Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Jun 8, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #1,246 of 1,872
Im quite enjoying this setup.

IMG_0985.jpeg

Jun 8, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #1,248 of 1,872
That's a very nice system you have there. Brovo.:beerchug:
But I think this is about time to look for a rack

I believe all three digital outputs (I2S, USB Audio, Coaxial) are independent of the pre-DAC digital processing, including the PCM-to-DSD conversion. To make sure I didn't feed the wrong information to you, I have fired the question to our Engineering, hopefully, I can confirm this early next week.

I have confirmed with our Engineers, all three digital outputs are designed to output the unaltered digital signal after the digital receiver circuit, they won't go through Audio Bridge or PCM-to-DSD conversion.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 9, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #1,249 of 1,872
Hi! I'm having trouble using Adi 2/4 Pro's preamp mode.I use my Cayin N7 as a source which I feed into the Adi DAC via 4,4 to dual XLR input on the back. While in Lineout mode of the N7, the sound is heavily distorted even at very low volume. When I change to preamp mode, everything sounds great but now I have 2 preamps in my chain? Any ideas?

Jun 9, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #1,250 of 1,872
Hi! I'm having trouble using Adi 2/4 Pro's preamp mode.I use my Cayin N7 as a source which I feed into the Adi DAC via 4,4 to dual XLR input on the back. While in Lineout mode of the N7, the sound is heavily distorted even at very low volume. When I change to preamp mode, everything sounds great but now I have 2 preamps in my chain? Any ideas?
Just an idea: is N7 connected to AC power at that moment?

Jun 9, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #1,251 of 1,872
Nope, purely on battery. Do note, the only thing that I change is the mode of Cayin's 4,4 output and the volume since I'm new to this and don't want to supernova my gear accidentaly. So things like power and audio source stay the same

Jun 9, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #1,252 of 1,872
Nope, purely on battery. Do note, the only thing that I change is the mode of Cayin's 4,4 output and the volume since I'm new to this and don't want to supernova my gear accidentaly. So things like power and audio source stay the same
Just wondering if there could be some grounding issue but strange that it appears only in LO mode.
How's the situation when feeding LO to ADI without ADI preamp mode and listening out of ADI PO?

Jun 9, 2023 at 1:16 AM Post #1,253 of 1,872
Just wondering if there could be some grounding issue but strange that it appears only in LO mode.
How's the situation when feeding LO to ADI without ADI preamp mode and listening out of ADI PO?
The ADI has to be set to either auto (so it switches to preamp on its own) or preamp mode manually for analog to analog operation.

Jun 9, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #1,254 of 1,872
The ADI has to be set to either auto (so it switches to preamp on its own) or preamp mode manually for analog to analog operation.
Ok, I thought you are forwarding the ADI signal to another Amp as it's called preamp mode.
If that distortion can be heard out of ADIs PO too then I have no other idea.

Edit: actually I have an idea.
In N7 preamp mode you are regulating the output signal on N7 and signal strength is therefore potentially far lower than in LO mode where it's maxed out.
I assume that in LO mode the signal is too hot for the ADI whereas in preamp mode the signal strength is low enough to be fine.
At least that's how it works on C9 where in C9 preamp mode C9 volume is maxed out and N7 is feeding a variable low signal.

So might it be that ADIs LO mode isn't set correctly/have you tried other LO sources but N7?

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #1,255 of 1,872
Ok, I thought you are forwarding the ADI signal to another Amp as it's called preamp mode.
If that distortion can be heard out of ADIs PO too then I have no other idea.

Edit: actually I have an idea.
In N7 preamp mode you are regulating the output signal on N7 and signal strength is therefore potentially far lower than in LO mode where it's maxed out.
I assume that in LO mode the signal is too hot for the ADI whereas in preamp mode the signal strength is low enough to be fine.
At least that's how it works on C9 where in C9 preamp mode C9 volume is maxed out and N7 is feeding a variable low signal.

So might it be that ADIs LO mode isn't set correctly/have you tried other LO sources but N7?
Actually I gave up on listening to gear yesterday and stuck with my double preamp bonanza since it improved N7's amp deficiency in a very noticeable way and I just couldn't stop listening. I will try DX314's dedicated line out today, thanks for the idea!

Edit: DX314 LO works flawlessly even at max volume

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #1,256 of 1,872
Hello all, I spent some time this morning trying to hear any differences in class A between medium and high gain, doing my best to adjust to a similar phon level.

High gain seems to bring the mids more forward and create a greater sense of air, I also hear more edge in the treble and presence. It can convey a sense of an event or excitement at times. I also found it to become a bit fatiguing over time.

Medium gain sounds smoother and more layered, and the instruments have more body and are rounded. I can hear a touch more emotion in voices, more intimacy. Depending on the track, I find it more engaging and deep.

The differences are so slight I really had to work to try to generalize this. I’m curious whether anyone else has thoughts or perspective on the topic. I tend to favor high gain for rock or big stage orchestral arrangements and medium gain for everything else. If I had to only pick one gain level, I would pick medium as it can do it all oh so well.

Jun 10, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #1,257 of 1,872
Sorry if it was mentioned before
I messed up applying one of the front screen protectors.
Is there some compatible one like Samsung phone xyz I can order as a substitute instead?

Jun 10, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #1,258 of 1,872
Jun 10, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #1,259 of 1,872
Jun 10, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #1,260 of 1,872
Sorry if it was mentioned before
I messed up applying one of the front screen protectors.
Is there some compatible one like Samsung phone xyz I can order as a substitute instead?
I visited my local phone repair shop and the employee chose one for me. And applied it for free! These dudes use some black magic during the process since I have a can of air and window cleaner at home, I even do the steamy bathroom trick and always end up with some stuff forming bubbles. And he does the same at the dousty counter sans the Steam with no bubbles whatsoever :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back