Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Jun 2, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #1,231 of 1,864
That's a very nice system you have there. Brovo.:beerchug:
But I think this is about time to look for a rack
Thanks Andy. You always know how to flatter.

I believe all three digital outputs (I2S, USB Audio, Coaxial) are independent of the pre-DAC digital processing, including the PCM-to-DSD conversion.
That would make sense. However, seeing how many DSD enthusiast exist around here it might be a selling feature to use it as an upscaler/dsd converter The needed hardware is already there.

To make sure I didn't feed the wrong information to you, I have fired the question to our Engineering, hopefully, I can confirm this early next week.
Looking forward to it.

When you connect the N7 to an external DAC, you have put the DAC, LPF, and Headphone Amplifier into idle. That's why the battery hold good. My wild guess is, you can around 20 hours per charge cycle?
No idea. No measurement made.

Jun 2, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #1,232 of 1,864
Hello everyone! I spent a bit of time today with the N7 and the EQ which is part of the Hiby app. I listen to flac files with the mest 2, and historically have liked to give a small bump at 2 and 4k to increase the immediacy on the mest 2, which is a bit flatter at those frequencies than other monitors. Unlike on my Hiby, I kept 1k and below at stock tuning because bass is quite good with the N7 and mids are firm.

I find the EQ works great and only the smallest of adjustments were needed to give me that little extra clarity and presence. Stock tuning still sounds great, but I am quite happy that EQ sound shaping is in play with the N7.

Happy listening!

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #1,233 of 1,864
EE EVO sounds great on N7. Fir xe6 , not so good . Custom Art. F5 is spectacular.

Jun 3, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #1,234 of 1,864
EE EVO sounds great on N7. Fir xe6 , not so good . Custom Art. F5 is spectacular.

We all hear pairings differently and expanding beyond what’s “not so good” with XE6 would helpful to better understand what you’re hearing.

N7’s synergy with FiRs IEMs, stock and rolled cables are pretty darn good. If you’re hearing bass and mids bleeding into each other, I recommend using Class A with FiRs.

IMG_1068.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #1,235 of 1,864
We all hear pairings differently and expanding beyond what’s “not so good” with XE6 would helpful to better understand what you’re hearing.

N7’s synergy with FiRs IEMs, stock and rolled cables are pretty darn good. If you’re hearing bass and mids bleeding into each other, I recommend using Class A with FiRs.

IMG_1068.jpeg
thanks auricon. That’s what I heard with my Xe6. It just sounded off compared to my other DAPs

Jun 4, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #1,236 of 1,864
Funny thing happened this morning with the N7. I had it cooking for a while on class A, I always feel like the warmer the better but that of course is a silly thought. Anyway I played a track I use regularly for reference and it was so spacious, layered, and beautiful that once the track completed I immediately shut the unit down and am done listening for the day. It was as if the sound was so perfect I didn’t want anything else to disturb the memory. Has anyone else had that experience? Strange hobby this is…

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #1,237 of 1,864
Funny thing happened this morning with the N7. I had it cooking for a while on class A, I always feel like the warmer the better but that of course is a silly thought. Anyway I played a track I use regularly for reference and it was so spacious, layered, and beautiful that once the track completed I immediately shut the unit down and am done listening for the day. It was as if the sound was so perfect I didn’t want anything else to disturb the memory. Has anyone else had that strange experience? Strange hobby this is…

Just a ❤️ reacts. That is what all of us are in this for.

Jun 4, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #1,238 of 1,864
Funny thing happened this morning with the N7. I had it cooking for a while on class A, I always feel like the warmer the better but that of course is a silly thought. Anyway I played a track I use regularly for reference and it was so spacious, layered, and beautiful that once the track completed I immediately shut the unit down and am done listening for the day. It was as if the sound was so perfect I didn’t want anything else to disturb the memory. Has anyone else had that strange experience? Strange hobby this is…
I completely get your point.
I often play track by track looking for the next kick but I find it also very satisfying to stop a listening session with one track which completely captivates you and keep that feeling for the upcoming sleep or work or whatever comes next

Jun 5, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #1,239 of 1,864
I find the pairing of n7 and c9 great!
It seems that the player realizes its potential even better thanks to the connection to the amplifier,
and the fit is good,
I'm a bit wondering about claims I've seen about the level of detail and resolution of the n7
I actually find it super detailed,
The dynamics and micro dynamics are also excellent.

Jun 5, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #1,240 of 1,864
I actually find it super detailed,
The dynamics and micro dynamics are also excellent.

I'm in agreement. The inconsistency with other impressions are likely down to transducer choice. It's impossible not to hear how much detail N7 produces on an Odin, Storm, TH900 or a Utopia.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #1,241 of 1,864
I wonder if Hiby will add Qobuz to Music player like on the HiBy R3 where you can use Tidal/Qobuz.
I received an answer from HiBy.
"The HiBy Music application is a free high-quality music player designed for HiFi that can be installed directly on Android-based devices from the Google Play Store. Currently, only the Tidal feature has been integrated into the Android HiBy Music app, and we have plans to integrate the Qobuz feature in the future. Please stay tuned."

Jun 8, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #1,242 of 1,864
I received an answer from HiBy.
"The HiBy Music application is a free high-quality music player designed for HiFi that can be installed directly on Android-based devices from the Google Play Store. Currently, only the Tidal feature has been integrated into the Android HiBy Music app, and we have plans to integrate the Qobuz feature in the future. Please stay tuned."

HiBy Pro Music app is available on N7 but error updating through the app.

2.0.7 was available on all HiBy devices and was able to update my RS8 successfully yesterday. Qobuz Music module was added and you can switching between Tidal or Qobuz in the app settings.

Update: 09:33AM EST
Launch Google Play Store and checked for updates – there were no updates.
Then received Android notification to allow HiBy Music app to install update.
Tapped "Allow"
HiBy Music player updated and prompted to reboot N7. Reboot.

See photos to access streaming platform options.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hib...ressions-thread.964900/page-154#post-17594667

IMG_1790.JPG
IMG_1791.JPGIMG_1792.JPGIMG_1793.JPGIMG_1794.JPGIMG_1795.JPGIMG_1796.JPGIMG_1797.JPG

IMG_1798 2.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #1,243 of 1,864
So is the Hiby music app considered to better for Qobuz use rather than the Qobuz app?

Jun 8, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #1,244 of 1,864
So is the Hiby music app considered to better for Qobuz use rather than the Qobuz app?
If you want to hear my opinion without comparing yet: do you prefer UApp over Qobuz?
The answer to your question can be answered similarly I suppose.
The only reason I see is if there are certain plug-ins dedicated to the specific app such as Convolution filters etc

Jun 8, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #1,245 of 1,864
If you want to hear my opinion without comparing yet: do you prefer UApp over Qobuz?
The answer to your question can be answered similarly I suppose.
The only reason I see is if there are certain plug-ins dedicated to the specific app such as Convolution filters etc

Pretty much this :point_up: if you want to use PEQ, MSEB and plug-ins with Tidal or Qobuz. The only limitation is – like Tidal – you're unable to download tracks to play them offline.

Was waiting to see if the new "Dynamics" plugin was added via OTA and perhaps HiBy may have made that plugin exclusive to HiBy DAPs.

I've been using all day yesterday and the plugin brought some welcomed PRaT, mid bass fullness and impact to UM Indigos.

IMG_1780.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back