Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Nov 8, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #7,501 of 8,192
It's interesting how high the stand by power consumption Is compared to line out function.

(Or how low line out is compared to doing nothing)

From circuitry point of view, the line out will involve the DAC, LPF and maybe a line driver Op-Amp in Audio Motherboard, digital output basically bypass the Audio Motherboard completely, you can literally remove the Audio Motherboard and use the N6ii as digital Transport.

The Balanced line out of A01 and T01 are shared with phone output, the line out duration of these Audio Motherboards will be very similar to their phone out duration.

I can try the EO2 balanced line out for 1 day later.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 8, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #7,502 of 8,192
Nov 8, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #7,503 of 8,192

Nov 8, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #7,505 of 8,192
@Andykong what is the average turnaround time for a repair if you know by any chance ? My N6ii Ti has been gone for 2 months 😱
Oh wow... Mine is just being sent to Cayin today.... 😱

Nov 8, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #7,506 of 8,192
@Andykong what is the average turnaround time for a repair if you know by any chance ? My N6ii Ti has been gone for 2 months 😱

If repair time means the time it arrive our factory to the time we completed the repair and send back to the dealer, the average turnaround time is 7 days. The biggest delays are the problem diagnosis. If we don't know what exactly need to be repair, it will take longer.

The biggest uncertainty is to confirm with your dealer that your DAP has arrived at Cayin factory already. Since most dealer will not include customer information in their service request, we can't keep track of incoming items to customer level, we can only keep track of return batch from different dealer, and the return batch number is independent form machine serial number because there can be 1 or more machines involved in each return batch.

Last edited:

Nov 8, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #7,507 of 8,192
If repair time means the time it arrive our factory to the time we completed the repair and send back to the dealer, the average turnaround time is 7 days. The biggest delays are the problem diagnosis. If we don't know what exactly need to be repair, it will take longer.

The biggest uncertainty is to confirm with your dealer that your DAP has arrived at Cayin factory already. Since most dealer will not include customer information in their service request, we can't keep track of incoming items to customer level, we can only keep track of return batch from different dealer, and the return batch number is independent form machine serial number because there can be 1 or more machines involved in each return batch.

thanks, probably not too much longer then.

Nov 8, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #7,508 of 8,192
Instruction related to Pre-amp input mode in C9 user guilde:

Using PRE-amp input Mode

When C9 operates in PRE-amp input mode, it is basically functioning as a power amplifier with volume control disable (set to 0dB attenuation) and all amplification circuit operate in full capacity. Since C9 is a very powerful headphone amplifier, so we must take appropriate precaution to make sure the PRE-amp input mode will not be activated “accidentally” or before the user has prepared his system properly.

The following 2-steps secure procedure will switch the C9 headphone amplifier form LINE input mode to PRE-amp input mode:
  • Turn down the volume control of C9, set the input MODE switch to PRE
  • Connect your PRE-amp music source to one of the input connector, we recommend you to turn down the volume of your source equipment at this point.
  • Connect your earphone or headphone to one of the output connector
  • PRESS and HOLD the Pre-amp Input Activator for 3 seconds.
  • You’ll hear a click sound when the switching kicks in, and the Pre input indicator will light up
  • The C9 is now operated in PRE-amp input mode. You can turn up the volume at the pre-amp music source (the volume control of C9 is disabled).
  • When input and/or output devices is disconnected, or when C9 is restarted, the amplifier will “deactivate” PRE-amp input mode and switch back to LINE input mode automatically despite the setting of input MODE switch, that’s why we remind you to turn down the volume of C9 before you use PRE-amp input mode.
  • When you change your music source or headphone, you need to activate PRE-amp input mode again by repeating step (4)
WARNING:

The PRE-amp input mode is designed to work with audio source device with Pre-amp output, or in technical terms, a variable voltage output with a user-controllable volume. You MUST NOT connect the Line Out of DAP, DAC or whatever source equipment without a Pre-amp output to C9 in PRE-amp input mode.

Thanks for that !

Nov 8, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #7,509 of 8,192
I’ve ordered the r01 today. I now happily have every amp card file the N6ii

Nov 9, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #7,510 of 8,192
That's roughly 15% battery drain per day on standby which is in line with @Taz777 numbers. I guess most mobile phone will drain more then 10% battery on standby per day, so the figure is not particularly alarming, but I'll test my N6ii for 2 days standby when I finish my current task with N6ii.

I just tested the N6ii in coaxial output for 25 hours non-stop, battery drain from 90% to 41%, with WiFi on. I'll turn off the WiFi and test it again for another day, looks like the N6ii digital output can last for 50 hours non-stop, so if someone plan to use it as digital transport at home, you probably consume 1 charge cycle per weeks only, and the regular 500 charge cycle will give ... roughly 9 ~ 10 years?

1636358261589.png

Hi to all, loving my N6ii so far, enjoying the E02 and R01 modules.
I am also using it as a transport connected via usb-c to a spdif input of my pre-amp (with Cayin specific cable).
It works great with local music files (mostly flac ones) but I get an awful sound with Spotify this way (sound is great through headphones outputs).
Is there any specific setting to pay attention to in order to get the sound right?
Thanks in advance!

Nov 10, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #7,511 of 8,192
Hi to all, loving my N6ii so far, enjoying the E02 and R01 modules.
I am also using it as a transport connected via usb-c to a spdif input of my pre-amp (with Cayin specific cable).
It works great with local music files (mostly flac ones) but I get an awful sound with Spotify this way (sound is great through headphones outputs).
Is there any specific setting to pay attention to in order to get the sound right?
Thanks in advance!

I prefer the coaxial output more than the USB output from N6ii, even when the USB Audio output offers higher bandwidth.

The SPDIF output from N6ii is a plug and play setup, unlike USB Audio output, you don't need to tweak the output setting. I can test the Spotify output to S/PDIF later just in case.

Nov 10, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #7,512 of 8,192
That's roughly 15% battery drain per day on standby which is in line with @Taz777 numbers. I guess most mobile phone will drain more then 10% battery on standby per day, so the figure is not particularly alarming, but I'll test my N6ii for 2 days standby when I finish my current task with N6ii.

I just tested the N6ii in coaxial output for 25 hours non-stop, battery drain from 90% to 41%, with WiFi on. I'll turn off the WiFi and test it again for another day, looks like the N6ii digital output can last for 50 hours non-stop, so if someone plan to use it as digital transport at home, you probably consume 1 charge cycle per weeks only, and the regular 500 charge cycle will give ... roughly 9 ~ 10 years?

1636358261589.png
I have completed the second part of digital transport battery duration test. The battery runs from 41% to 5% after 24 hours of continuous playback with WiFi and Bluetooth turned off. I think this is qualify for ~50 hours per charge cycle
20211109_160706.jpg

Nov 10, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #7,513 of 8,192
It's interesting how high the stand by power consumption Is compared to line out function.

(Or how low line out is compared to doing nothing)

Line out battery test last since yesterday night.

20211110_000134.jpg

A01, 3.5mm line out to XiAudio Formula S, starting midnight.

For other readers who didn't subscribed to Meze Elite thread, I have borrowed a set of XiAudio Formular S with Powerman to pair with Meze Elite, so this is the system that I am glued to this week. The Formular S is single-ended based, so 3.5mm line input works fine, that's why I started with A01 3.5mm line out instead of E02 balanced line out.

The battery reading is 24% at 16:51, so I guess the line out will last 22 hours. Will update later today.

20211110_163207.jpg

Last edited:

Nov 10, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #7,514 of 8,192
I prefer the coaxial output more than the USB output from N6ii, even when the USB Audio output offers higher bandwidth.

The SPDIF output from N6ii is a plug and play setup, unlike USB Audio output, you don't need to tweak the output setting. I can test the Spotify output to S/PDIF later just in case.

Thanks for that 😊

It's no big deal, I can live with the N6ii not being able to play Spotify songs correctly as I have a Pioneer N-50A that suits my needs for that.

I guess it would be better to use the E02 module than the R01 one to connect the N6ii to the pre-amp.

What kind of interconnect should I use?
4.4mm to 2 RCA?
Any recommendations? 😁

Kind regards

Nov 10, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #7,515 of 8,192
Thanks for that 😊

It's no big deal, I can live with the N6ii not being able to play Spotify songs correctly as I have a Pioneer N-50A that suits my needs for that.

I guess it would be better to use the E02 module than the R01 one to connect the N6ii to the pre-amp.

What kind of interconnect should I use?
4.4mm to 2 RCA?
Any recommendations? 😁

Kind regards
yes, if you want to connect N6ii to a audio pre-amp, a high quality line out is recommended, so E02 is recommended. If your pre-amp has a balanced (XLR) input, the 4.4mm to dual XLR from iFi is recommended. If your preamp is single-ended only, you can use 4.4mm to 2xRCA interconnect, this will take the R+, L+ and GND from 4.4mm and use it as single-ended line out. I don't think you can find this cable off-the-shelf, you need to either DIY or custom build from technician or audio cable shops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back