FooFighter finally found a pairing that demonstrates the potential of the N7 amplification section. :sweat_smile:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 22, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #1,653 of 1,863
Yes, I am surprised but I am glad to hear something like this, eventually :beerchug:

Although the HAMT MKII is rated at 56ohm 105dB, oBrovo has put a 40mm AMT driver and a 57mm dynamic driver in each earcup, so it is not exactly a DAP-friendly headphone in my brief encounter.

Those who have followed the N7 thread will know FooFighter is a perfectionist. When he said the N7 amp is weak, he meant the N7 is weak when "compared to the TOTL competitors" to his ears. From another perspective, he means the DAC section of N7 is superior and is comparable to the DAC section of other DAPs above its price point, but the Amp stage of the N7 is ONLY in line with its price point, so the N7 Amp is the weaker than the N7 DAC.

It is most unfortunate that his comment was quoted out of context after FooFighte repeated his comment in various exchanges and "the amp of N7 is weak" became a widely spread conclusion in other HeadFi threads, FB groups, and other social media references. I am glad that FooFighter finally found a pairing that demonstrates the potential of the N7 amplification section. :sweat_smile:
Omg, Andy, was I really quoted that much?
Am shocked but also surprised as you can imagine after my last tests.
You can guess what is my next step in Cayin DAP line as a perfectionist 😉

Oct 22, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #1,654 of 1,863
Omg, Andy, was I really quoted that much?
Am shocked but also surprised as you can imagine after my last tests.
You can guess what is my next step in Cayin DAP line as a perfectionist 😉
I am not surprised because one negative comment can draw more attention than 10 positive comments, so negative quotes will spread wider and take the center place.

I saw your post in N30LE thread, I can only wish you luck because standard N30LE is a bit difficult to locate at this moment.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 25, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #1,658 of 1,863
Have anyone tried PA10 with N7? If so how’s the pairing?
Hi, I did get the chance to give the pairing a go. From my experience both didn’t have good synergy - it wasn’t adding to the setup. Using the PA10 added a bit of energy to the low end, however it took away from the sound stage significantly, sounded more like the sound was being funnelled & clarity was affected as it wasn’t as fast as the built in Class A. This was with the Gaea, did not get the chance to try with any other gear, so YMMV.

Oct 25, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #1,659 of 1,863
Hi, I did get the chance to give the pairing a go. From my experience both didn’t have good synergy - it wasn’t adding to the setup. Using the PA10 added a bit of energy to the low end, however it took away from the sound stage significantly, sounded more like the sound was being funnelled & clarity was affected as it wasn’t as fast as the built in Class A. This was with the Gaea, did not get the chance to try with any other gear, so YMMV.
I just want to confirm that the width of the N7 soundstage without amping is extraordinary and on a desktop level.
I have made the same experience that adding additional amping might lead to a less wide soundstage.
I found C9 or Tsuranagi a good match.
On desktop side I tried Topping A70pro before and Ferrum Oor.
In the best case the impression of more depth is enhanced and dynamics but I totally agree that putting a random Amp is not necessarily sounding better than without

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #1,660 of 1,863
Thank you. You saved my money.

Oct 26, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #1,661 of 1,863
Just got my N7 a few days ago. Anyone else have issues when trying to update Hibymusic player to 2.0.8? or do yall recommend just using the standard player? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Oct 26, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #1,662 of 1,863
Just got my N7 a few days ago. Anyone else have issues when trying to update Hibymusic player to 2.0.8? or do yall recommend just using the standard player? Any info is greatly appreciated.

This issue is related to a security setting. I helped someone in RS8 thread last month with exactly the same problem. Go into Android settings, Apps, See All apps, scroll to Hiby Music and under App Info scroll to Advanced and click on Install unknown apps and in there enable to Allow it. Then, you will be able to update HibyMusic app (when starting HibyMusic in upper left corner, user icon, scroll to About and click on Update Check).

Oct 26, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #1,663 of 1,863
This issue is related to a security setting. I helped someone in RS8 thread last month with exactly the same problem. Go into Android settings, Apps, See All apps, scroll to Hiby Music and under App Info scroll to Advanced and click on Install unknown apps and in there enable to Allow it. Then, you will be able to update HibyMusic app (when starting HibyMusic in upper left corner, user icon, scroll to About and click on Update Check).
Appreciate the follow up sir. Unfortunately, application is still doing the same thing when I try. Whole lotta nothing. I tried restarting as well.

Oct 26, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #1,664 of 1,863
Appreciate the follow up sir. Unfortunately, application is still doing the same thing when I try. Whole lotta nothing. I tried restarting as well.
I definitely feel like some security feature is blocking the update. If I go into about and select update it will flash to Hiby yellow screen and take me back to main music player interface and prompt me to update again. When I confirm it just disappears again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back