Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Jun 20, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #1,321 of 1,852
When you guys are talking about amplification is not a mw factor,right? Otherwise the best cayin dap should be the n3pro with 800mw, is quality and tuning , right? Otherwise the ru7 that i bought past week should be better than my Sony 1zm2 because the weak nrs of sony, but no hell no, the sony at the same spl level plays a much more fleshed and deep sound
That's correct. The total power doesn't tell you anything about how the amplification circuits have been designed and how well they will perform. As an obvious example, my main headphone amplifier only has about 1200mW of output, lower than a lot of amps at 1/10th to 1/3rd the price, yet the clarity and effortlessness of the sound using it, even with hard to drive headphones like the DCA Stealth and Expanse, is clearly better.

Jun 20, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #1,322 of 1,852
Has anyone been able to compare A&K SE300 to Cayin N7, not only as SQ, but as day-to-day use with IEMs and no external amps?
That’s the question I too have. I’m really enjoying the N7 so far. I’m not streaming it as I’m concerned about entering my Google log in credentials on a device I have to ship back. I am just using my own SD card with all high res music. I’m hearing so much more than my AK SE25. It’s night and day and in audio, that’s not usually the case. I am about to sell the SE25 as there is no way I can go back, even with the size difference. I’ll reach out to Twister to get his thoughts

Jun 20, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #1,323 of 1,852
Hi there. Little question : the desktop mode of the M15s is a blessing. Does the N7 has one? Can we play music while charging or it is an issue?

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #1,324 of 1,852
That’s the question I too have. I’m really enjoying the N7 so far. I’m not streaming it as I’m concerned about entering my Google log in credentials on a device I have to ship back. I am just using my own SD card with all high res music. I’m hearing so much more than my AK SE25. It’s night and day and in audio, that’s not usually the case. I am about to sell the SE25 as there is no way I can go back, even with the size difference. I’ll reach out to Twister to get his thoughts
LOL, I remember having a very similar experience - still that SR15 is sitting in a cabinet at home.

Jun 21, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #1,326 of 1,852
I ordered an N7 on Monday and am looking forward to it. I was hoping for the usual Musicteck/DHL magic to have it by the weekend but the shipping quote shows the 27th.. I'l post my impressions once I've had a good listen.

Jun 22, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #1,327 of 1,852
Guys, I'm listening to Michael Jackson Thriller right now. I'm hearing things that I just don't hear with the other DAP's I've own and that used to include the TOTL AK DAP's, (380 cu with matching amp) and the 2k (for a short period of time). It's not quite the N8ii that I auditioned in Tokyo, but man this is really natural sounding. I'll put more in a basic review (so many reviews out there that are outstanding and all have a common thread to them. I have owned many DAC's over the years. Some were 1bit ones and some were with ESS chips or AK chips etc... I don't have a preference. It's like anything else, it's all about implementing it correctly. I do wish I had the new AK that costs the same to hear differences. If this was 2 channel, I'm sure they'd send me one, but this is new territory for me (portable/desktop).

I'm just really impressed so far as how well it matches teh sound signature of my Odin's. Money is money and if you have to have the TOTL DAP, then this MAY not be your DAP, but honestly, it still MAY be. It's not perfect, but what is. I am enjoying the compromises they decided to make when tuning this DAP.

I'm using my top audiophile high res recordings as I'm still scared to input any of my passwords since I have to send it back. That is all for now. Enjoy the music all! :)

Jun 22, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #1,328 of 1,852
Guys, I'm listening to Michael Jackson Thriller right now. I'm hearing things that I just don't hear with the other DAP's I've own and that used to include the TOTL AK DAP's, (380 cu with matching amp) and the 2k (for a short period of time). It's not quite the N8ii that I auditioned in Tokyo, but man this is really natural sounding. I'll put more in a basic review (so many reviews out there that are outstanding and all have a common thread to them. I have owned many DAC's over the years. Some were 1bit ones and some were with ESS chips or AK chips etc... I don't have a preference. It's like anything else, it's all about implementing it correctly. I do wish I had the new AK that costs the same to hear differences. If this was 2 channel, I'm sure they'd send me one, but this is new territory for me (portable/desktop).

I'm just really impressed so far as how well it matches teh sound signature of my Odin's. Money is money and if you have to have the TOTL DAP, then this MAY not be your DAP, but honestly, it still MAY be. It's not perfect, but what is. I am enjoying the compromises they decided to make when tuning this DAP.

I'm using my top audiophile high res recordings as I'm still scared to input any of my passwords since I have to send it back. That is all for now. Enjoy the music all! :)
The biggest issue I have with the N7 is I can’t find enough time to enjoy it!

Jun 23, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #1,329 of 1,852
Wow.. I thought I wouldn’t see this until next week.. IMG_6200.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #1,330 of 1,852
It’s here and I’ve loaded up my card.
Out of the box I am really enjoying this.
I am currently using @tgx78 ‘s masterful creation in the TGXEar Totem earbuds.
I’m still in the very first album and I just keep feeling like listening to it.

IMG_6209.jpeg

I first fired up the Shanling M6U to get my baseline and the N7 is a much more natural and balanced presentation. I keep hearing about the large soundstage and on this album it’s not so much large as a very defined staging with a palpable 3d performance with air around the instrument. This lute album is great for judging tone and timbre. This is a much more balanced presentation as on the M6U there’s a focused mid boost that is not only that but also has most of its definition in that boosted range. The treble and bass suffer in resolution terms. The N7 is perfectly refined on every string and throughout the range. The large soundstage does come in with the sounds of the birds (seagulls) that occur between songs where they sound far off in the distance.

Very natural sounding.

The only gripe so far is that the case is so tight that it keeps pressing the power button unless I pull at it to lessen the pressure. It keeps asking if I want to shut down or restart.

Also the google play store kept crashing but seems to work now.

Should I do the latest firmware update?

IMG_6201.jpegIMG_6202.jpegIMG_6204.jpegIMG_6205.jpeg

The unboxing was nice. Nothing unusually special but the included case is higher quality than I expected. The screen is super clear and bright.

Looking forward to some listening this weekend and I’ll post more thoughts later.

I can’t wait to order the TGXEar Sunniva and how my EE Bravado 2 sounds.

Wow…on track 11, such delicate notes.. very nice…

Jun 24, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #1,331 of 1,852
It’s here and I’ve loaded up my card.
Out of the box I am really enjoying this.
I am currently using @tgx78 ‘s masterful creation in the TGXEar Totem earbuds.
I’m still in the very first album and I just keep feeling like listening to it.

IMG_6209.jpeg

I first fired up the Shanling M6U to get my baseline and the N7 is a much more natural and balanced presentation. I keep hearing about the large soundstage and on this album it’s not so much large as a very defined staging with a palpable 3d performance with air around the instrument. This lute album is great for judging tone and timbre. This is a much more balanced presentation as on the M6U there’s a focused mid boost that is not only that but also has most of its definition in that boosted range. The treble and bass suffer in resolution terms. The N7 is perfectly refined on every string and throughout the range. The large soundstage does come in with the sounds of the birds (seagulls) that occur between songs where they sound far off in the distance.

Very natural sounding.

The only gripe so far is that the case is so tight that it keeps pressing the power button unless I pull at it to lessen the pressure. It keeps asking if I want to shut down or restart.

Also the google play store kept crashing but seems to work now.

Should I do the latest firmware update?

IMG_6201.jpegIMG_6202.jpegIMG_6204.jpegIMG_6205.jpeg

The unboxing was nice. Nothing unusually special but the included case is higher quality than I expected. The screen is super clear and bright.

Looking forward to some listening this weekend and I’ll post more thoughts later.

I can’t wait to order the TGXEar Sunniva and how my EE Bravado 2 sounds.

Wow…on track 11, such delicate notes.. very nice…

Congrats and looking forward to reading more of your impressions. N7 has my daily go to on the road and at home, stacked with C9 for unwinding after a long day of work.

Definitely apply the updates – there has been two since release 1.2 and 1.3.

Jun 24, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #1,332 of 1,852
Congrats and looking forward to reading more of your impressions. N7 has my daily go to on the road and at home, stacked with C9 for unwinding after a long day of work.

Definitely apply the updates – there has been two since release 1.2 and 1.3.

Thanks. I’ll update it now.

Question. @Andykong Is there something that has to be set for charging. I’ve got it plugged into a brick as my computer is too old to have usbC and is shows connected but not charging.
I tried another cable and brick and still not charging.
And now I just tried my daughters computer and same.. “connected, not charging”

This is getting frustrating

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #1,333 of 1,852

You can log in to your Google account even on a temporary basis. That is perfectly safe. Just make sure you perform a factory reset before you send the tour sample to the next reviewer. Android system will wipe all user accounts and resume the DAP to New-in-box condition. The next tour reviewer will need to go through the system initialisation process to select the language and time zone from square one and enter their own Google account in order to use streaming on N7 again.

So don't worry, there is a simple procedure to protect your privacy. You are safe to try out streaming on N7 even in a tour.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 24, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #1,334 of 1,852
Thanks. I’ll update it now.

Question. @Andykong Is there something that has to be set for charging. I’ve got it plugged into a brick as my computer is too old to have usbC and is shows connected but not charging.
I tried another cable and brick and still not charging.
And now I just tried my daughters computer and same.. “connected, not charging”

This is getting frustrating

Sorry, what exactly is a "brick"?

Do you have any Type-C chargers from Android mobile devices laying around in your house? That should work much better than charging your N7 with your computer. The older PC will limit its USB-C charging current to 5V 500mA, or 2.5W only. The standard USB-C mobile phone charger is 5V2A and that will be 10W, which is four times faster than your PC. USB-C charger with appropriate fast charging capability can charge the N7 at 18W, so you can figure out the time you need to charge up your N7 even when you can successfully use the USB-C port of your computer to charge up the N7.

Back to your previous question. When you connect a DAP to your mobile phone, the Android system will ask you to confirm your ACTION with this USB connection, you can do that by pulling down the Android "Notification Center", just swipe down from the middle-top of your screen and you can reach out for all the system notification, scroll to the last roll and you should see the USB connection notification, tap on this message and you'll offer several choices of actions.

Connect without charging is the default USB connection because the most frequently used connection with a computer is either to transfer music files to N7 internal storage, or use the USB as USB-DAC for your computer.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 24, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #1,335 of 1,852
Sorry, what exactly is a "brick"?

Do you have any Type-C chargers from Android mobile devices laying around in your house? That should work much better than charging your N7 with your computer. The older PC will limit its USB-C charging current to 5V 500mA, or 2.5W only. The standard USB-C mobile phone charger is 5V2A and that will be 10W, which is four times faster than your PC. USB-C charger with appropriate fast charging capability can charge the N7 at 18W, so you can figure out the time you need to charge up your N7 even when you can successfully use the USB-C port of your computer to charge up the N7.

Back to your previous question. When you connect a DAP to your mobile phone, the Android system will ask you to confirm your ACTION with this USB connection, you can do that by pulling down the Android "Notification Center", just swipe down from the middle-top of your screen and you can reach out for all the system notification, scroll to the last roll and you should see the USB connection notification, tap on this message and you'll offer several choices of actions.

Connect without charging is the default USB connection because the most frequently used connection with a computer is either to transfer music files to N7 internal storage, or use the USB as USB-DAC for your computer.

By "brick" I mean the charger that plugs into the wall that the cable plugs into. I tried several including one that came with my Samsung tablet.
I did not try to connect my phone to the N7.

I saw that menu with the USB options and tried them all just in case but no matter what I try, I still get the "connected, not charging".

A couple of times the connection flashed between that and just "not charging" which has me concerned that there's something wrong with the jack in the device since the cables work with my tablet, and shanling M6U

Users who are viewing this thread

Back