Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Mar 11, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #676 of 1,852
Mar 11, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #677 of 1,852
Mar 11, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #679 of 1,852
Could you compare the differences between N7 and RS6 as transport to C9? What is do you like better on each?
Yesss pleaaaaaase. I use a Woo WA8 but a comparo as transport to C9 will be great info. Too bad there is not more info on these new high end DAP used to feed an external amp, this way we could know how the DAC really sounds in there.

Mar 11, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #682 of 1,852
That volume cap stuff is a real issue with Sony.
With that said - the mid range DAP market is getting nicer looking DAP's than even flagships. The ZX707 looks nice (especially the gold trim connectors on both sides).
The new Hiby R6 Pro (Gen 2) also looks really good - especially in Purple. :sweat_smile:

The N7 also has a really nice looking finish on the back.

Mar 12, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #684 of 1,852
Any one did a comparison with N7 vs P6P/LP6?

Mar 12, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #685 of 1,852
Any one did a comparison with N7 vs P6P/LP6?
I own a P6Pro and listened to the N7 at CanJamNYC for about 15-20 min with my U12t. I can't go into depth given my minimal time, but I found the N7 to sound warm in comparison to the P6Pro. The two DAPs share a smoothness but the N7 isn't as resolving. I wish I had brought more IEMs with me to test since perhaps it was a pairing thing, but I don't have much issue pairing the P6Pro with anything.

Mar 12, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #686 of 1,852
Yesss pleaaaaaase. I use a Woo WA8 but a comparo as transport to C9 will be great info. Too bad there is not more info on these new high end DAP used to feed an external amp, this way we could know how the DAC really sounds in there.
In a few words.
I compared the RS6 with C9 and N7 wlth C9 and Aroma 100tb today. I mainly used my VE EXT. Will do another comparison with the Noir later.
The RS6 always has this kind of specific atmosphere, which I like. But it cannot reach the 3D image of the N7. The overall presentation with the C9 was nice, but not clear, less separated and less defined compared to the N7 with the C9. This pairing was really great. More space, more open treble sparkle (but not harsh) and more separated. It definitely sounded more close to the N8ii. It creates not the same atmosphere like the RS6, but the overall presentation was more authentic and powerful. With a great and deep bass.
And then I paired the N7 with the Aroma 100tb and I must say, that I really like this pairing. With the C9, I have always the impression that the C9 changes the sound signature of the DAP. The Aroma just adds more dynamics while keeping the N7s sound signature. This leads to a deep and powerful bass. Really smooth midrange and a well controlled open treble without harshness.

Mar 12, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #687 of 1,852
In a few words.
I compared the RS6 with C9 and N7 wlth C9 and Aroma 100tb today. I mainly used my VE EXT. Will do another comparison with the Noir later.
The RS6 always has this kind of specific atmosphere, which I like. But it cannot reach the 3D image of the N7. The overall presentation with the C9 was nice, but not clear, less separated and less defined compared to the N7 with the C9. This pairing was really great. More space, more open treble sparkle (but not harsh) and more separated. It definitely sounded more close to the N8ii. It creates not the same atmosphere like the RS6, but the overall presentation was more authentic and powerful. With a great and deep bass.
And then I paired the N7 with the Aroma 100tb and I must say, that I really like this pairing. With the C9, I have always the impression that the C9 changes the sound signature of the DAP. The Aroma just adds more dynamics while keeping the N7s sound signature. This leads to a deep and powerful bass. Really smooth midrange and a well controlled open treble without harshness.

Nice to hear this. I got the A100tb. Looking to upgrade my DAP now

Mar 12, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #688 of 1,852
In a few words.
Have you tried c9's preout?

Mar 12, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #689 of 1,852
In a few words.
Thanks for the comparision and sharing your experience! Definitely can imagine a wider soundstage on a 1-bit DAP, but wasn't expecting a more sparkly treble on the N7 - a few comments mentioned it had a softer treble compared to premium DAP's. But that could just be pitching it against brighter signature equipment, rather than against reference tuning. Will be interesting to see how the new Hiby R6 Pro II (launching end of March) compares to the N7. It's difficult to choose one DAP in this climate to leave with, reviews and comparisions like this one do really help with that. Just want to get a general idea of the performance gain though once available to market and more reviews are out, price is definitely a consideration. The N7 is £1899 and the C9 is £1499 (stack to £3398, the N8ii is £2799. Whereas the budget option the Hiby R6 Pro 2 (R6P2) is expected under £900, chucking in the AK PA10 (£549) as an amp to stack nets at roughly £1450 (under my £1500 extended budget). If the gap between the R6P2 and N7 is less than 20% and with the Class A Amp thrown is reduced to around 10% would definitely be worthwhile. Otherwise might have to wait a few months for N7 prices to fall, if gap too big. The ZX707 (£650) is said to be 80% performance of the NW1AM2 (£1380), which I've based my unscientific calculations on. I've got too much time on my hands and probably put too much thought into this :sweat_smile: , but this is what the calculation looked like:

1678666676488.png

Mar 12, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #690 of 1,852
Thanks for the comparision and sharing your experience! Definitely can imagine a wider soundstage on a 1-bit DAP, but wasn't expecting a more sparkly treble on the N7 - a few comments mentioned it had a softer treble compared to premium DAP's. But that could just be pitching it against brighter signature equipment, rather than against reference tuning. Will be interesting to see how the new Hiby R6 Pro II (launching end of March) compares to the N7. It's difficult to choose one DAP in this climate to leave with, reviews and comparisions like this one do really help with that. Just want to get a general idea of the performance gain though once available to market and more reviews are out, price is definitely a consideration. The N7 is £1899 and the C9 is £1499 (stack to £3398, the N8ii is £2799. Whereas the budget option the Hiby R6 Pro 2 (R6P2) is expected under £900, chucking in the AK PA10 (£549) as an amp to stack nets at roughly £1450 (under my £1500 extended budget). If the gap between the R6P2 and N7 is less than 20% and with the Class A Amp thrown is reduced to around 10% would definitely be worthwhile. Otherwise might have to wait a few months for N7 prices to fall, if gap too big. The ZX707 (£650) is said to be 80% performance of the NW1AM2 (£1380), which I've based my unscientific calculations on. I've got too much time on my hands and probably put too much thought into this :sweat_smile: , but this is what the calculation looked like:

1678666676488.png

This is a very interesting calculation, did you borrow this methodology from a cost-benefit analysis of project evaluation or a similar scenario? This sure looks like something I did when I taught a System Analysis and Design course a long time ago.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back