Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Oct 17, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #1,636 of 1,845
What headphones pair well with N7? Want to buy a headphones that’s easy to drive and that has excellent synergy with N7. Budget around 800$.
I’m personally looking to get the Arya Organic - on Black Friday discounts (hopefully that stacks on a local open box deal). As it’s been well received for its price point. Did see an Open Box Deal in the US;(https://audio46.com/products/hifima...ic-headphones-open-box?variant=45347156525289)

If that’s not your taste, the Meze 109 Pro, LCD2 & Focal Clear are also highly regarded headphones. It’s best to get a headphone in the signature you are looking for - the DAP only enriches the experience and doesn’t take away from a great headphone. 🙂

Oct 17, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #1,638 of 1,845
Oct 17, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #1,640 of 1,845
Thanks Dirk, somewhere i read about High Gain but it wont make any sense with iems,right ?
Need to test at some point again.
Indeed higher gain in my former DAPs has often caused an impression of tighter and faster sound in my ears like changing from a slow DAC filter to a fast DAC filter at the cost of loss of some timbre and body but I really need to recheck if that's the case too with N7.

Oct 17, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #1,641 of 1,845
I’m personally looking to get the Arya Organic - on Black Friday discounts (hopefully that stacks on a local open box deal). As it’s been well received for its price point. Did see an Open Box Deal in the US;(https://audio46.com/products/hifima...ic-headphones-open-box?variant=45347156525289)

If that’s not your taste, the Meze 109 Pro, LCD2 & Focal Clear are also highly regarded headphones. It’s best to get a headphone in the signature you are looking for - the DAP only enriches the experience and doesn’t take away from a great headphone. 🙂
I don’t think it has enough grunt for planars. And I had 109 Pro once and didn’t find it to have best synergy with it, at least for me. Will try LCD2 & Clear.

Oct 17, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #1,642 of 1,845
I don’t think it has enough grunt for planars. And I had 109 Pro once and didn’t find it to have best synergy with it, at least for me. Will try LCD2 & Clear.
LCD 2 is a Planar too and I doubt N7 can drive it well (without additional Amping).
Haven't heard that combo but Denon AH-9200 might be worth a try as it's quite sensitive and can be driven well out of my Ifi Go Bar Gold Dongle even

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #1,643 of 1,845
Thanks Dirk, somewhere i read about High Gain but it wont make any sense with iems,right ?
I guess it really depends - my preferred pairing with the Gaea is in High Gain, mostly in Class A - though Class AB is the more laid back listen and for a few tracks I'll switch back to this. The High Gain + Class A setting, seems to add more meat to the bass which compensates for the lighter native bass on the set & has a faster attack which works with my playlist. It also makes the signature more tighter overall, but can definitely see how mmv with differences in taste & synergy with sets.

Would you consider pairing with a portable amp? I was looking into the C9 pairing myself. Especially as many solid headphones are quite demanding in power. If not, if it's possible to test different pairs either locally in a shop or at a show would be worthwhile or alternatively finding which pairs you'd be interested in (what's locally available) and then calculating power requirements might help - the N7 outputs 500mW @32ohm on balanced connection:
https://www.headphonesty.com/headphone-power-calculator/

Oct 18, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #1,644 of 1,845
What headphones pair well with N7? Want to buy a headphones that’s easy to drive and that has excellent synergy with N7. Budget around 800$.
You can also try the HIFIMAN Edition XS it's a very good headphone and it's about $500 brand new prodigious bass detail and very nice highs, Arya is better in highs but also in price but Edition XS the Stealth version is a real bargain and works great with N7

Oct 20, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #1,645 of 1,845
Is it a good idea to buy N7 if my library is like 98% flac/PCM and not DSD?
Does it keep up in the price range because of Cayin's special sauce against other DAPs?
I'd buy DX320 in a heartbeat at least for power, system wide EQ, PCM-native and more neutral-bright sig but damn it looks like literal phone and I just can't stand it in DAPs.

Oct 20, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #1,646 of 1,845
Does it keep up in the price range because of Cayin's special sauce against other DAPs?
I'd buy DX320 in a heartbeat at least for power, system wide EQ, PCM-native and more neutral-bright sig but damn it looks like literal phone and I just can't stand it in DAPs.
In my opinion, you can't go wrong with the N7. I had the Sony NW wm1am2 and the Ibasso dx300 there for a direct comparison and I can say that it was really a close race between the dx300 and the N7, but the n7 prevailed in the end. In the end it's a matter of taste, you'll have to try it.

Oct 20, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #1,647 of 1,845
Try both and see for yourself. For my IEM, IERZ1R N7 turned out to be a much better pairing than DX320, so went ahead with N7. N7 sounds great irrespective of the files you have. DSD, much better but FLAC/PCM are at par too.

Oct 21, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #1,650 of 1,845
Didn‘t think I will post this as N7 amp is often descibed as being weak and not enough for Full Size headphones but have to say that running 300 Ohm ZMF Verite Closed with N7 on High Gain, volume 45 is sounding very good to my ears, organic and euphonic with a nice alluring timbre in the mids, holografic with a nice thumping bass line.
Stage width is yet having disktop qualities compared to other Solid State sources like my Ferrum Oor.
Better amping can add stage depth and might also make the presenation more even and effortless but I am really enjyoing it as it is out of N7

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back