Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Oct 28, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #1,666 of 1,864
Quick question. I read, on the Watercooler thread, that the Hiby Music app now streams Qobuz, and that it sounds much better than Qobuz’s own app. I’ve got it working for live streaming, but can’t download anything for off-line use - which is how I do almost all my listening. Is there a work around, or does the Hiby app lack this capability?

Oct 28, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #1,667 of 1,864
This issue is related to a security setting. I helped someone in RS8 thread last month with exactly the same problem. Go into Android settings, Apps, See All apps, scroll to Hiby Music and under App Info scroll to Advanced and click on Install unknown apps and in there enable to Allow it. Then, you will be able to update HibyMusic app (when starting HibyMusic in upper left corner, user icon, scroll to About and click on Update Check).
Just to close out this issue. I got ahold of Joe Bloggs and was able to side load the updated version. Crisis averted.

Oct 28, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #1,668 of 1,864
Quick question. I read, on the Watercooler thread, that the Hiby Music app now streams Qobuz, and that it sounds much better than Qobuz’s own app. I’ve got it working for live streaming, but can’t download anything for off-line use - which is how I do almost all my listening. Is there a work around, or does the Hiby app lack this capability?
Unfortunately, it has to be said that the range of functions does not quite come close to the original app. For example, you cannot add entire albums to your favorites list. However, the Hiby app offers a few options for changing the sound, so I actually only use this one.

Oct 28, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #1,670 of 1,864
Unfortunately, it has to be said that the range of functions does not quite come close to the original app. For example, you cannot add entire albums to your favorites list. However, the Hiby app offers a few options for changing the sound, so I actually only use this one.
Thanks maetchenmann, I guess it will motivate me to buy my favorite music instead of just streaming it!

Oct 29, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #1,671 of 1,864
I'm excited and will report back as soon as I find the time to listen.
I found some time yesterday after downloading 1GB per track. But it’s definitely impressive. Extremely clear and live like sound. Like being in the studio.
I only tried “thousand shades of blue “, but I can confirm the “wow” effect. :)

Oct 29, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #1,672 of 1,864
I found some time yesterday after downloading 1GB per track. But it’s definitely impressive. Extremely clear and live like sound. Like being in the studio.
I only tried “thousand shades of blue “, but I can confirm the “wow” effect. :)
Great, I've already transferred the album to the DAP, but haven't gotten around to testing it yet. For about three days I have had the problem with the Hiby player that it always outputs 48 khz, regardless of the format. Has anyone had this problem before and has a solution for me.

Oct 29, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #1,673 of 1,864
Just wanted to post another interesting observation.
My friend @Tom75 was a fan of i2s streaming to Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE before.
I followed his suggestion and am currently using N7 via mini Hdmi Adapter into some Audioquest Pearl HDMI cable into my Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE.
I don't even want to refer to the stunning audio quality but to an interesting observation which I didn't expect.
If playing to DAC target devices via USB I am limited by the target DAC decoding capabilities, I.e in case of Spring 3 KTE no MQA decoding for example.
Now playing MQA tracks on Tidal or UApp and connecting Spring 3 via I2S is leading to a full unfold / decoding on N7 and sending that over to non MQA DAC Spring 3.
Besides MQA getting an ancient format I am stunned about the fact that I2s (in general?) or at least on N7 is injecting N7 capabilities into target DAC devices.

Attachments

• IMG_6056.jpeg
    IMG_6056.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Oct 30, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #1,674 of 1,864
Just wanted to post another interesting observation.
My friend @Tom75 was a fan of i2s streaming to Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE before.
I followed his suggestion and am currently using N7 via mini Hdmi Adapter into some Audioquest Pearl HDMI cable into my Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE.
I don't even want to refer to the stunning audio quality but to an interesting observation which I didn't expect.
If playing to DAC target devices via USB I am limited by the target DAC decoding capabilities, I.e in case of Spring 3 KTE no MQA decoding for example.
Now playing MQA tracks on Tidal or UApp and connecting Spring 3 via I2S is leading to a full unfold / decoding on N7 and sending that over to non MQA DAC Spring 3.
Besides MQA getting an ancient format I am stunned about the fact that I2s (in general?) or at least on N7 is injecting N7 capabilities into target DAC devices.

I2S comes with a clock signal, it is definitely the better digital interface when compared to USB Audio and Coaxial.

This is a bug, supposedly, but we didn't bother to correct it, as long as we keep this low profile and MQA doesn't challenge us, we'll ignore the bug.

I recall we discovered this bug all the way back in N6ii. Officially MQA does not allow us to pass MQA bitstream out from digital interfaces, you can't do that with USB Audio and coaxial output of our DAP because MQA performs vigorous tests to make sure we stop that.. They didn't have a test routine for I2S, so that is a result of a convenient overlook.

Unfortunately, the bug passed on From N6ii to N8ii, and then to N7. :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 30, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #1,675 of 1,864
I2S comes with a clock signal, it is definitely the better digital interface when compared to USB Audio and Coaxial.

This is a bug, supposedly, but we didn't bother to correct it, as long as we keep this low profile and MQA doesn't challenge us, we'll ignore the bug.

I recall we discovered this bug all the way back in N6ii. Officially MQA does not allow us to pass MQA bitstream out from digital interfaces, you can't do that with USB Audio and coaxial output of our DAP because MQA performs vigorous tests to make sure we stop that.. They didn't have a test routine for I2S, so that is a result of a convenient overlook.

Unfortunately, the bug passed on From N6ii to N8ii, and then to N7. :sweat_smile:
I wouldn‘t mind that functionality as you could make any non MQA DAC play fully unfolded tracks.
Reading your statement again I now understand it's a bug leading to this convenient unique selling point feature people might have bought N7 a year ago or earlier only for that feature 😂
Guess as mentioned MQA is slowly dying anyway no one would mind you ll never correct it.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #1,676 of 1,864
Is it possible to copy files directly to the N7?
I can see the N7 on my windows but it’s not possible to copy directly. Are there any possible changes in the settings to enable this?
Thanks

I am not exactly sure about the status of your connection.

When you connect your N7 to a Windows PC, your default window setting will alert you with a beep sound when they detect the USB connection.

Check the notification Center of your N7 DAP after you hear the beep sound. To find your notifications, you can wipe down from the top of your screen, or Google Android Notification Center and look for a video clip if you are completely new to Android appliance.

Select the USB-related item in your N7 Notification Center, you should arrive ath the USB Preference page, and you can set the USB connection (File Transfer in your case) to perform appropriate action in this round of connection.

1698807780589.png

Last edited:

Oct 31, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #1,677 of 1,864
1698808091486.png

N7 Firmware v1.4 Update

1. Enhance third-party application support to playback Tidal MAX content properly.
  2. Fix occasional UI disorders that take place when the DAP is in a certain system language.
  3. Fix occasional unresponsiveness of side buttons during playback of third-party apps.
  4. Upgrade Google Play and Google service to v38.1
  5. Other bug fixes and optimisations.
https://en.cayin.cn/drive/9/18/615.html

Firmware Update

Cayin will release firmware updates to enhance and optimize N7 as deemed required. Users can update the firmware through OTA or local updates. To manually download the firmware, please visit the SUPPORT center on our official website,

Attention
  • Please make sure the device has not less than 30% battery power, otherwise please charge up the player before you proceed to a firmware update.
  • Please make sure your N7 has more than 1GB of storage before the firmware update.
  • Do not operate the device during a firmware update.
  • During a firmware update, the device will turn off and reboot automatically. If the device does not reboot 3 minutes after being turned off, please press and hold the POWER BUTTON for 3 seconds to boot up the device, the device will resume the firmware update process.
  • Please delete the firmware file from the TF card or internal storage after you have completed the firmware update process

OTA Update Procedures
  1. Connect the N7 to the internet via Wi-Fi.
  2. Enter the Settings menu, and then proceed to “System” -> “Wireless Update”.
  3. Press “Check for updates”, and the system will check for new firmware.
  4. Press “Download” when your DAP detects new firmware. The N7 operating system will download the new firmware as instructed.
  5. Press “Install now” after the firmware is successfully downloaded.
  6. Press “OK” at the pop-up dialogue, and the system will start installing the new firmware.

Local Update Procedures
  1. Download the latest firmware update package from the SUPPORT center of Cayin official website, you should receive a compressed file as cayin_N7_XXXX.zip which is used for N7 firmware update.
  2. DO NOT decompress the zip file.
  3. Copy the firmware file into the root directory of N7 internal memory or TF card, and insert the TF card into N7 before you proceed to the next step.
  4. Enter the Settings menu, and then proceed to “System” -> “Wireless Update”.
  5. Press the “┇” icon on the top right corner of the screen.
  6. Select “Local updates” in the pop-up menu.
  7. Proceed to the directory where the firmware file is located, then select the firmware file.
  8. Press “INSTALL NOW”.
  9. Press “OK” at the pop-up dialogue, and the system will start installing the new firmware.

Nov 2, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #1,679 of 1,864
I have a question about the behavior of the side play/pause button. I mainly use apple music. If, with the screen off, I pause the music, and I hit the play button shortly after, say within 30 seconds or so, the music will play. However, if after a minute, I hit the play button, it wouldn't resume the music. I would either have to hit the power button first to awaken the screen, then hit the play button. If I hit the play button first, the next time I hit the power button then the music resumes playing. Is this intended behavior?

Nov 3, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #1,680 of 1,864
1698808091486.png

N7 Firmware v1.4 Update

1. Enhance third-party application support to playback Tidal MAX content properly.
  2. Fix occasional UI disorders that take place when the DAP is in a certain system language.
  3. Fix occasional unresponsiveness of side buttons during playback of third-party apps.
  4. Upgrade Google Play and Google service to v38.1
  5. Other bug fixes and optimisations.
https://en.cayin.cn/drive/9/18/615.html

Firmware Update

Cayin will release firmware updates to enhance and optimize N7 as deemed required. Users can update the firmware through OTA or local updates. To manually download the firmware, please visit the SUPPORT center on our official website,

Attention
  • Please make sure the device has not less than 30% battery power, otherwise please charge up the player before you proceed to a firmware update.
  • Please make sure your N7 has more than 1GB of storage before the firmware update.
  • Do not operate the device during a firmware update.
  • During a firmware update, the device will turn off and reboot automatically. If the device does not reboot 3 minutes after being turned off, please press and hold the POWER BUTTON for 3 seconds to boot up the device, the device will resume the firmware update process.
  • Please delete the firmware file from the TF card or internal storage after you have completed the firmware update process

OTA Update Procedures
  1. Connect the N7 to the internet via Wi-Fi.
  2. Enter the Settings menu, and then proceed to “System” -> “Wireless Update”.
  3. Press “Check for updates”, and the system will check for new firmware.
  4. Press “Download” when your DAP detects new firmware. The N7 operating system will download the new firmware as instructed.
  5. Press “Install now” after the firmware is successfully downloaded.
  6. Press “OK” at the pop-up dialogue, and the system will start installing the new firmware.

Local Update Procedures
  1. Download the latest firmware update package from the SUPPORT center of Cayin official website, you should receive a compressed file as cayin_N7_XXXX.zip which is used for N7 firmware update.
  2. DO NOT decompress the zip file.
  3. Copy the firmware file into the root directory of N7 internal memory or TF card, and insert the TF card into N7 before you proceed to the next step.
  4. Enter the Settings menu, and then proceed to “System” -> “Wireless Update”.
  5. Press the “┇” icon on the top right corner of the screen.
  6. Select “Local updates” in the pop-up menu.
  7. Proceed to the directory where the firmware file is located, then select the firmware file.
  8. Press “INSTALL NOW”.
  9. Press “OK” at the pop-up dialogue, and the system will start installing the new firmware.
I have problem with the new firmware. There is loud buzz sound happened randomly when playing DSD512 through Roon with 4.4mm balanced line out. This never happened in ver 1.3. I switch to DSD 256 and it seems the problem is solved. Please advise.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back