Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Nov 3, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #7,471 of 8,192
I am also not sure if just limiting the full charge will positivly affect the battery?
As I understand it, it's maintaining the active nature of the ions that keeps the battery life healthy and its lifetime extended. Not just preventing full charge cycle top-offs. Even if it's stopped at 85%, it's stopped. And like a shark it will slowly die. Maybe once a week you need to drain the battery to 20% and back up again? idk. Maybe a battery expert will weigh in?

Nov 3, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #7,472 of 8,192
I am also not sure if just limiting the full charge will positivly affect the battery?
As I understand it, it's maintaining the active nature of the ions that keeps the battery life healthy and its lifetime extended. Not just preventing full charge cycle top-offs. Even if it's stopped at 85%, it's stopped. And like a shark it will slowly die. Maybe once a week you need to drain the battery to 20% and back up again? idk. Maybe a battery expert will weigh in?
Limiting of full charge will positively affect battery life. No doubts.
For typical li ion or polymer you just need to make sure you do not allow deep discharge. This is even more important than limiting top charge.
Typical run - 600-700 cycles preserving 80% from original capacity for quality cells in normal conditions.
If the battery is not used - do a duty charge once in a 6 months to maintain good health.
And then known thing of course - regardless of quantity of cycles, battery life is 5 years and then it is olden by itself very quickly. Unavoidable thing.
But none of above things is about desktop mode and connecting to charger 24/7. In this case, typically battery will die in a year or so(you can google it, developers that are using mobile devices for dev purposes typically reporting such issues as this is their typical scenarios of using a device) and I think it is also applicable to N6ii unless proved otherwise.

Nov 3, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #7,473 of 8,192
So, we, as owners, we are unfortunately doomed to have battery charge/discharge cycles in stationary setup and/or having battery topped at 100% in all cases anyway unless @Andykong manages/pitches to have a solution in firmware.
Spot on .. the only "real" solution is to disconnect the internal battery from any active involvement/usage for the duration of having external power available as a replacement, combined with a sensible charging / discharging regime

Nov 3, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #7,474 of 8,192
Spot on .. the only "real" solution is to disconnect the internal battery from any active involvement/usage for the duration of having external power available as a replacement, combined with a sensible charging / discharging regime
True, but you cannot do this without cracking the device and remove back glass cover with suction cup and hair dryer :)
Unlikely anybody is going to be thrilled by such a game.

Nov 3, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #7,475 of 8,192
True, but you cannot do this without cracking the device and remove back glass cover with suction cup and hair dryer :)
Yep .. that functionality has to be added by design .. Thankfully we nowadays see that way of thinking become more and more mainstream ...

Nov 4, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #7,476 of 8,192
What's next in line for R2R family for Cayin? N6ii TI tops anything in that price range or even go beyond. Hope to see some evolution for N6ii R01.
It's still small enough while having all the features I need with near perfect sound. Hope to see Cayin pushing even further!
I could see another DAP built around an R-2R DAC, but with a better processor and later Android version. Even with a bigger screen?? Not necessarily an N8 since that is a tube-based product and I can't imagine a DAP with an R-2R for the DAC, a tube powered amp section, and a big bright OLED. Stranger things have happened but it seems like a lot to ask of any mobile battery. That said, a R-2R DAP that has the physical profile and OS of a modern smartphone would be hard to resist though.

I dunno, personally I'd love to see Cayin update their desktop line, specifically the digital streamer/network audio player as well as their DAC. Just seems like one of the areas in the hobby with a lot of improvement movement, and an opportunity to create unique products at an affordable price point.

We did mentioned that R01 is only our ice-breaking attempt to R-2R, we have to continue our exploration in order to recover the R&D cost, the RU6 USB dongle is one option, and its inevitable that we'll use this technologies in DAP product as well.

For those who have followed our product long enough, you probably know our pattern already. If we decided to develop a new DAP based on the sales and feedback of R01, we need at least 18 months to complete the project definition > R&D > audio refinement > supply chain > trail production > mass production process. Given the component shortage and long delays in logistic system, the development time will extend as delays are inevitable. That's why Cayin DAPs are updated in 24 to 36 months cycle, almost double the time of some competitors. In other word, this can be a very long wait, long enough to tell you that you should wait for it. This is not an advice that we should share in public but this is closer to fact.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 4, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #7,477 of 8,192
Hi Fellas, if I wanted to try using the R01 with an external amp (in bi-amp configuration), what is the ideal volume that I should set the N6ii to?

I am not sure if I understand your question correctly because I have never come across bi-amping a pair of headphone. You want to connect R01 to the pre-amp of your home system which in term will connect to two set of power amplifier? Or you want to connect R01 to TWO sets of integrated amplifier to drive one pair of speaker.

For the record, this is bi-amping:

Active-Bi-Amping-Wiring-Setup-1024x1024.png

Nov 4, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #7,478 of 8,192
The Cayin R01 has no line out option, hence won't work with the C-9 Amplifier
You can give it a try. Set C9 to Pre-amp input mode and connect N6ii-R01 phone out directly, the volume control remains in N6ii.

Nov 4, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #7,479 of 8,192
We did mentioned that R01 is only our ice-breaking attempt to R-2R, we have to continue our exploration in order to recover the R&D cost, the RU6 USB dongle is one option, and its inevitable that we'll use this technologies in DAP product as well.

For those who have followed our product long enough, you probably know our pattern already. If we decided to develop a new DAP based on the sales and feedback of R01, we need at least 18 months to complete the project definition > R&D > audio refinement > supply chain > trail production > mass production process. Given the component shortage and long delays in logistic system, the development time will extend as delays are inevitable. That's why Cayin DAPs are updated in 24 to 36 months cycle, almost double the time of some competitors. In other word, this can be a very long wait, long enough to tell you that you should wait for it. This is not an advice that we should share in public but this is closer to fact.
how much time has the ru6 been in production?

Nov 4, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #7,480 of 8,192
Anybody knows details on stationary setup for Cayin n6ii? Is it harmful for the device to be connected to charger 24/7?
The N6ii is designed to work as a portable DAP, so using it as a desktop replacement will always incur compromise, and it also depends on whether you are willing to compromise as well. Some desktop application are more accommodative that others and it doesn't always necessarily connect the DAP to a charger at 24/7.

For example, if you use N6ii as a digital transport to your home audio, you can use literally remove the Audio Motherboard and use the main unit only. A full charge can give you roughly 25 hours of internal local playback (internal memory and SD card) or 20 hours of offline Tidal playlist. For non-heavy duty users, that is one charge per 5-10 days.

So please design your desktop scenario wisely and perform a trial run to understand the actual playtime of your desktop scanerio, then we can discuss (or estimate) how harmful this could be to your N6ii.

Nov 4, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #7,481 of 8,192

Nov 4, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #7,482 of 8,192
To sum up - after 2 days of search I do not think any solution is available as for now. There are some solutions for rooted Android devices to limit charging at XX%, but not sure they kick in USB C power and remove battery from the game and, as well, if rooting N6ii is a good story. So, we, as owners, we are unfortunately doomed to have battery charge/discharge cycles in stationary setup and/or having battery topped at 100% in all cases anyway unless @Andykong manages/pitches to have a solution in firmware.
Yep .. that functionality has to be added by design .. Thankfully we nowadays see that way of thinking become more and more mainstream ...

HYPOTHETICALLY, I can see some brands try to expand their portable devices to cover desktop applications as much as possble, that's horizontal marketing. As an audio company that design and build both portable and desktop products, we have higher incentive to maintain proper product differentiation and encourage our users to consider desktop products such as iDAP-6 or iDAC-6MK2 if they need a desktop solution.

Another example: we have C9 at $1999, and HA-6A at $2499. We don't design the C9 as "high power portable amplifier that can drive any headphone" because that's the market segment for HA-6A. On the other hand, we don't design the HA-6A to be delegated enough for IEMs because that's primarily the area we reserve for C9.

The probably is not a pleasant conclusion to some of our users, but we, as a business entity, need to look at the big picture, to remain productive, and to serve majority of our customers effectively. Tring to use the N6ii as a 24/7 AC connected audio equipment is not an important consideration to us, and its unlikely that we will design our new products to include this as a new requirement.

Last edited:

Nov 4, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #7,484 of 8,192
HYPOTHETICALLY, I can see some brands try to expand their portable devices to cover desktop applications as much as possble, that's horizontal marketing. As an audio company that design and build both portable and desktop products, we have higher incentive to maintain proper product differentiation and encourage our users to consider desktop products such as iDAP-6 or iDAC-6MK2 if they need a desktop solution.

Another example: we have C9 at $1999, and HA-6A at $2499. We don't design the C9 as "high power portable amplifier that can drive any headphone" because that's the market segment for HA-6A. On the other hand, we don't design the HA-6A to be delegated enough for IEMs because that's primarily the area we reserve for C9.

The probably is not a pleasant conclusion to some of our users, but we, as a business entity, need to look at the big picture, to remain productive, and to serve majority of our customers effectively. Tring to use the N6ii as a 24/7 AC connected audio equipment is not an important consideration to us, and its unlikely that we will design our new products to include this as a new requirement.
It is a already a good sign @Andykong that you are considerate towards your customers and communicate your roadmap not to raise false expectations. Many brands lacking this.
Just leaving a note here, I am not sure if I could call this company to be your competitors, but Chord is playing in the same target market and their devices with the same price tag have this feature. All your decisions of drawing the line between portable devices and desktop are of course part of your conscious go to market strategy and the way you will be fighting for your customer.
You created a brilliant device, though mine is now searching for new owner and it has only to do with me being not well considerate initially when doing my choice.

Do good decisions, good devices, nice sales numbers and have happy customers!

Nov 4, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #7,485 of 8,192
I just want to point out and commend how awesomely honest and informative @Andykong is. Many others could learn from his example. Kudos Andy. Keep up the great work. It is much appreciated by us all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back