Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Mar 14, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #707 of 1,850
Is it normal that I get pops when i pause/unpause or skip a track on an ISO file? I also see the Korg tubes flicker when theres a pop
Got my N7 today. Sounds great out of the box, wonder what can be improved with burn-in... Unfortunately I also hear a very loud pop sound when pausing or skipping DSD files, flac files are all playing fine :frowning2: Tried different gain settings and both balanced and non-balanced, it is still audible and quite loud. Does anybody experience the same?

Mar 15, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #709 of 1,850
hi folks,

does the n7/n8II have "gapless"-function?
Gapless is a sw function (buffering ahead to skip the silence gap), not hw. N7/N8ii are android daps and you can run different payback apps. The pre-installed HibyMusic has gapless functionality.

Mar 15, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #710 of 1,850
A match in heaven.
Sounds so natural and authentic.

Attachments

• 37D0E5A7-9C45-4254-8F2E-B01FE17509B9.jpeg
    37D0E5A7-9C45-4254-8F2E-B01FE17509B9.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Mar 15, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #711 of 1,850
Got my N7 today. Sounds great out of the box, wonder what can be improved with burn-in... Unfortunately I also hear a very loud pop sound when pausing or skipping DSD files, flac files are all playing fine :frowning2: Tried different gain settings and both balanced and non-balanced, it is still audible and quite loud. Does anybody experience the same?
Yes I hear it when selecting a DSD file to play, almost the sound you hear when you drop the stylus on an LP player on the platter and strangely enough also at the end of the music just like the tck tck tck when the record finishes playing and stylus is just going through blank groves on the LP!! 🙂 was this deliberate...to make us think its analog? I think not. I must agree though that the sound from N7 with DSD512F is so very analog and clear and real is shocking ...try Carmen Gomes "Ray! " From NativeDSD folks wow 👌

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #713 of 1,850
Yes I hear it when selecting a DSD file to play, almost the sound you hear when you drop the stylus on an LP player on the platter and strangely enough also at the end of the music just like the tck tck tck when the record finishes playing and stylus is just going through blank groves on the LP!! 🙂 was this deliberate...to make us think its analog? I think not. I must agree though that the sound from N7 with DSD512F is so very analog and clear and real is shocking ...try Carmen Gomes "Ray! " From NativeDSD folks wow 👌
Ah, I have "Ray!" in flac, will have to update my collection with DSDs now :)

Mar 15, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #714 of 1,850
80 hours in and enjoying one of if not the best DSD512 playback I've listened to date and PCM upsampling to DSD512 is f'ing remarkable.

N7's soundstage is expansive and dimensional with immersive holographic imaging. Very impressed with the resolution and sound layering where N7 shares a RS8-like natural tonality and immersive musicality. Switching to Class A adds more weight to the bass and body to lower mids bringing it bass closer to RS8 signature which is great for an IEM like UM Mest Mk2 and Indigo with Class AB more for bass-centric IEM like FiR Audio's Xe6, VE EXT and EE EVO.

Updated Mar 16: Minor audio pop when changing to next or previous DSD256-512 tracks during playback. I've experienced this across other DAPs and accustomed ot it, though depending on IEM it's can be more or less than others. No issue with FLACs or streaming app like Tidal, Bandcamp, Qobuz. An annoyance has been low to medium garble/pop when navigating to next or previous DSD track during playback. This occurs using either the UI or side controls. I've experienced this across other DAPs and while accustomed to it, it's quite prominent compared to others. I've also noted it to be less on some IEMs compared to others. No issue with switching on streaming apps like Tidal, Bandcamp, Qobuz.

Minor quirk has been a tight fitting case. Cayin had the opposite issue with N8ii where the fit was a bit loose. This time its tight and depending on how you hold the cased N7, the power button seems to get triggered while handling canceling interactions on display. The factory applied back protector wasn't properly applied, showing a couple of bubbles – yes, I did remove the protector on top of the back protector, LOL. I ended up taking the back screen protector off which helped with the accidental side control triggers.

In regards to the display, it looks nicer and less grainy than N8ii?!?, the resolution seems higher and the updated wallpaper has a nice modern touch.

Overall, very impressed with Cayin's newest 1bit DSD DAP and the N7 becoming a great companion to my primary GOAT, HiBy's RS8.

IMG_0992.jpeg

Never got around to posting delivery pics

IMG_0983.jpeg

IMG_0991.jpeg

Golden knob stack

IMG_0990.jpeg

Herding :goat:

IMG_0987.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #716 of 1,850
Otherwise, very impressed with Cayin's newest DAP and becoming a great companion to HiBy's RS8

Herding :goat:

IMG_0987.jpeg
Man! Do you live in heaven? I'm drooling all over my desk! hahaha

Would you happen to have a nice desktop amp as well? I would be really grateful to get some feedback from these babies using their lineout into an external amp.

Mar 15, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #717 of 1,850
How does it compare to the 300 Max?

Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to compare the two in detail and been leisurely "burning in" the N7 and noting impressions between N8ii and RS8. I'll switch it up this weekend with 3MAX.

Mar 15, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #718 of 1,850
Man! Do you live in heaven? I'm drooling all over my desk! hahaha

Would you happen to have a nice desktop amp as well? I would be really grateful to get some feedback from these babies using their lineout into an external amp.

Haha, thank you for the kind compliment. Unfortunately no desktop amp, only a portable Cayin C9.

Mar 16, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #719 of 1,850
So as a very happy N6ii R01 owner, should I be coughing up my readies for a shiny new N7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back