Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Jun 14, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #1,276 of 1,852
Has anyone made a comparison between preamp mode and line out?
Meanwhile with c9 and ferrum oor in pre mode it sounds great!
Really connecting to an amp brings the n7 to another place.
I agree, the only downside I have spotted of preamp mode is increased Noise floor with C9 with IEMs.
Haven't tried preamp mode with Oor yet as I am afraid to blast my gear 😂

Jun 15, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #1,277 of 1,852
Just sharing that I’m riding into Grand Central station jamming to the N7. No external amps and just a meager now outdated Mest 2. Yet the sound is engaging and moving and I consider myself very lucky to be able to hear sound this good in something I can carry around. Having spent a lot of money and time on hifi systems, it’s really impressive what this can do in its stock form.

Jun 16, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #1,278 of 1,852
Funny thing happened this morning with the N7. I had it cooking for a while on class A, I always feel like the warmer the better but that of course is a silly thought. Anyway I played a track I use regularly for reference and it was so spacious, layered, and beautiful that once the track completed I immediately shut the unit down and am done listening for the day. It was as if the sound was so perfect I didn’t want anything else to disturb the memory. Has anyone else had that experience? Strange hobby this is…

When an amplifier operates in Class A, the amplifier will sound better after warming up because it is an indicator that the amplifier is operated at a stable and optimized condition. The timing of warming up varied from time to time, and from person to person. I am OK with mine after 15 minutes of warming up but Hong Kong is around 34C or 93F without aircon.

I also run into a similar situation occasionally but go to the other extreme, I put my work aside and wanted to listen more. Fortunately, listening to N7 (or N8ii) could be considered part of my work. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 16, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #1,279 of 1,852
I find the pairing of n7 and c9 great!
It seems that the player realizes its potential even better thanks to the connection to the amplifier,
and the fit is good,
I'm a bit wondering about claims I've seen about the level of detail and resolution of the n7
I actually find it super detailed,
The dynamics and micro dynamics are also excellent.

Glad you like the N7 + C9 combo. Being able to offer super details and stellar macro and micro dynamics is indeed a good indicator of a high-quality sound system.

Maybe we can describe this as the scalability of the DAP?

Most DAPs, including N8ii, will demonstrate similar improvement, that's what we want to achieve when we develop C9. There are occasions when the DAP is not so scalable: lack of high-quality Line out (or phone out is not suitable to use as a line out or pre-out), or the DAC implementation is limiting the overall performance, or not suitable for this type of application.

Jun 16, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #1,280 of 1,852
Hi! I'm having trouble using Adi 2/4 Pro's preamp mode.I use my Cayin N7 as a source which I feed into the Adi DAC via 4,4 to dual XLR input on the back. While in Lineout mode of the N7, the sound is heavily distorted even at very low volume. When I change to preamp mode, everything sounds great but now I have 2 preamps in my chain? Any ideas?
Ok, I thought you are forwarding the ADI signal to another Amp as it's called preamp mode.
If that distortion can be heard out of ADIs PO too then I have no other idea.

Edit: actually I have an idea.
In N7 preamp mode you are regulating the output signal on N7 and signal strength is therefore potentially far lower than in LO mode where it's maxed out.
I assume that in LO mode the signal is too hot for the ADI whereas in preamp mode the signal strength is low enough to be fine.
At least that's how it works on C9 where in C9 preamp mode C9 volume is maxed out and N7 is feeding a variable low signal.

So might it be that ADIs LO mode isn't set correctly/have you tried other LO sources but N7?
Actually I gave up on listening to gear yesterday and stuck with my double preamp bonanza since it improved N7's amp deficiency in a very noticeable way and I just couldn't stop listening. I will try DX314's dedicated line out today, thanks for the idea!

Edit: DX314 LO works flawlessly even at max volume
First of all, I would too worry about having two pre-amp in a system. Take a look at the N7 functional diagram:

1686890921646.png

The Line out will go through the Line Drivers in Yellow after the output stage of the DAC (i.e., the LPF)
The Pre out will go through the Line Drivers, Volume control, and Gain control stage.

When we said we should avoid double amping, we were referring to having two volume control and two power amplification circuits in a sound system. By power amplification, we are referring to a circuit that will amplify the signal at both voltage and current levels. The Gain stage in the N7 pre-amp is voltage only, it won't increase the current and is significantly lower voltage gain than the phone amp.

So as long as the JRC volume control in N7 offers good transparency, having two pre-amp in your system will only cause very minimum interference.

What is your N7 volume setting when you connect N7 pre-out to your DAC? I agree with FootLighter's assessment, apparently, you are having an input level mismatch between N7 line out and your DAC line input. A bit abnormal because I only encounter similar cases with some Japanese amplifiers previously because some of those amplifiers are designed to work with 1V single-ended and 2V balanced line input levels.

Jun 16, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #1,281 of 1,852
First of all, I would too worry about having two pre-amp in a system. Take a look at the N7 functional diagram:

The Line out will go through the Line Drivers in Yellow after the output stage of the DAC (i.e., the LPF)
The Pre out will go through the Line Drivers, Volume control, and Gain control stage.

When we said we should avoid double amping, we were referring to having two volume control and two power amplification circuits in a sound system. By power amplification, we are referring to a circuit that will amplify the signal at both voltage and current levels. The Gain stage in the N7 pre-amp is voltage only, it won't increase the current and is significantly lower voltage gain than the phone amp.

So as long as the JRC volume control in N7 offers good transparency, having two pre-amp in your system will only cause very minimum interference.

What is your N7 volume setting when you connect N7 pre-out to your DAC? I agree with FootLighter's assessment, apparently, you are having an input level mismatch between N7 line out and your DAC line input. A bit abnormal because I only encounter similar cases with some Japanese amplifiers previously because some of those amplifiers are designed to work with 1V single-ended and 2V balanced line input levels.
I assume the ADI dac is too pro for me as I've changed some settings and both pre and LO modes work now as they should, but almost always its DC protection kicks in regardless of N7's volume and gain setting. After fiddling with the settings playback sometimes returns to normal but I do not understand how changing the conversion from DSD to PCM helps with overcoming DC protection, since changing the setting the other way around does not trigger DC protection again. Any volunteers willing to help me step up my ADI game to pro levels? ADI's own thread is not really active nowadays :)

Jun 16, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #1,282 of 1,852
The weak point is its weak amp
With Jewel , this thing you write about the amp have negative sides with the SQ , or does it just force you to keep the volume higher ?

Jun 16, 2023 at 3:18 AM Post #1,283 of 1,852
With Jewel , this thing you write about the amp have negative sides with the SQ , or does it just force you to keep the volume higher ?
It's about the presentation.
I am not listening louder on C9 but getting better dynamics, layering and depth (while width is yet top notch on stock N7 (best I've heard on a DAP besides DX Max (which anyways has never suffered from a weak amp 😉)

Btw Jewel belongs to the relatively "harder" to drive IEMs (in terms of needing slightly more volume than e.g Mentor), still I am listening on low gain even with Jewel like with all of my IEMs on the go with N7.
Mentor might be still my favorite Pairing with N7

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #1,284 of 1,852
It's about the presentation.
I am not listening louder on C9 but getting better dynamics, layering and depth (while width is yet top notch on stock N7 (best I've heard on a DAP besides DX Max (which anyways has never suffered from a weak amp 😉)

Btw Jewel belongs to the relatively "harder" to drive IEMs (in terms of needing slightly more volume than e.g Mentor), still I am listening on low gain even with Jewel like with all of my IEMs on the go with N7.
Mentor might be still my favorite Pairing with N7
Thanks 👍

Jun 16, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #1,285 of 1,852
Still I am eying Tsuranagi which might be finally end game for IEM amplification but not sure yet if I make yet another investment 😬

Jun 16, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #1,286 of 1,852
Hi! I'm having trouble using Adi 2/4 Pro's preamp mode.I use my Cayin N7 as a source which I feed into the Adi DAC via 4,4 to dual XLR input on the back. While in Lineout mode of the N7, the sound is heavily distorted even at very low volume. When I change to preamp mode, everything sounds great but now I have 2 preamps in my chain? Any ideas?
Is the ground connected in the cable? Pin 5/shell on the 4.4mm plug should be connected to pin 1 on both XLR plugs.

Jun 16, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #1,287 of 1,852
Is the ground connected in the cable? Pin 5/shell on the 4.4mm plug should be connected to pin 1 on both XLR plugs.
I guess it is, as I got it to work after fiddling with ADI's settings only. It would be nice to figure out what was causing the static but since it's not an issue now, I'm alright. Now I only have to figure out what causes the DC protection to trigger since it's persistent after initial connection and I can make it go away via further settings hijinks on ADI's side but my changes make no sense whatsoever...

Jun 16, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #1,288 of 1,852
just got the N7 in. Box opened, I found the 2.5-4.5 adaptor. HIGH QUALITY. I'm really impressed with the build. It's twice the size of my AK25mk2 which is expected. I keep forgetting how large these better devices are. I use a rollator to walk (MS), so I often have a bag round my shoulder, so it's not the biggest deal for me. I'm only a portable user or for 2 hrs a day on my recumbent elliptical, so it's not a game breaker at all.

I'm older and even though I know my audio, I'm not as adept with digital settings etc. as others are. I'm still trying to find the Tidal app. I just assumed it was already installed and all I'd have to do is log in. I'll call the person who sent it to me in order to figure it out (actually I'll PM him, lol). It's really a solid unit and comfortable to hold in my hand. I don't have it in a case, but leather cases are even better to hold onto when on the go (to me, things like that are deal breakers as my hands are tied up holding my rollator when walking. Comfort and ease are paramount for me). Can't wait to listen. hopefully I can figure this out quickly. :) and this is all on me guys. I'm sure you grandson can figure it all out quickly, lol. ha.

Jun 16, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #1,289 of 1,852
just got the N7 in. Box opened, I found the 2.5-4.5 adaptor. HIGH QUALITY. I'm really impressed with the build. It's twice the size of my AK25mk2 which is expected. I keep forgetting how large these better devices are. I use a rollator to walk (MS), so I often have a bag round my shoulder, so it's not the biggest deal for me. I'm only a portable user or for 2 hrs a day on my recumbent elliptical, so it's not a game breaker at all.

I'm older and even though I know my audio, I'm not as adept with digital settings etc. as others are. I'm still trying to find the Tidal app. I just assumed it was already installed and all I'd have to do is log in. I'll call the person who sent it to me in order to figure it out (actually I'll PM him, lol). It's really a solid unit and comfortable to hold in my hand. I don't have it in a case, but leather cases are even better to hold onto when on the go (to me, things like that are deal breakers as my hands are tied up holding my rollator when walking. Comfort and ease are paramount for me). Can't wait to listen. hopefully I can figure this out quickly. :) and this is all on me guys. I'm sure you grandson can figure it all out quickly, lol. ha.

You can download the Tidal app and other music apps or other apps using the Google Play Store app. Having an open Android DAP will be a change from A&K's custom and closed Android :xf_wink:

Swipe up from the bottom of the home screen and you'll see your applications "drawer".

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #1,290 of 1,852
I did download my SD card and LOVED what I heard. It was left on for about 30mins and a bit warm. Easy to hear the difference between Class A and AB. It is connected to my internet, but says it's not connected to the net. I use an Amplify router and it shows it as connected and everything else is working perfectly via wired (my home audio is direct connected) and wireless (most things other than TV, wife's work phone and my audio music player).

Any advice on wifi connection would help here, lol. thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back