Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Mar 13, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #691 of 1,852
This is a very interesting calculation, did you borrow this methodology from a cost-benefit analysis of project evaluation or a similar scenario? This sure looks like something I did when I taught a System Analysis and Design course a long time ago.
Thanks, oh nice! Yes, it is based off the cost-benefit analysis for project/ service provision - which I guess would be something you would also review at the end (either of sprint or delivery). I picked it up from a Business Analysis & Intelligence Course - but I would guess there is a lot similar with other Analysis courses. Just replaced effeciency with sq % and cut off any time related calculations. Usually the business would come up with a target for effeciency and track that in real time, but with any Economics/ Business calculations they don't always get it right. There are a lot of assumptions already (i.e. in this case 80% is correct, cost of production is proportional for all products & ignores price category differences - the ratio of performance increase would get worse with price, i.e. it's more difficult to squeeze performance gains as price goes higher) and there are variables outside what's factored. Makes for a good baseline though.

Mar 13, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #692 of 1,852
I suppose many headfiers would burst into tears putting in their numbers of past investments.
After one guy in our local group was showing his excel sheet of Inputs and outputs of last years many were responding they are afraid to make this calculation for themselves.
If it’s about planning ahead with budget still ok a decision help is of course valuable

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #694 of 1,852
Got my N7 today !!Anyone can tell me how i use the HiBy Cast option?

Are you planning to use HiByCast on an iOS or Android device?
If iOS, you’re out of luck as the iOS cast client has not been available since the launch of the HiBy RS8.

Installing HiByCast app on your Android Device
  1. Launch the HiByCast app on N7, scan the QR code using your device or navigate to cast.hiby.com in a browser.
  2. Browser will ask to download "HiByCast Client for Android_v1.0.1227.apk". Download the APK and install.
  3. Launch the HiByCast client on your Android device and accept the user privacy agreement.
  4. You should see your Cayin N7 on the Device List, which follows this format “HiByCast-####” followed by an assigned IP address on your network.

IMG_0964.JPG

Tap that and you should see a mirror cast of your N7’s display.

If you don't see the N7 in the device list, use "Scan" in HiByCast Android app and scan the QR code on shown in HiBy Cast DAP app.

Once connected, if the casted display is rotated on your Android device, unlock your phone’s display orientation. Once display orientation lock / "Portrait" mode is turn off, the cast will auto-rotate correctly on your phone. You can then re-lock your phone’s display back to Portrait and it’ll show up correctly for future launches.

D1D5D79E-57B3-4CE9-8158-EE3C944923DC.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #695 of 1,852
Thanks, oh nice! Yes, it is based off the cost-benefit analysis for project/ service provision - which I guess would be something you would also review at the end (either of sprint or delivery). I picked it up from a Business Analysis & Intelligence Course - but I would guess there is a lot similar with other Analysis courses. Just replaced effeciency with sq % and cut off any time related calculations. Usually the business would come up with a target for effeciency and track that in real time, but with any Economics/ Business calculations they don't always get it right. There are a lot of assumptions already (i.e. in this case 80% is correct, cost of production is proportional for all products & ignores price category differences - the ratio of performance increase would get worse with price, i.e. it's more difficult to squeeze performance gains as price goes higher) and there are variables outside what's factored. Makes for a good baseline though.

With this method, you can probably find the DAP that offers the highest CP (cost performance). However, it is unlikely that you'll end up with the DAP that you like.

The objective of cost-benefit analysis is to eliminate subjective judgment and focus on objective assessment only. Unfortunately, the Personal Audio hobby is a game about subjective passion, objective analysis plays a very small part in the final pleasure of the game. If you must exercise cost-benefit analysis on this hobby, its likely that you find it helpful with entry-level products because there is less subjective feeling in this category, when you climb up the ladder, subjective feeling will take up a more important role gradually. By the time you reach the high-end / TOTL products, the subjective feeling is the dominating factor. In addition, if CP is your primary assessment, a $500 DAP tends to offer a higher CP than a $1000 DAP in general, because when you compare the quantifiable features, you'll always find the $500 offers 80% features in half the price. And if you compare $500 DAP to $2000 DAP, the result is almost 100% predictable from cost-benefit analysis.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 13, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #696 of 1,852
In a few words.
I compared the RS6 with C9 and N7 wlth C9 and Aroma 100tb today. I mainly used my VE EXT. Will do another comparison with the Noir later.
The RS6 always has this kind of specific atmosphere, which I like. But it cannot reach the 3D image of the N7. The overall presentation with the C9 was nice, but not clear, less separated and less defined compared to the N7 with the C9. This pairing was really great. More space, more open treble sparkle (but not harsh) and more separated. It definitely sounded more close to the N8ii. It creates not the same atmosphere like the RS6, but the overall presentation was more authentic and powerful. With a great and deep bass.
And then I paired the N7 with the Aroma 100tb and I must say, that I really like this pairing. With the C9, I have always the impression that the C9 changes the sound signature of the DAP. The Aroma just adds more dynamics while keeping the N7s sound signature. This leads to a deep and powerful bass. Really smooth midrange and a well controlled open treble without harshness.
Thank you Tom, nice to read that the DAC really does sound different and it’s not just the amp flavor that we can ear. RS6 with it’s R2R seems a relatively different sound signature thant N7 with it’s 1bit. The N7 DAC seems to be more refined sounding overall then the R2R in RS6 if I read your feedback correctly.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #698 of 1,852
Definitely can imagine a wider soundstage on a 1-bit DAP, but wasn't expecting a more sparkly treble on the N7 - a few comments mentioned it had a softer treble compared to premium DAP's
That’s right and only meant in direct comparison between RS6 and N7 with the amps. The sound signature between those two is so different. …
Compared with the N8ii, the N7 treble is much softer.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #701 of 1,852
Mar 14, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #703 of 1,852
Accidental splash of coffee / tea etc.
My $2,000 smartphone has a waterproof rating!
Fair enough, but oneplus avoided getting a waterproof rating as it added at least a $100 to price and phones now only have a single usb port. When you consider this DAP has 6 connective ports and a volume knob, do you really want to pay that much more? I'm sure most DAP manufacturers already account for a bit of water resistance (spash resistance) but not full blown dropping it into a pool of water. Maybe if you accounted for the dust plugs and used something similar on the usb-c, I2S ports and had your DAP in a case, used a screen protector on - would improve the odds of being a bit more secure. It's very similar to most audio tech, you wouldn't see anyone take their in ear monitors or headphones and drop that in a pool of water to check resistance either :sweat_smile:. Audio tech is for better or worse, very delicate.

But wouldn't mind someone offering to do what JerryRigEverything does with smartphones to these units. We can all marvel at the bravery of whoever takes up that mantle. I wouldn't stop there I want someone to do an endurance test on the new DCS Lina stack. It would be entertaining to see someone do a complete teardown and try to put it back together. Maybe even swing a hammer at that thing.

Please don't ban me from the audio community for these intrusive thoughts. :robot:

Mar 14, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #705 of 1,852
Perhaps a somewhat 'apples to oranges' comparison, but does anyone have any thoughts on how the N7 compares to the Shanling H7?

Thanks!
I owned both for a brief overlap period. The H7 is very good albeit difficult to navigate due to their poor Eddict Player implementation (at least early on). The N7 is better in every way (exept price of course). More organic, full music player functionality, easy to use and update. Absolutely worth the price difference (IMHO).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back