Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Jun 26, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #6,466 of 8,202
Do you know before you open the N6ii Ti package which unique number you are getting?

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #6,467 of 8,202
Follow-up on the ”infamous noise issue“ in my N6ii/C9/Xelento combo:

Reports started here:
… and the last one had been this:

… with lots of posts in between.

I received my iFi Audio 4.4 to 4.4 TRRRS cable, in order to eliminate the stock C9 IC. Dear @Andykong and @Whitigir, guess who would receive the winner‘s prize if there had been a bet on the two possibilities mentioned before?

The really good news is: Absolutely none of the noises described anymore with the iFi 4.4 IC instead of the stock one. So happy! So lucky none of my Cayin gear needs to take a trip to China!

I do thank all of you who contributed help and advice: @Andykong, @Whitigir, @twister6, @Nostoi. Forgive me for inadvertently omitting anyone.

Now it might be a pathologist‘s task to find out why the stock C9 4.4 IC fails. Remember:
(1) I couldn‘t measure any inappropriate D.C. resistance with my multimeter (”digital“, though not a Fluke).
(2) The stock C9 IC has no grounds connection in the TRRRS, while the iFi has.
Two hypothetical possibilities exist:
(a) The stock IC developed some inappropriate very high resistance shortcut inside, causing the noises.
(b) There still might be a strange condition inside my N6ii or C9, which causes noises when there is no grounds (S pole) connection between the two. Introducing a grounds connection might mitigate such condition if it exists at all.
Myself, I tend to assume hypothesis (a). A replacement Cayin 4.4 IC is on the way, which might provide a clue at some point in time.

Now, back to music! And thanks again for all the great help, I appreciate it a lot.

Thank you very much for your update, this is very good news. I am glad that the grounded 4.4mm interconnect has solved the problem for you. But I want to remind you that when you used a grounded interconnect between C9 and your DAP, you need to pay attention to the protection mechanism of C9 protective circuit (HERE).
:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 26, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #6,468 of 8,202
Just made an enquiry as to my N6ii Ti stock situation and have been advised that although I reserved one, due to a 'misunderstanding', I will now not be getting one. Gutted to say the least. Wasn't expecting that from this well known retailer. I was sitting here patiently waiting. All have now been sold and I believe all 600 units are sold worldwide. 😳

Jun 26, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #6,469 of 8,202
Just made an enquiry as to my N6ii Ti stock situation and have been advised that although I reserved one, due to a 'misunderstanding', I will now not be getting one. Gutted to say the least. Wasn't expecting that from this well known retailer. I was sitting here patiently waiting. All have now been sold and I believe all 600 units are sold worldwide. 😳
Well most will be buying the next best thing , so wait a month and you can get that.

Jun 26, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #6,470 of 8,202
If you live in the EU or Swiss, you could get one from the German distributor. According to their website, they currently still have the Ti in stock.

Jun 26, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #6,471 of 8,202
exactly what i feared for when i was getting mine. the paranoia was strong, especially here in singapore, there are too many scalpers. one off limited edition stuff often gets snatched by those with too much money to count with too little time. so when i was advised that the units are in, i clocked out early from work just to get it. haha

Jun 26, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #6,472 of 8,202
Thank you very much for your update, this is very good news. I am glad that the grounded 4.4mm interconnect has solved the problem for you. But I want to remind you that when you used a grounded interconnect between C9 and your DAP, you need to pay attention to the protection mechanism of C9 protective circuit (HERE).
:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:
Thanks for the heads-up! Yes, already before all that, I had never been simultaneously charging and running the C9, and I had never been charging any source when connected to the C9. This includes running the N6ii as a USB-DAC off a computer. I‘m promising to myself to never do this in any future.

The only simultaneous charging and playing sometimes is with the N6ii stand-alone, e.g. during module break-in. For that I would use a ”slow charger“ (like standard Apple) instead of fast charging to keep heat generation lower.

By the way, there is one more step in the pipeline: The German importer asked Cayin Zhuhai Spark for a stock C9 4.4 IC cable to lend me. Just for a check whether it will behave similarly to the failing cable. I will report back then.

Jun 26, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #6,474 of 8,202
You got the Odin and LXSE(2021)?
Can you compare to the output of E02 or other boards?

Sorry, haven't tried E02 or E01 before, so can't comment on it.

Tried to do some comparison between A01, T01, R01, A02 and N8 though. All on 4.4, A02 to C9 AB SS. N8 on SS.

Bass control and quality
A01 << T01 < R01 < N8
Clarity A01 << T01 ~ R01 < A02
Treble R01 is sweeter than T01 (sorry don't know how to use technical terms to describe)

Think R01 and A02 will be the only 2 boards I need. R01 (or N8) for daily use, A02 stack with C9 for home use (well until the Vannuys case arrives)...

Think LX SE is a better choice for me compared to LX OG. I prefer bass with control, and maybe that s why I prefer LX SE with N8 than R01...

Hope this helps....

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #6,475 of 8,202

Tried to do some comparison between A01, T01, R01, A02 and N8 though. All on 4.4, A02 to C9 AB SS. N8 on SS.

Bass control and quality
A01 << T01 < R01 < N8
Treble R01 is sweeter than T01 (sorry don't know how to use technical terms to describe)

Think R01 and A02 will be the only 2 boards I need. R01 (or N8) for daily use, A02 stack with C9 for home use (well until the Vannuys case arrives)...

Think LX SE is a better choice for me compared to LX OG. I prefer bass with control, and maybe that s why I prefer LX SE with N8 than R01...

Hope this helps....
That's my plan, too - A02 plus C9 for home, R01 elsewhere (plus Lotoo P6K).

Between R01 and A02, which is more resolving - I.e., better detail retrival, better transparency, imaging etc?

Jun 26, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #6,477 of 8,202

Bass control and quality
A01 << T01 < R01 < N8

Hope this helps....
Yeah! T01 is such an excellent module. I think most people are overwhelmed by the technical details on paper and or the hypes. Sometimes they just forgot about the listening and the experiences itself. I majority use A02 to C9, but when I use N6ii alone as a DAP, the T01 has al my votes

Jun 26, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #6,480 of 8,202
For anyone interested, there is a like new N6ii Ti in Musicteck now.

EABD67E1-8E2F-4FB6-B132-EB6053DCD894.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back