Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Jul 16, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #6,766 of 8,196
Well, I took the plunge and got an N6ii second hand (with A01 module) and new R01 motherboard. I got my music loaded up and checked everything worked with the A01 motherboard (being a new-to-me DAP), and all was well.
cayin 2.jpg

But, after switching to the R01 board I can't get it to work. I can start play but just get no sound at all. I've tried a factory reset and a few restarts but nothing is working.
The N6ii seems to recognize that there's a new motherboard in place, as the audio settings page has changed:
cayin 3.jpg

The only thing that seems different between the R01 and A01 boards is that the A01 came out with this little black sticker on the back. The R01 shipped with same sticker. Do you need to cover those two circles with the sticker for it to work? Seems like an unlikely solution, but not sure what else could be happening:
cayin 1.jpg

I'm running firmware version N6MK2_2.3CN_20210511_1656.

Jul 16, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #6,767 of 8,196
Well, I took the plunge and got an N6ii second hand (with A01 module) and new R01 motherboard. I got my music loaded up and checked everything worked with the A01 motherboard (being a new-to-me DAP), and all was well.

But, after switching to the R01 board I can't get it to work. I can start play but just get no sound at all. I've tried a factory reset and a few restarts but nothing is working.
The N6ii seems to recognize that there's a new motherboard in place, as the audio settings page has changed:

The only thing that seems different between the R01 and A01 boards is that the A01 came out with this little black sticker on the back. The R01 shipped with same sticker. Do you need to cover those two circles with the sticker for it to work? Seems like an unlikely solution, but not sure what else could be happening:

I'm running firmware version N6MK2_2.3CN_20210511_1656.
I don't think it's seated correctly. You would see a little headphone icon in the status bar when headphones are plugged in. And in the audio settings you would see the digital filter selection too.

Try unscrewing the screws a bit. And just play around with it until you get a proper connection.

You can try the sticker too. The only purpose of it is to help it get seated properly.

Edit: I should say I had some difficulty getting the R01 seated properly as well. But after some playing with it I was able to get it right and it's pretty secure.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #6,768 of 8,196
I don't think it's seated correctly. You would see a little headphone icon in the status bar when headphones are plugged in. And in the audio settings you would see the digital filter selection too.

Try unscrewing the screws a bit. And just play around with it until you get a proper connection.

You can try the sticker too. The only purpose of it is to help it get seated properly.

Edit: I should say I had some difficulty getting the R01 seated properly as well. But after some playing with it I was able to get it right and it's pretty secure.
You were right. Tried the little sticker and reseated it and it did the trick - I knew straight away as when I started it up it was suddenly set on 100 at high gain! (lucky I noticed before hitting play). So much technology, all dependent on that little black sticker :wink:

I've also had a few random drop outs since when picking the N6ii up or putting it down, but adjusting the tightness of the screws seems to have given a stable performance - actually I needed to loosen them off, I guess I presumed the tighter the fit the better, but it seems winding them tight might pull it away from the contacts a little.

Anyway, working now. Thanks for the quick tip. Time for some burn in. Straight in the first minutes of listening there's a welcome lack of that digital glare-y treble I've heard on some other DAPs. I currently have the Plenue S, Plenue R2 and Mojo to compare it to.

Jul 16, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #6,769 of 8,196
You were right. Tried the little sticker and reseated it and it did the trick - I knew straight away as when I started it up it was suddenly set on 100 at high gain! (lucky I noticed before hitting play). So much technology, all dependent on that little black sticker :wink:

I've also had a few random drop outs since when picking the N6ii up or putting it down, but adjusting the tightness of the screws seems to have given a stable performance - actually I needed to loosen them off, I guess I presumed the tighter the fit the better, but it seems winding them tight might pull it away from the contacts a little.

Anyway, working now. Thanks for the quick tip. Time for some burn in. Straight in the first minutes of listening there's a welcome lack of that digital glare-y treble I've heard on some other DAPs. I currently have the Plenue S, Plenue R2 and Mojo to compare it to.
Welcome to the Cayin N6ii world!

Jul 16, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #6,771 of 8,196
Hi fellas, I have seen people comparing the n6ii (any board) with A&K SP2k but I have yet to see anyone comparing it to the SP1k.. it is on a different league altogether?

Attachments

• 20200702_220156.jpg
    20200702_220156.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 0
Jul 17, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #6,773 of 8,196
Jul 18, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #6,777 of 8,196
Is the A01 really that 'bad'?

I just received my N6ii today with A01 installed and also E02.. I have only listened to the A01 so far and I honestly do not feel any urge to try the other boards for the sake of sound improvement only.. YES, the N6ii(A01) is that good (note that I am coming from Cayin's own N5iiS).. from memory I have heard marginally better DAPs (SP1k, WM1Z, DMP-Z1) in certain aspects but I could happily live with the N6ii for a while..

Still curious about the R01 though TBH..

Jul 18, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #6,779 of 8,196
Is the A01 really that 'bad'?

I just received my N6ii today with A01 installed and also E02.. I have only listened to the A01 so far and I honestly do not feel any urge to try the other boards for the sake of sound improvement only.. YES, the N6ii(A01) is that good (note that I am coming from Cayin's own N5iiS).. from memory I have heard marginally better DAPs (SP1k, WM1Z, DMP-Z1) in certain aspects but I could happily live with the N6ii for a while..

Still curious about the R01 though TBH..
A01 certainly isn't bad but A02 and R01 are in different league.

Jul 18, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #6,780 of 8,196
Waiting for dap and r01 from hifigo, any case recommendations? I don't like dignis, mb someone using a crystal clear one? Is it normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back