Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Mar 1, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #481 of 1,852
1)Is there any benefits in feeding N7 16/44 vs 27/192 (or for that matter, anything higher?)
2)Has anyone tried the Neutron app on N7?

Yes, definitely. upsampling is an algorithm to deduct "missing" information to fill up the gaps, so the more information you provided as input, the algorithm can make a better deduction and fill up the gaps more effectively.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 1, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #482 of 1,852
@Andykong, niche request for next N7 revision – native DSD1024 playback, pretty please 🤭🤭🤭

Until then, incoming N7! :beyersmile:

Unlikely, we stop at DSD512 because of the market availability and the processing power of FPGA. We can cover DSD1024 if we cut corners in the DSP pre-processing. So what will be your choice? higher performance up to DSD512? or downgraded performance to extend the coverage to DSD1024?

Mar 1, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #483 of 1,852
Is it normal that I get pops when i pause/unpause or skip a track on an ISO file? I also see the Korg tubes flicker when theres a pop

I haven't tried SACD-ISO on N7. Have you tried different ISO files? Does the pop sound appear in every ISO file? or only appeared in some ISO files? The flicker is a normal response when you have an impulsive signal, be reminded that the LED on Nutube is equivalent to the filament of a glass vacuum tube.

Mar 1, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #484 of 1,852
Will class A and class AB affect the line out or pre out of n7? Or is the amplified mode only valid for the headphone output?
Only for headphone out. LO will bypass the amp.

Nostoi, thank you.

Yes, Class A and Class AB is amplification mode, as the name suggested, you'll bypass this part of the circuitry when you use Line Out or Pre Out in N7.

We can track that out from the functional diagram of N7 (at opening post). I have highlighted the corresponding section for your reference, the Red lined are responsible for Line Out and Pre-Out, the amplification mode is the yellow boxes down below.

1677677860007.png

Mar 1, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #485 of 1,852
I haven't tried SACD-ISO on N7. Have you tried different ISO files? Does the pop sound appear in every ISO file? or only appeared in some ISO files? The flicker is a normal response when you have an impulsive signal, be reminded that the LED on Nutube is equivalent to the filament of a glass vacuum tube.
It is on all ISO files i tried, some have harder pops than others but for now, all i have tried have it. I will try some more ISO files tonight... Not skipping a number (because of poppage) gives it a "listening to vinyl" vibe though, which is cool... As for the flickering C9, thanks for explaining, makes sense.

Mar 1, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #486 of 1,852
i couldn’t resist it and ordered a few days ago. should arrive tomorrow. i am very excited. i hope it will be a good upgrade after a bit dated n6ii r01 (even though i got it new last year)

one problem (for me) though; i am quite new to this world and with n6ii i am mostly streaming (qobuz). i don’t have really tons of hi-rez files as much as i would like. and the ones i have are generally aiff files 16/44.1. however, to unleash the full potential of the new n7, i kind of feel i should look into music that is recorded in dsd512 format to avoid noise/jitter creation during conversions.
i recently read an article that claims so.
here’s the article https://www.mojo-audio.com/blog/dsd-vs-pcm-myth-vs-truth/

where would you guys recommend i should look into for finding such files ? any online stores ? any dsd streaming ?

if i were to play dsd1024 on n7, would it be able to play it as is or compress it to 512 ?

Theoretically, yes, you are correct. However, I am a bit concerned here since the availability is very low. DAP is a tool to appreciate and enjoy music, so we must balance your music preference with audio performance. If you really like N7 and decided to keep it for the long term, you can build up your DSD library. Any high-quality music in DSD format, even DSD64, are very good music source for N7.

N7 does not support DSD1024, so it won't be able to playback files encoded in DSD1024. If we can play DSD1024 by compresses it to DSD512, we'll describe N7 as "support DSD1024 but decode up to DSD512 only"

Last edited:

Mar 1, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #487 of 1,852
It is on all ISO files i tried, some have harder pops than others but for now, all i have tried have it. I will try some more ISO files tonight... Not skipping a number (because of poppage) gives it a "listening to vinyl" vibe though, which is cool... As for the flickering C9, thanks for explaining, makes sense.

Thanks for your update, I'll ask our service engineer to check SACD-ISO with N7 specifically. :beerchug:

Mar 1, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #488 of 1,852
Unlikely, we stop at DSD512 because of the market availability and the processing power of FPGA. We can cover DSD1024 if we cut corners in the DSP pre-processing. So what will be your choice? higher performance up to DSD512? or downgraded performance to extend the coverage to DSD1024?

Always the highest performance up to DSD512 :thumbsup:🤭

Thank you and always appreciate your replies mon ami.

Mar 1, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #490 of 1,852
Curious to hear how silent the background is on N7? - the LPGT has me spoiled in this regard, and my recent DX320X doesn’t quite cut it in comparison.

It’s pretty dark but it’s not completely silent imo. Using UM Mentor which is my most sensitive IEM, but not to the levels of some Campfire IEMs or VE Phonix, I can hear a slight “cassette reel” type background noise in between tracks or during VERY quiet passages. It’s definitely what I’d consider acceptable though and it’s not even close to noticeable during normal volumes. I have definitely been spoiled by the background of SP3000 though.

Mar 1, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #491 of 1,852
Theoretically, yes, you are correct. However, I am a bit concerned here since the availability is very low. DAP is a tool to appreciate and enjoy music, so we must balance your music preference with audio performance. If you really like N7 and decided to keep it for the long term, you can build up your DSD library. Any high-quality music in DSD format, even DSD64, are very good music source for N7.
kind of feels a bit limiting. haven’t yet listened to mine which just arrived. the feeling i could always do more with the n8ii is somewhat haunting. perhaps i haven’t truly understand the difference b/w n7 and n8 other than n8 (from the listeners perspective) encompasses n7.

when i was purchasing my first DAP, i particularly chose n6ii R01 over the n8 as i had read reviews of the n6 being more natural sounding of the two, and i also find the tubes a bit too soft/warm for me. but today we’re talking about the encoding / decoding / formats / noise / jitter as variables and also limitations.

i don’t know how much more complex listening to highest quality audio can get…

Mar 1, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #492 of 1,852
Thanks for your update, I'll ask our service engineer to check SACD-ISO with N7 specifically. :beerchug:
The SACD-ISO I downloaded play excellent on my N7. But first let me say THANK YOU to Cayin for offering this player at the price point they did. This player is a giant killer.
It pulls out so much more detail with clarity and layering even well above my wonderful N8ii and my N6ii-RO1 though lovely and smooth doesn't hold a match to the N7. And it's still breaking-in! Finally I can hear how really good the HIFIMAN Shangri-la Jr really is. After more hours I will share more impressions. Just grab one if you can.
Even mp3 downloads I have sound so much better with much more details and well DSD files are just glorious

Mar 1, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #493 of 1,852
kind of feels a bit limiting. haven’t yet listened to mine which just arrived. the feeling i could always do more with the n8ii is somewhat haunting. perhaps i haven’t truly understand the difference b/w n7 and n8 other than n8 (from the listeners perspective) encompasses n7.

when i was purchasing my first DAP, i particularly chose n6ii R01 over the n8 as i had read reviews of the n6 being more natural sounding of the two, and i also find the tubes a bit too soft/warm for me. but today we’re talking about the encoding / decoding / formats / noise / jitter as variables and also limitations.

i don’t know how much more complex listening to highest quality audio can get…

if you are determined, you can give this a try. Download the starter pack from nativeDSD, find one track that you really like, buy the DSD512 version from nativeDSD, and then AB compares the two files with N7.

Mar 1, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #494 of 1,852
The SACD-ISO I downloaded play excellent on my N7. But first let me say THANK YOU to Cayin for offering this player at the price point they did. This player is a giant killer.
It pulls out so much more detail with clarity and layering even well above my wonderful N8ii and my N6ii-RO1 though lovely and smooth doesn't hold a match to the N7. And it's still breaking-in! Finally I can hear how really good the HIFIMAN Shangri-la Jr really is. After more hours I will share more impressions. Just grab one if you can.
Even mp3 downloads I have sound so much better with much more details and well DSD files are just glorious

Yeah, this N7 extracts a ton of detail. It takes a little getting used to at first, thankfully it sounds very natural to me rather than forced type detail.

I’m only about 20 hours of pure listening. I do not want to do forced burn in with this DAP as I like how it sounds as is, I want to experience any changes first hand.

Mar 1, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #495 of 1,852
i’ve been looking for Binaural but they’re nowhere to be seen. Perhaps they don’t carry the label anymore.

For the EQing on N7, which one would you guys recommend UAPP or is there another one that sounds better ?

EDIT: Binaural has been found. Apologies for my ignorance. I’m only a newbie in the end 🤷🏻‍♂️
Here it is, I found Binaural!
PearlJam-Binaural.jpg

i’ve been looking for Binaural but they’re nowhere to be seen. Perhaps they don’t carry the label anymore.

For the EQing on N7, which one would you guys recommend UAPP or is there another one that sounds better ?

EDIT: Binaural has been found. Apologies for my ignorance. I’m only a newbie in the end 🤷🏻‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back