Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
May 25, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #1,186 of 1,852
Anyone using Apple Music on N7?
App is crashing after latest Apple Music app update latest after starting playback, mostly even after starting just the app only 🙄
Unfortunately no other DAP with me right now to check if it's happening elsewhere too

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #1,188 of 1,852
Can n7 compete with a desktop dac?
Or as good as it is in the end it's just a portable player?

It is just a portable player. It can't compete with $2k desktop DAC.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 25, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #1,189 of 1,852
Anyone using Apple Music on N7?
App is crashing after latest Apple Music app update latest after starting playback, mostly even after starting just the app only 🙄
Unfortunately no other DAP with me right now to check if it's happening elsewhere too
After the last update, Apple Music works for me without any crashes

May 25, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #1,192 of 1,852
An audiophile friend told me that he connected the n7 to a stereo system worth 500k
According to him, it was very difficult to distinguish the differences between the n7 and the prestigious dac in the system...
Sounds like an interesting experiment. Could you provide more details of what he did? In particular, what output of the N7 he ran into his system, and what the receiving stage was (pre-amplifier?).

I‘m asking this since - as a ballpark rule - the sound characteristics of a DAP are imprinted more by its amplifier stage, and less by its DAC stage. Thus, when you take the DAP true line out, its amp is bypassed, leaving the DAC and only its characteristics in the game. That ballpark rule holds for standard DAPs/DACs with off-the-shelf converter chips - I wouldn‘t know whether it also holds for devices like the N7.

Your comments are highly welcome.

May 25, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #1,193 of 1,852
Sounds like an interesting experiment. Could you provide more details of what he did? In particular, what output of the N7 he ran into his system, and what the receiving stage was (pre-amplifier?).

I‘m asking this since - as a ballpark rule - the sound characteristics of a DAP are imprinted more by its amplifier stage, and less by its DAC stage. Thus, when you take the DAP true line out, its amp is bypassed, leaving the DAC and only its characteristics in the game. That ballpark rule holds for standard DAPs/DACs with off-the-shelf converter chips - I wouldn‘t know whether it also holds for devices like the N7.

Your comments are highly welcome.
I'll be posting a review soon where I pair the N7 with various amps. Spoiler alert - it scales up nicely.

More generally, in my experience, the amp stage of any DAP is always the most critical aspect (which of course can mean a DAP is restricted by its internal amp stage).

May 25, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #1,194 of 1,852
I'll be posting a review soon where I pair the N7 with various amps. Spoiler alert - it scales up nicely.

More generally, in my experience, the amp stage of any DAP is always the most critical aspect (which of course can mean a DAP is restricted by its internal amp stage).
Looking forward to your review.
I have been switching between
- N7-to-C9 and
- N7-to-Ferrum_Oor and
- Holo_Spring3_KTE-to-Oor
… listening to my Aroma Jewel (as I am on an IEM hype train currently - my MEze Elite hasn‘t seen much listening time lately…)

Differences are noticable where I see that mixing different sources with different amps is certainly leading to different listening impressions.
I find the stock tuning on N7 very pleasant with my Aroma Jewel with a nice organic presentation which has the right balance of detail and smoothness plus a nice small bass lift making Jewels DD thump pleasantly.
Class A is mostly my prefered mode both with N7 standalone as with C9.
N7 plus C9 is making the presentation more transparent, stage is maybe a tad wider especially in tube mode and bringing a nice engaging and lush experience.
Connecting N7 to Ferrum Oor (with Pentacon to Cinch as I don‘t want to mess around with switching XLR on Oor) is interestingly bringing a very technical signature with relatively leaner mids, dryer and distinct bass and top notch instrument seperation.
Nice for analyzing music or electro but missing a bit on timbre for Vocal, Jazz etc.
Playing Jewel with Oor connected to Holo Spring3 is more coherent and warmer without missing on details.

The intersting point I want to make is that I find the tonal balance with N7 alone or connected to C9 perfect with Jewel and I don‘t feel like I am missing anything compared to the big desktop stack with Oor plus Holo Spring when listening to my Jewel

May 25, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #1,195 of 1,852
An audiophile friend told me that he connected the n7 to a stereo system worth 500k
According to him, it was very difficult to distinguish the differences between the n7 and the prestigious dac in the system...
I wish we can mske similar claim in our marketing campaign.
I can only wish :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 25, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #1,196 of 1,852

Certainly that'd be true. And if there's a downstream amp that can take care of the heavy lifting, which can provide a big power supply and abundant output devices, then N7's limitations as just a portable source is mitigated somewhat.

And I've been vocal before here too about the quality of N7's discrete small-signal stage that I find responsible for so much of its sound quality. As just a line source, it's brilliant. Which makes me wonder what Cayin might achieve with similar technology in desktop size...

I've just been back from Munich. And I heard some of the most phenomenal sound from a "portable" amplifier that shall as yet go unnamed, with N7 acting as both DAC and pre-amp (with N7's volume control enabled)...

We hope to share more regarding that last bit soon.

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #1,197 of 1,852
There‘s always something „better“, e.g. Brise Audio Tsuranagi :)
Question imho from a use case perspective is if a relatively affordable C9 is better longterm value with changeable batteries plus different tunings with Class A/AB and Nutube/SS

I will stick to that for now

May 25, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #1,198 of 1,852
I wish we can mske similar claim in our marketing campaign.
I can only wish :beerchug:
I said it before Andy, maybe you guys are going to listen to my wish! Hahaha. Take the N7 DAC section to make a dedicated small desktop or ever better transportable form factor DAC. With the upgraded parts the bigger form factor will provide versus N7 (or RU7), you will have another ultimate winner to market and we will have another option to get the great Cayin sound.

May 25, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #1,199 of 1,852
There‘s always something „better“, e.g. Brise Audio Tsuranagi :)
Question imho from a use case perspective is if a relatively affordable C9 is better longterm value with changeable batteries plus different tunings with Class A/AB and Nutube/SS

I will stick to that for now
I’ll report to you, when the Tsuranagi arrived. :)

May 26, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #1,200 of 1,852
A new shiny IEM just came in - awesome combo both stock and through C9.
As @MatW used to say: dark chocolate taste - yummy

Attachments

• IMG_3234.jpeg
    IMG_3234.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back