Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Apr 5, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #857 of 1,852
If you're exclusively Windows, NTFS is fine. Personally, I prefer ExFat for cross platform compatibility.

If you're using the NativeDSD downloader, copy the entire album folder over to microSD:

https://help.nativedsd.com/en/articles/3204814-nativedsd-downloader-user-manual

Simply copy the raw DSD files to your micrSD card no need to run it through any application
Then put it back in your N7 and run scan for audio files, that's all, sane goes for flac, and mp3 or wav files, N7 will retrieve all the files and catalog them and sort them nicely ready to play
20230405_152550.jpg
20230405_153203.jpg
20230405_153217.jpg
20230405_152531.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #858 of 1,852
Simply copy the raw DSD files to your micrSD card no need to run it through any application
Then put it back in your N7 and run scan for audio files, that's all, sane goes for flac, and mp3 or wav files, N7 will retrieve all the files and catalog them and sort them nicely ready to play 20230405_152550.jpg20230405_152531.jpg

Sorry, did you mean to reply to a different reply?

Apr 5, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #860 of 1,852
Apr 6, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #861 of 1,852
First impressions on N7, less than an hour of listening so it is only indicative...

The first thing I have noticed has been a big soundstage, with very good height and depth, secondly excellent clarity with a great level of detail, it is soft in the sense that there is nothing overly emphasized or exaggerated but it is very dynamic, the bass is deep, organic mids and good treble extension, ideal I would say, I prefer the iems to add color to the extremes if that is what you are looking for. I would highlight above all a very natural sound.

The system is decently fast and the screen is of very good quality, however I prefer slightly larger screens. Where I am quite sad at the moment is that Power AMP doesn't work, yes, I know there are better players out there but I always use that one, it has always worked without problems on all my DAPs except on N7...

Time bar is jumping several seconds, between 5 and 10, the output does not emit any type of sound... I copied the configuration of my DX320 point by point but it did not solve the problem, neither by restarting the device ... I hope it will be solved in future update...

Apr 7, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #863 of 1,852
Here is my impressions of the N7.
This review will also cover the HIFIMAN Shangri-la Jr electrostat and Arctic Cable Opera balanced to XLR interconnect from Cayin N7 to HIFIMAN eStat. Amplifier
For the N7 amplification I used HIFIMAN HE1000SE and the HIFIMAN Edition XS (Stealth magnets version)
For N7 Wonderfully innovative DAC, I used the HIFIMAN Shangri-la Jr System (amplifier and headphone) and to be sure that the Signal going from N7 to Shangri-la Jr electrostat Amplifier is pure and complete I use the only cable I have come to trust, Arctic Cable Silver/palladium Opera Cable( there is a huge difference when used)
I have owned many Cayin DAPs over the years starting from those tiny N3, N5 to N6ii-E02, N6ii-RO1(R2R DAC) to the Wonderful N8ii and now the new N7. I have stuck with Cayin because of their focus on getting as natural a sound as possible from any hardware they had to work with, that passion I believe continues till date. When I upgraded my motherboard from the E02 to R01 an R2R DAC based DAP, the amazing natural detailed and extended range sound exuding from this device suddenly made me realize that my then beloved Fostex T60RP(a plannar) was no longer revealing all the details, it was very clear I has to upgrade. This is how I got to know HIFIMAN, noted for plannar magnetic headphones too, but they also shared a passion for natural, detailed and extended frequency response and great value for money like Cayin. Hence I find these two match perfectly (for me anyway).

The N7 from my listening experience is the best DAP from Cayin today, let me say it now, I am keeping my N8ii and N6ii-RO1 also 😉
The N7 requires a rather extended break-in time, it sounds great immediately yes, but you just wait for about 3weeks, this may be because of the extensive use of discrete components in the build.
It is extremely resolving, a champion of inner details resolution, layering, 3D soundstage, natural rich tonality, listen to very well recorded violins or strings in general and you will smile, because of the tonal accuracy piano sounds are also ecstatic, revealing many tonal colors and depth and for vocals wow 👌 just accurate and natural, not dripping because of coloration..no, just right. I believe when a device has a natural frequency response that is naturally even and very extended it is able to reproduce fundamental frequencies and proper odd and even harmonic content of each instrumental notes that give them character even as the performers themselves based on how they play can alter the relative quantity of these odd and even harmonics relative to the fundamental to create their own individual sounds. This is what I enjoy most in the Cayin N7 and these qualities are allowed to come through very clearly by the Arctic Cable palladium to the HIFIMAN Shangri-la Jr electrostat to my ears.
The Shangri-la Jr has a stated frequency response of 7hz to 120khz!, it is a very revealing system(transparent) don't try to drive it with another amplifier, doing so will emphasize one aspect at the detriment of another. The bass is very deep, the mids very natural and the highs very extended and smooth. A real bargain. Any complaints you may have about the sound, check your input device and cables instead.
The N7 bit stream DAC is phenomenal, with the Arctic Cable palladium connecting it to the Shangri-la jr. You will hear immediacy, natural punch, brilliance, a lot of details, a liveliness that even HIFIMAN other plannars can't match, as good as they all are, but that eStat. Speed makes all the difference.
At this point you are all wandering how does the N7 compare with the N8ii and even maybe the Cayin’s R2R DAP N6ii-RO1, in my opinion based on listening, not because I am trying to protect my previous purchases, it betters all of them. N6ii-RO1 is great but it does not have the details nor the driving ability of the N8ii, though a bit more organic, just a bit, N8ii design is quite sophisticated especially the Tube amp. N7 and N8ii are a bit close when playing flac or Mp3 recordings N7 being a bit brighter and punchier and fuller(more extended) N8ii tube amp gives a feeling of being wider sound, the big difference comes when you play a DSD file, OMG, the N7 just knocks the socks off any competition local and foreign 😀. Try these recordings to see what I am talking about, Carmen Gomes "Thousand Shades of Blue" DSD512f, the realism of the drums, bass, cymbals not to mention her voice wow!!! Then go over to the Shangri-la jr to hear this and the vividness could be a shock. The clarity of her diction, the emotional expression will knock your socks off. Listening via the HIFIMAN HE1000SE you will hear some of these too but not as vivid, the HIFIMAN Edition XS does not shame itself here either, this is another superb performer for those on a budget. The piano tones, listen to the new release on BIS label 192kz/24bit "Echo" especially the 5tracks contributed by Huw Watkins, who also played the piano on this album. The piano tones all ring through in various colors like sparkling diamonds.
For strings(violin) try the Harmonia mundi release of Isabelle Faust -violin and Anna Prohaska- Soprano of Gyorgy Kurtags "kafka-Fragmente)... spellbinding!, for large orchestra
I used the Gustav Mahler's 7th Symphony Budapest Festival Orchestra a DSD recording ..I was transported to another world where the music continued endlessly!. Another recording I need to mention here is ECM recording of Stephan Micus' "Thunder" Stunning especially on that Title track you will actually see clouds gather in the sky 😀 the drums, the strange traditional horn instrument used and those tiny chimes that are Never masked inspite of the power of the other percussions instruments...a testament to how N7/Shangri-la Jr tracks every sound in your mix, for String Quartets, listening to the Dover Quartet's Beethoven's Grosse Fuge op133 playing is so detailed, vivid and clear that all inner details as thoroughly observed by the players is revealed and you feel like you are hearing this work for the first time as Beethoven meant for it to be heard, you can see the ocean waves rise and fall.
Enjoy 😁

20230405_204731.jpg

Get Outlook for Android

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #865 of 1,852
How’s N7’s SQ when streaming?

PCM transcoding to DSD512 is flawless and streaming sounds as good as playing a local DSD/DXD file – glitch free streaming on Qobuz, Bandcamp, Apple Music, but Tidal being Tidal when going from Hi-FI to unfolding Masters otherwise no issues.

Apr 7, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #866 of 1,852
This review will also cover the HIFIMAN Shangri-la Jr electrostat and Arctic Cable Opera balanced to XLR interconnect from Cayin N7 to HIFIMAN eStat. Amplifier
For the N7 amplification I used HIFIMAN HE1000SE and the HIFIMAN Edition XS (Stealth magnets version)
For N7 Wonderfully innovative DAC, I used the HIFIMAN Shangri-la Jr System (amplifier and headphone) and to be sure that the Signal going from N7 to Shangri-la Jr electrostat Amplifier is pure and complete I use the only cable I have come to trust, Arctic Cable Silver/palladium Opera Cable( there is a huge difference when used)
I have owned many Cayin DAPs over the years starting from those tiny N3, N5 to N6ii-E02, N6ii-RO1(R2R DAC) to the Wonderful N8ii and now the new N7. I have stuck with Cayin because of their focus on getting as natural a sound as possible from any hardware they had to work with, that passion I believe continues till date. When I upgraded my motherboard from the E02 to R01 an R2R DAC based DAP, the amazing natural detailed and extended range sound exuding from this device suddenly made me realize that my then beloved Fostex T60RP(a plannar) was no longer revealing all the details, it was very clear I has to upgrade. This is how I got to know HIFIMAN, noted for plannar magnetic headphones too, but they also shared a passion for natural, detailed and extended frequency response and great value for money like Cayin. Hence I find these two match perfectly (for me anyway).

The N7 from my listening experience is the best DAP from Cayin today, let me say it now, I am keeping my N8ii and N6ii-RO1 also 😉
The N7 requires a rather extended break-in time, it sounds great immediately yes, but you just wait for about 3weeks, this may be because of the extensive use of discrete components in the build.
It is extremely resolving, a champion of inner details resolution, layering, 3D soundstage, natural rich tonality, listen to very well recorded violins or strings in general and you will smile, because of the tonal accuracy piano sounds are also ecstatic, revealing many tonal colors and depth and for vocals wow 👌 just accurate and natural, not dripping because of coloration..no, just right. I believe when a device has a natural frequency response that is naturally even and very extended it is able to reproduce fundamental frequencies and proper odd and even harmonic content of each instrumental notes that give them character even as the performers themselves based on how they play can alter the relative quantity of these odd and even harmonics relative to the fundamental to create their own individual sounds. This is what I enjoy most in the Cayin N7 and these qualities are allowed to come through very clearly by the Arctic Cable palladium to the HIFIMAN Shangri-la Jr electrostat to my ears.
The Shangri-la Jr has a stated frequency response of 7hz to 120khz!, it is a very revealing system(transparent) don't try to drive it with another amplifier, doing so will emphasize one aspect at the detriment of another. The bass is very deep, the mids very natural and the highs very extended and smooth. A real bargain. Any complaints you may have about the sound, check your input device and cables instead.
The N7 bit stream DAC is phenomenal, with the Arctic Cable palladium connecting it to the Shangri-la jr. You will hear immediacy, natural punch, brilliance, a lot of details, a liveliness that even HIFIMAN other plannars can't match, as good as they all are, but that eStat. Speed makes all the difference.
At this point you are all wandering how does the N7 compare with the N8ii and even maybe the Cayin’s R2R DAP N6ii-RO1, in my opinion based on listening, not because I am trying to protect my previous purchases, it betters all of them. N6ii-RO1 is great but it does not have the details nor the driving ability of the N8ii, though a bit more organic, just a bit, N8ii design is quite sophisticated especially the Tube amp. N7 and N8ii are a bit close when playing flac or Mp3 recordings N7 being a bit brighter and punchier and fuller(more extended) N8ii tube amp gives a feeling of being wider sound, the big difference comes when you play a DSD file, OMG, the N7 just knocks the socks off any competition local and foreign 😀. Try these recordings to see what I am talking about, Carmen Gomes "Thousand Shades of Blue" DSD512f, the realism of the drums, bass, cymbals not to mention her voice wow!!! Then go over to the Shangri-la jr to hear this and the vividness could be a shock. The clarity of her diction, the emotional expression will knock your socks off. Listening via the HIFIMAN HE1000SE you will hear some of these too but not as vivid, the HIFIMAN Edition XS does not shame itself here either, this is another superb performer for those on a budget. The piano tones, listen to the new release on BIS label 192kz/24bit "Echo" especially the 5tracks contributed by Huw Watkins, who also played the piano on this album. The piano tones all ring through in various colors like sparkling diamonds.
For strings(violin) try the Harmonia mundi release of Isabelle Faust -violin and Anna Prohaska- Soprano of Gyorgy Kurtags "kafka-Fragmente)... spellbinding!, for large orchestra
I used the Gustav Mahler's 7th Symphony Budapest Festival Orchestra a DSD recording ..I was transported to another world where the music continued endlessly!. Another recording I need to mention here is ECM recording of Stephan Micus' "Thunder" Stunning especially on that Title track you will actually see clouds gather in the sky 😀 the drums, the strange traditional horn instrument used and those tiny chimes that are Never masked inspite of the power of the other percussions instruments...a testament to how N7/Shangri-la Jr tracks every sound in your mix, for String Quartets, listening to the Dover Quartet's Beethoven's Grosse Fuge op133 playing is so detailed, vivid and clear that all inner details as thoroughly observed by the players is revealed and you feel like you are hearing this work for the first time as Beethoven meant for it to be heard, you can see the ocean waves rise and fall.
Enjoy 😁

20230405_204731.jpg
Get Outlook for Android

Thank you for your detailed impression. This is particularly useful to those who are interested in the line-out capability of N7. Most impressions are covering the N7 (or compare to N8ii) as an all-in-one DAP. Glad to have a review from a different perspective, covering different applications.

For the record, part of this review compared the line out of N7 and N8ii. when excluding the headphone amplification circuit in these DAPs, the two indeed are very close to each other when playing back PCM tracks, and the N7 will demonstrate its edge when we playback DSD tracks.

I don't know if they adjusted the price. but when I check them out in 2019 (before COVID), the HIFIMAN Shangri-la was retailed at $8K (Amp + speaker). I think this is a very competitive package when compared to other electrostatic headphones., a very good package for those who are looking for an electrostatic amp and speaker at the same time. By the way, I try to figure out the cost of Opera 4.4mm to dual XLR cable but when I visited the Arctic Cable website, I can select the cable termination to 4.4mm, but I can't specify 2xXLR3 in the other termination. So can you tell us the ball-park figure of your Opera interconnect?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 7, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #867 of 1,852
PCM transcoding to DSD512 is flawless and streaming sounds as good as playing a local DSD/DXD file – glitch free streaming on Qobuz, Bandcamp, Apple Music, but Tidal being Tidal when going from Hi-FI to unfolding Masters otherwise no issues.
Thanks for the reply. My usage is 50:50 streaming and local playback. I have only flac collection. So wanted to know how does N7 fare for my usage.

Apr 7, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #868 of 1,852
Thanks for the reply. My usage is 50:50 streaming and local playback. I have only flac collection. So wanted to know how does N7 fare for my usage.

Sure thing. I stream more than I have in the past – 80% streaming and 20% local which consist primarily of DSD 256 to 1024, DXD, SACD ISO and small number of FLAC, etc.

I was up late until this morning listening to Tidal for 6 hours and I couldn’t discern much difference between HiFi and Master quality playback except I was grooving to the beats.

Relative to my FiR RN6, N7 has an expansive soundstage and naturally neutral resolving tonality, excellent bass with nice deep textural rumble and mid bass impact - similar to my HiBy RS8 though RS8 has tad more warm and goes deeper. Treble is also natural and quite detailed which helps in resolution and layering.

I’ve been shifting away from Delta-Sig DAPs and truly enjoying discreet and discreet-like DAC signatures and hold both N7 and RS8 in high regard.

Apr 7, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #869 of 1,852

Enjoy 😁

20230405_204731.jpg
Get Outlook for Android
Great description of your experience with N7.
Thanks also for music recommendation. Stephan Micus album is a wonderful experience.
I suggest also share your review on official N7 thread, would be helpful for more people.

Apr 7, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #870 of 1,852
Thank you for your detailed impression. This is particularly useful to those who are interested in the line-out capability of N7. Most impressions are covering the N7 (or compare to N8ii) as an all-in-one DAP. Glad to have a review from a different perspective, covering different applications.

For the record, part of this review compared the line out of N7 and N8ii. when excluding the headphone amplification circuit in these DAPs, the two indeed are very close to each other when playing back PCM tracks, and the N7 will demonstrate its edge when we playback DSD tracks.

I don't know if they adjusted the price. but when I check them out in 2019 (before COVID), the HIFIMAN Shangri-la was retailed at $8K (Amp + speaker). I think this is a very competitive package when compared to other electrostatic headphones., a very good package for those who are looking for an electrostatic amp and speaker at the same time. By the way, I try to figure out the cost of Opera 4.4mm to dual XLR cable but when I visited the Arctic Cable website, I can select the cable termination to 4.4mm, but I can't specify 2xXLR3 in the other termination. So can you tell us the ball-park figure of your Opera interconnect?
The Arctic Cable palladium Opera will cost about $2000 because of the double XLR, the cable run doubles. But talk to Val. He may give you a discount, he can be nice that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back