Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Jul 20, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #6,796 of 8,191
hi everyone, i am pretty keen on getting the N6ii ti version with the R2R chip. am considering between this and the Hiby R8 which has 2x AKM4497 chips and a more updated software/hardware.
i will primarily be streaming/offline over Tidal, and playing these thru Zeus XIV and Sony IER-Z1R
would love to hear some thoughts on which would be a better set up. thanks~
Depends what you value more-processor speed, or sound quality/signature. I owned both the Ti & R8. R8 will win in overall user experience and speed, as well as MQA decoding for Tidal.

Ti overall just sounds better to my ears, although R8 still sounds excellent. R2R is definitely special. Ti has a bit more energy and balance throughout the frequencies, meanwhile R8 is more focused on upper mids and upper treble (in turbo mode) to my ears. Ti's midbass is unique, in a 3D-like way with excellent heft, meanwhile I felt R8 accentuated BA bass timbre too much. Low-level detail for instruments goes to R8 by a low margin, although I'd consider Ti more detailed overall. Ti portrays notes a bit more effortlessly with excellent clarity, and in an addicting way. There is a bit more lower treble bite off Ti than R8, meanwhile staging is somewhat similar although I think R8 might extend a bit wider (in turbo mode). I'd give Ti the advantage on overall precise imaging. Timbre is excellent on both, but I think Ti sounds more organic meanwhile R8 has a bit more color due to upper-mids emphasis for airy vocals.

In short-can't go wrong with either.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #6,797 of 8,191
@Taz777

I retested the N6ii as a Roon endpoint and For now I can say I'm disappointed because I'm sure the Android Roon app when running on the N6ii used to do better than it currently does.

Now it looks like the Android app is resampling hi-res stuff to 44.1Khz for what they call "compatibility".

The default output is AAudio which Roon seems to think is "High Quality" rather than "Lossless"

It does work but with the current state of the Roon Android App I would say give it a miss as there are devices that play better with Roon.

Jul 20, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #6,799 of 8,191
@Taz777

I retested the N6ii as a Roon endpoint and For now I can say I'm disappointed because I'm sure the Android Roon app when running on the N6ii used to do better than it currently does.

Now it looks like the Android app is resampling hi-res stuff to 44.1Khz for what they call "compatibility".

The default output is AAudio which Roon seems to think is "High Quality" rather than "Lossless"

It does work but with the current state of the Roon Android App I would say give it a miss as there are devices that play better with Roon.
Many thanks for checking, appreciate it. I'll seek out other options.

Jul 20, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #6,800 of 8,191
Cross post from the Nick thread. Happy to join the Cayin crew and looking forward to discovering this DAP. :)

1626809207132.jpeg

Jul 20, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #6,801 of 8,191
Depends what you value more-processor speed, or sound quality/signature. I owned both the Ti & R8. R8 will win in overall user experience and speed, as well as MQA decoding for Tidal.

Ti overall just sounds better to my ears, although R8 still sounds excellent. R2R is definitely special. Ti has a bit more energy and balance throughout the frequencies, meanwhile R8 is more focused on upper mids and upper treble (in turbo mode) to my ears. Ti's midbass is unique, in a 3D-like way with excellent heft, meanwhile I felt R8 accentuated BA bass timbre too much. Low-level detail for instruments goes to R8 by a low margin, although I'd consider Ti more detailed overall. Ti portrays notes a bit more effortlessly with excellent clarity, and in an addicting way. There is a bit more lower treble bite off Ti than R8, meanwhile staging is somewhat similar although I think R8 might extend a bit wider (in turbo mode). I'd give Ti the advantage on overall precise imaging. Timbre is excellent on both, but I think Ti sounds more organic meanwhile R8 has a bit more color due to upper-mids emphasis for airy vocals.

In short-can't go wrong with either.
Thank you for the detail write up ❤️

Jul 20, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #6,803 of 8,191
Jul 20, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #6,804 of 8,191
Still available here in Asia :)
The Cayin N6ii (R01/Ti) is an incredible DAP. Yes, the UI is a bit outdated but the sound is worth it, I assure you. I have barely used my excellent A&K SP2000Cu since the R01 board arrived. It’s THAT good. Literally the easiest recommendation ever.

Jul 20, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #6,805 of 8,191
Single biggest sound upgrade I've had in recent memory. 1st one was using a separate dac instead of my phone's dac. Then it was getting the Solaris (at the time far and away the best IEM I'd ever heard) Then a great long wait of buying and selling, trading this for that improvement or regression. And then came R01.
The plan was for the Ti to be my swing DAP. To use only when the others are charging or I needed a change.
Lol, yeah, it took the mantle on the 2nd track I ever heard it produce. The pinnacle of digital audio has been and still is r-2r. Everything is new again. The music, my IEM's. I try not to gush too much due to how constrained the board and Ti are, but at some point you just gotta let it out.

Jul 20, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #6,806 of 8,191
Single biggest sound upgrade I've had in recent memory. 1st one was using a separate dac instead of my phone's dac. Then it was getting the Solaris (at the time far and away the best IEM I'd ever heard) Then a great long wait of buying and selling, trading this for that improvement or regression. And then came R01.
The plan was for the Ti to be my swing DAP. To use only when the others are charging or I needed a change.
Lol, yeah, it took the mantle on the 2nd track I ever heard it produce. The pinnacle of digital audio has been and still is r-2r. Everything is new again. The music, my IEM's. I try not to gush too much due to how constrained the board and Ti are, but at some point you just gotta let it out.
That’s exactly how I feel about the R01 too! Just so good. I also purchased it as a board to use with my secondary DAP, which is now my primary DAP, and is so good that I bought a 2nd N6ii so I could have one hooked up to my C9 with the A02 board and one permanently wedded to my R01 board.

Jul 20, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #6,807 of 8,191
hi everyone, i am pretty keen on getting the N6ii ti version with the R2R chip. am considering between this and the Hiby R8 which has 2x AKM4497 chips and a more updated software/hardware.
i will primarily be streaming/offline over Tidal, and playing these thru Zeus XIV and Sony IER-Z1R

You can try liasis
You can try liaising with this shop where I got mine. They have 1 unit left, n we are from Malaysia. Not sure how tricky to get it to your country. Good luck.

Attachments

• FDA367B5-CF1A-4A8E-A6FC-9BC70868EB93.png
    FDA367B5-CF1A-4A8E-A6FC-9BC70868EB93.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Jul 20, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #6,808 of 8,191
That’s exactly how I feel about the R01 too! Just so good. I also purchased it as a board to use with my secondary DAP, which is now my primary DAP, and is so good that I bought a 2nd N6ii so I could have one hooked up to my C9 with the A02 board and one permanently wedded to my R01 board.
Maybe it's an analogue expectation thing? As in how you 1st enjoyed music growing up? idk. Some folks rank it next to other similarly priced daps, but I think its on its own tier entirely. P6 Pro is there with it, but this can stream and exists without the litany of bugs L&P force on you.
This is exactly what the 'digital dream of the future' was supposed to sound like. All the clarity the master tape had available, reproduced with vinyl like warmth/charm, without the volatility, noise, and for the love of God, cost and space required for old school tubes and tables.
No one up to this point has been able to reproduce the late 70's early 80's gated reverbs on drums like this does. Hands to the sky, finally!
Small details culminate to a very very impressive whole.

Jul 20, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #6,809 of 8,191
Maybe it's an analogue expectation thing? As in how you 1st enjoyed music growing up? idk. Some folks rank it next to other similarly priced daps, but I think its on its own tier entirely. P6 Pro is there with it, but this can stream and exists without the litany of bugs L&P force on you.
This is exactly what the 'digital dream of the future' was supposed to sound like. All the clarity the master tape had available, reproduced with vinyl like warmth/charm, without the volatility, noise, and for the love of God, cost and space required for old school tubes and tables.
No one up to this point has been able to reproduce the late 70's early 80's gated reverbs on drums like this does. Hands to the sky, finally!
Small details culminate to a very very impressive whole.
Perfectly put!

Jul 20, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #6,810 of 8,191
Indeed, @ddHiFi N6ii case is really good and quite secure.

I just ordered the above dd case on Ali Express for $11usd including shipping to Canada. 5 week wait, but for that price- what a deal!
expected arrival Aug 29.
Already got the notification it has shipped.
I love that this case covers the entire unit- no open top- better drop protection

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back