Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
Mar 1, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #496 of 1,852
It’s pretty dark but it’s not completely silent imo. Using UM Mentor which is my most sensitive IEM, but not to the levels of some Campfire IEMs or VE Phonix, I can hear a slight “cassette reel” type background noise in between tracks or during VERY quiet passages. It’s definitely what I’d consider acceptable though and it’s not even close to noticeable during normal volumes. I have definitely been spoiled by the background of SP3000 though.
Sound bad to me 🤔🥺

For example, my Aune M1s is dead quiet with the Andromeda (alone with ... My old Dx90 heavily modded). Same with the Zeus Xra (more sensitive!!!) or se846...

I like only pitch black daps. If it's not the case ... Out. 😴

I am pretty... picky with that particular thing. I hate (fainted) noise(s)...

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #497 of 1,852
Sound bad to me 🤔🥺

For example, my Aune M1s is dead quiet with the Andromeda (alone with ... My old Dx90 heavily modded). Same with the Zeus Xra (more sensitive!!!) or se846...

I like only pitch black daps. If it's not the case ... Out. 😴

I am pretty... picky with that particular thing. I hate (fainted) noise...

Sure, I understand. My lightning to 3.5mm dongle is also pitch black with my IEMs but it has zero ability to portray dynamics. At the end of the day there’s a ton of options out there at different price points, if N7 doesn’t sound like it’s for you then it seems your Aune M1s or DX90 are doing the job just fine :)

Mar 1, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #498 of 1,852
Just curious, you wanted R2R DAP because of its natural sound characteristics or just to have something different, like a discrete dac? Because N7 with its 1bit DSD dac gives you both, natural tonality and unique discrete dac design. As a mentioned in my first look mini-review, there are quite a few similarities in sound between N7 and N6ii w/R01 card, except for the treble being more organic in N7. Plus, you get so much more on top of N6ii/R01 with N7 having fast/later SoC and Android OS, dedicated LO and Pre-amp outputs, oversampling of PCM to DSD512, and switchable Class A and Class AB.
I wanted to get an R2R DAP but I’ll probably end up buying the N7 regardless and still wait for an R2R in the future. I have quite a few TOTL DAP’s already and this one sounds amazing. I just don’t want a step down from my N8ii. How does it compare to say an Astell & Kern SP2000 or SP2000t?

Mar 1, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #500 of 1,852
I wanted to get an R2R DAP but I’ll probably end up buying the N7 regardless and still wait for an R2R in the future. I have quite a few TOTL DAP’s already and this one sounds amazing. I just don’t want a step down from my N8ii. How does it compare to say an Astell & Kern SP2000 or SP2000t?
N7 is NOT a step down from N8ii, rather a step up in details extension sound stage and that analog sound typically associated with R2R DAPs p/s I also have the wonderful Cayin N6ii-RO1 a really nice R2R, the Cayin N7 is way better in that natural analog sound by not compromising top end extension. I think the tube circuit and power needs made the N8ii more costly in terms of parts, but the N7 proprietary discrete components DAC was costlier to develop but gives you more than the best of both worlds.
My 2 cents🙂

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #501 of 1,852
Sure, I understand. My lightning to 3.5mm dongle is also pitch black with my IEMs but it has zero ability to portray dynamics. At the end of the day there’s a ton of options out there at different price points, if N7 doesn’t sound like it’s for you then it seems your Aune M1s or DX90 are doing the job just fine :)
Full scale dynamics are not a option for me too 😉

But a pitch black black ground : it's a requisite.

About my aune, it's a pity that I don't have a 4.4mm input jack on.

And the Dx90, it's only an unbalanced 3.5mm input jack...

Ideally, I'm looking for a dap in 2.5 and 4.4... perfectly silent.

Therefore a non-negotiable point.

My m1s (which is my main dap) still works perfectly after 5 years of loyal service. But it is not eternal. A real sword of Damocles...

Maybe the m1p to consider... 🤔

My Dx90 heavily modded is my "madeleine de Proust", with my beloved FitEar a111 : still a marvellous (musical) couple... Years after years too... 🥰😎

Mar 1, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #502 of 1,852
Right out of box N7 sounds great. Bass's well articulated and tightly defined going plenty low. A+ for bass. Imaging wise I could not ask for more details than what I am getting but as for treble it's kinda missing sparkle, not highly extended. It's rather strange when I have this much uncolored details. I feel while N7 may not be for extreme treble-heads, it could tolerate any high frequencies with ease. I wish I still have the Odin to try out on this device. Except the fact that phone jack's located at the bottom (not on top), I like the device. So far N7 is a good match for Jewel in achieving pure organic (not digitalized) sound signature but will see how this transforms with more play times.

Mar 1, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #503 of 1,852
Right out of box N7 sounds great. Bass's well articulated and tightly defined going plenty low. A+ for bass. Imaging wise I could not ask for more details than what I am getting but as for treble it's kinda missing sparkle, not highly extended. It's rather strange when I have this much uncolored details. I feel while N7 may not be for extreme treble-heads, it could tolerate any high frequencies with ease. I wish I still have the Odin to try out on this device. Except the fact that phone jack's located at the bottom (not on top), I like the device. So far N7 is a good match for Jewel in achieving pure organic (not digitalized) sound signature but will see how this transforms with more play times.

Do share what you hear as time passes!

Mar 1, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #505 of 1,852
N7 is NOT a step down from N8ii, rather a step up in details extension sound stage and that analog sound typically associated with R2R DAPs p/s I also have the wonderful Cayin N6ii-RO1 a really nice R2R, the Cayin N7 is way better in that natural analog sound by not compromising top end extension. I think the tube circuit and power needs made the N8ii more costly in terms of parts, but the N7 proprietary discrete components DAC was costlier to develop but gives you more than the best of both worlds.
My 2 cents🙂
So why has Cayin said the N8ii is still the flagship? Could it be price instead of sound quality? I’m going to have to get my hands on an N7 and a HIBY RS8 and see which I end up with… hopefully not both 🤦🏼‍♂️

Mar 1, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #506 of 1,852
I find such statements about being better too much black white in that high end tier.
IMHO there are better or worse synergies with gear and music and taste

Mar 1, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #507 of 1,852
So far my ideal parings:

UM Multiverse Mentor - Class A
FatFreq Maestro SE - Class A or AB, I choose A for a more vocal focused song, AB for something more lively... mainly something heavier on synths
FiR XE6 - undecided just yet, but most likely Class A for this too as I like the extra mid range presence

Mar 2, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #508 of 1,852
Sound interesting, anyway...

I know this technology on a high end Marantz dac. Admittedly, this story of slight background noise (with certain sensitive intras) bothers me, but.... I'm curious...🤔😀

Mar 2, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #509 of 1,852
Sound interesting, anyway...

I know this technology on a high end Marantz dac. Admittedly, this story of slight background noise (with certain sensitive intras) bothers me, but.... I'm curious...🤔😀

My understanding was that the AK 3000 was supposed to be amazingly pitch black silence

Mar 2, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #510 of 1,852
My understanding was that the AK 3000 was supposed to be amazingly pitch black silence
I hope so, because it wasn't the case with both the Ak1000 and 2000 with the Andromeda's on, for example 🥺

Faint hissing 😭

Users who are viewing this thread

Back