Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Jun 24, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #1,336 of 1,852
By "brick" I mean the charger that plugs into the wall that the cable plugs into. I tried several including one that came with my Samsung tablet.
I did not try to connect my phone to the N7.

I saw that menu with the USB options and tried them all just in case but no matter what I try, I still get the "connected, not charging".

A couple of times the connection flashed between that and just "not charging" which has me concerned that there's something wrong with the jack in the device since the cables work with my tablet, and shanling M6U
To make sure the power management and USC-c port is functioning correctly, switch off the N7 and charge it at power off, if the home button light up, just leave it aside for 30 minutes or 1 hours, power on again and check if the DAP is charging up properly. If not, maybe you should cintact your dealer/seller for further support.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 24, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #1,337 of 1,852
To make sure the power management and USC-c port is functioning correctly, switch off the N7 and charge it at power off, if the home button light up, just leave it aside for 30 minutes or 1 hours, power on again and check if the DAP is charging up properly. If not, maybe you should cintact your dealer/seller for further support.

I left it plugged in and powered on for about 1 1/2 hours and it did not charge. I turned it off and plugged it in and the screen lights up with the battery icon showing the percentage and the top flashing like it is charging but it isn’t. The circular lighted button at the bottom of the screen does not light up. Very disappointing.

Jun 24, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #1,338 of 1,852
….

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #1,339 of 1,852
For the past 3 months, this bundle has been pleasing
4CDBF472-4CA8-4611-A0E7-F8C53869D577.jpeg

Jun 24, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #1,341 of 1,852
The only complaint is that the case is crap, so far I am bombed by the fact that the representative of cayin claims that the case is leather

Yes, the case is leather. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 24, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #1,342 of 1,852
La unica queja es que el estuche es una porqueria, hasta ahora estoy bombardeado por el hecho de que el representante de cayin afirma que el estuche es de cuero
Lo siento pero me encanta el caso. Comparado con los casos del Ibasso DX320 X, Fiio M17 o Shanling, este es un buen caso.

Jun 25, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #1,345 of 1,852
Cayin N7 has impressed me, even if its not burned in enough.

My desktop tube amp is a Feliks Audio Echo with JJ E88CC Gold Pin tubes, this a neutral warm sounding tube amp that is super clear and resolving.
Echo give just the right amount of extra harmonics to make music more alive and natural. Also giving treble some more spark/bite but not really pushed forward.

I would say the Cayin N7 seems like doing much of the same thing when you compare N7 toward a ESS based source, not doing to much of a evaluation since N7 deserve its full 100-200hours of burn in and usage. But can already say this is a step up and deserve its praise a unique and good DAP.

I used N7 doing the first part of comparing my AüR IEMs for my Aurora review, and the resolving and good sound made it a joy to do.

I bought N7 with a discount in exchange for a review for @MusicTeck , need to get all the burn in done first. I have few reviews I'm doing this summer, will learn much about N7 meanwhile.

DSCF2885.jpg

DSCF2906.jpg

Jun 25, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #1,349 of 1,852
Thanks for your honesty, does that mean your review will be honest too ?
Always, I paid lots even with discount for N7. And even when I have had freebies I don't mind saying my concerns.

Jun 26, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #1,350 of 1,852
Sorry, what exactly is a "brick"?

Do you have any Type-C chargers from Android mobile devices laying around in your house? That should work much better than charging your N7 with your computer. The older PC will limit its USB-C charging current to 5V 500mA, or 2.5W only. The standard USB-C mobile phone charger is 5V2A and that will be 10W, which is four times faster than your PC. USB-C charger with appropriate fast charging capability can charge the N7 at 18W, so you can figure out the time you need to charge up your N7 even when you can successfully use the USB-C port of your computer to charge up the N7.

Back to your previous question. When you connect a DAP to your mobile phone, the Android system will ask you to confirm your ACTION with this USB connection, you can do that by pulling down the Android "Notification Center", just swipe down from the middle-top of your screen and you can reach out for all the system notification, scroll to the last roll and you should see the USB connection notification, tap on this message and you'll offer several choices of actions.

Connect without charging is the default USB connection because the most frequently used connection with a computer is either to transfer music files to N7 internal storage, or use the USB as USB-DAC for your computer.
Thanks Andy. I'm starting to wrap things up with the N7. Streaming Tidal now, so thanks. Sheffield Labs Drum test record. This really allows you to hear what drums SHOULD sound like. It's not as easy as many believe. As a former drummer, I know what a kit is supposed to sound like if it's tuned properly. Ron Tutt is one of my favorite drummers and I listen to this album for the music. The record was a major test to see how the needle would track as well as play. Bass is very tuneful. You can delineate the notes, which is really nice. I'll be playing to see how it decodes MQA in a few. Thanks again. I'll make sure to wipe it when I'm done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back