Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Mar 2, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #5,611 of 8,198
it does have the noises for some DSD64-128 switching as well with Neutron player and A02. So I think it is more like a bugs with these 3rd party apps rather than the players itself ? I like the neutron player app on A02 combo due to better airiness and bass textures

Mar 2, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #5,612 of 8,198
The noise issue when playing a Masters track in the TIDAL app also happens via the I2S interface, thereby when the motherboard’s DAC is bypassed.

As this also happens with UAPP, it must be some generic processing issue.

Is anyone else using the TIDAL app on their N6ii? If so, could you test playing non-MQA songs and MQA songs alternately in the TIDAL app to see if you get noise at the beginning of songs? This must be a common issue.

Mar 3, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #5,613 of 8,198
When using the TIDAL app I am getting some noise during the first second or two of an MQA song. This appears to be related to switching into MQA mode - for example when the previous song was 16/44.1.

Setup is N6ii with E01 module.

This happens if your playlist contains both MQA and non-MQA songs. It only happens when switching into MQA mode.

Does anyone else experience this?

I just experienced the exact same issue. @Andykong

I did some more testing last night. Here are results.

1. Using the TIDAL app, stream a normal 16/44,1 song and then play a Masters song. You will get around a second of white noise mixed into the beginning of the Masters track.

2. Using an offline playlist in the TIDAL app, play a 16/44.1 song and then stream a Masters track. You will get a slight pause when the Masters song plays. If you watch the sample rate on the display you will see it switch to 88.2 or 96kHz and then to the 3x times unfold rate. The gap happens during this switching/upsampling of sample rate.

3. Using UAPP, the symptoms are the opposite. Play a TIDAL Masters track. It plays normally. Follow this with a regular 16/44.1 song from TIDAL and you get white noise mixed into the beginning of the 16/44.1 song for about 0.5 seconds.

I have not noticed this before, I will try a reboot later, to see if it resolves this problem.

it does have the noises for some DSD64-128 switching as well with Neutron player and A02. So I think it is more like a bugs with these 3rd party apps rather than the players itself ? I like the neutron player app on A02 combo due to better airiness and bass textures

The noise issue when playing a Masters track in the TIDAL app also happens via the I2S interface, thereby when the motherboard’s DAC is bypassed.

As this also happens with UAPP, it must be some generic processing issue.

Is anyone else using the TIDAL app on their N6ii? If so, could you test playing non-MQA songs and MQA songs alternately in the TIDAL app to see if you get noise at the beginning of songs? This must be a common issue.
I just conducted some tests wrt the "noise at PCM/MQA or vice versa switching" issue. In summary, I got the noise in a very few but not all instances, and - honestly - it was not overly distracting for me.

Setup: N6ii with E02 -> balanced into Beyerdynamic Xelento, listening at my usual 32HdB and up to 40 or more HdB
Players: Original Tidal Android App, and Tidal integrated within UAPP
Created two playlists: Each one is alternating CD and MQA quality tracks a couple of times; one playlist with streaming only, one with offlined contents only. (Admittedly, one could think of a playlist that also alternates between streaming and offlined.)

In the original Tidal App, I did get this noise when switching from 16/44.1 to MQA, actually in the offline playlist. A fraction of a second (<0.5 sec) of something that sounds like mild static, low in volume. But with the streaming playlist in the Tidal App and with both playlists in UAPP, the disturbances were hardly noticeable.

I must say that all those little clicks and mutings at track/quality switchovers are much more noticeable than that noise ("white" or "static"). I suspect that with the E02 the mutings might be long enough to cover that noise; in fact, the mutings are long enough to cover the first actual sounds at a track's beginning.

Remark 1: When trying to find out whether these noises occur in Tidal streaming or offlining, I guess one should keep in mind that a streamed track gets cached while being played for the very first time (at least that's what I think to happen), and thus it will be similar to an offlined track at replays thereafter.

Remark 2: Using Tidal within UAPP brought up a lot of weird issues, UAPP stalled and even crashed on me quite often. It seems the app doesn't like to do fast forwards and other actions with the slider bar when streaming, i.e. buffering new contents and picking up at the desired position again. In this test, I wanted to listen to the first few seconds of a track and then slide forward to its last seconds.

Remark 3: Actually, I am not at all the Playlist type of person, I am the Play-an-entire-album person. So I would never have noticed this noise issue... Similar to me noticing the mute at a track's beginning only after quite some time with the N6ii. [In former days, I even had some OCD with music I cherish - I wouldn't stop a track without a manual slow fade-out, and I would listen to all four sides of a 2-LP album in a row... - getting sidetracked.]

Mar 3, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #5,615 of 8,198
@111MilesToGo Thanks for testing this out. I'm using E01 motherboard. Through my headphones system (N6ii --> DAC --> headphone amp --> headphones) this noise is quite loud (static noise at beginning of a track). I'm a playlist person so have a mix of MQA and non-MQA songs in my playlists so I often get this noise. It only happens when switching from non-MQA to MQA. If several songs are either MQA or non-MQA (in a sequence) then there's no issue at all. Also, if I listen to an album then there's no issue as all of the songs will be either non-MQA or MQA.

@jonstatt Which motherboard are you using?

Mar 3, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #5,616 of 8,198
@111MilesToGo Thanks for testing this out. I'm using E01 motherboard. Through my headphones system (N6ii --> DAC --> headphone amp --> headphones) this noise is quite loud (static noise at beginning of a track). I'm a playlist person so have a mix of MQA and non-MQA songs in my playlists so I often get this noise. It only happens when switching from non-MQA to MQA. If several songs are either MQA or non-MQA (in a sequence) then there's no issue at all. Also, if I listen to an album then there's no issue as all of the songs will be either non-MQA or MQA.

A02

Mar 4, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #5,617 of 8,198

E01 motherboard don’t have dedicated LO output as I now. So looks like you are using double amping, am I correct? Maybe that is why this noise quite low if using Headphone output directly to HP and so disturbing in your setup?

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #5,618 of 8,198
E01 motherboard don’t have dedicated LO output as I now. So looks like you are using double amping, am I correct? Maybe that is why this noise quite low if using Headphone output directly to HP and so disturbing in your setup?
E01 only has a headphone output. I hear noise with that. However, if I use the IIS interface of the N6ii (bypassing E01 DAC) and connect to an external DAC, I still get the same noise.

Last night and early this morning the noise went away briefly. I did notice an error in UAPP - it could not locate the DAC. After a power off and power on, the noise returned. It only happens at the beginning of a track and is very brief (something like 0.5 seconds). It sound like static noise.

I have not noticed this before and it has only been present since the last firmware update that provided native MQA support.

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #5,619 of 8,198
Those noises are from the FPGA and the others processors doing their stuff. I don’t use MQA, so I don’t care much. Most of my stuff is dsd and FLAC. I don’t encounter these noises using Cayin app, except Neutron or UAPP. Because I like Neutron and FLAC so that is what I am using. For DSD, I flip to Cayin. I just hope that Cayin improve the functionality of Cayin app in FLAC to improve clarity and crisps details similar to Neutron, then I am happy

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #5,620 of 8,198
Those noises are from the FPGA and the others processors doing their stuff. I don’t use MQA, so I don’t care much. Most of my stuff is dsd and FLAC. I don’t encounter these noises using Cayin app, except Neutron or UAPP. Because I like Neutron and FLAC so that is what I am using. For DSD, I flip to Cayin. I just hope that Cayin improve the functionality of Cayin app in FLAC to improve clarity and crisps details similar to Neutron, then I am happy
My FLAC files play fine with the Cayin app or UAPP. No issues there. How do you rate the Neutron app vs UAPP or Cayin app?

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #5,621 of 8,198
My FLAC files play fine with the Cayin app or UAPP. No issues there. How do you rate the Neutron app vs UAPP or Cayin app?
Personally I don't like it, it was a while ago now so the issue may have been fixed, or my settings were bad, but I have had several occurrences of near 100% volume blasting my ears to the point where I got used to starting the music, check the volume then put the IEM/headphone on when using Neutron, so its just easier to not use it now.

Mar 4, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #5,622 of 8,198
How are you running your N6ii with respect to battery management?

UAPP did crash on me quite often recently. At one point of these, my WiFi on the N6ii got scrambled such that it would still connect to my home router, but wouldn‘t establish any internet connection anymore. Luckily, this could be solved by deleting that particular WiFi connection and hooking up to it from scratch.

Thereafter, UAPP for the n-th time asked me to e-mail a crash report (doesn‘t work of course). But this time it offered trouble shooting: It stated clearly I should make sure to disable Battery Optimization for UAPP.

I checked that the general energy saving mode is disabled. Going through the battery setting for each relevant app (i.e. all music players Cayin, HiBy, Neutron, UAPP, Qobuz, Tidal), I found that only the preinstalled Cayin App had Battery Optimization Disabled, all others (including the preinstalled HiBy) had it Enabled. Thus I turned them all off. No experience yet as to what this does to battery life and what to those crashes.

So: How do you have your apps set for Battery Optimization?

Mar 4, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #5,624 of 8,198
UAPP did crash on me quite often recently. At one point of these, my WiFi on the N6ii got scrambled such that it would still connect to my home router, but wouldn‘t establish any internet connection anymore. Luckily, this could be solved by deleting that particular WiFi connection and hooking up to it from scratch.

Thereafter, UAPP for the n-th time asked me to e-mail a crash report (doesn‘t work of course). But this time it offered trouble shooting: It stated clearly I should make sure to disable Battery Optimization for UAPP.

I checked that the general energy saving mode is disabled. Going through the battery setting for each relevant app (i.e. all music players Cayin, HiBy, Neutron, UAPP, Qobuz, Tidal), I found that only the preinstalled Cayin App had Battery Optimization Disabled, all others (including the preinstalled HiBy) had it Enabled. Thus I turned them all off. No experience yet as to what this does to battery life and what to those crashes.

Very interesting. I have found UAPP to be quite unstable lately. Last night it crashed, and it did offer to debug, but I just closed it. I will check the battery optimisation settings. Thanks for the heads up!

Mar 4, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #5,625 of 8,198
Neutron blasts the ears if you plugged in, it will automatically play music
I think you can forbid Neutron to play once plugged in, somewhere in its zillion of settings.

Myself, I have no problems with Neutron. My only complaint would be that it merges the audio contents of network drives with those of the local DAP storage, resulting in ages of scanning at times, scanning the network drive that is. Either solution 1: Only the local drive goes into a library, and the network drive is just available for ”play from directory“. Or solution 2: I am still experimenting with its settings to prevent scanning of network drives that I know to remain unchanged; thus such drives would sit in the library without rescanning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back