Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Sep 3, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #4,966 of 8,192
lol you really change it again for every song ? Just use the first till the fix is online ...

Yes, I mainly use N6ii with my Z1R, and the fast roll off filter is making them sound brighter and thinner, losing the low end frequency, and not as natural as the slow roll off filter.

Sep 4, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #4,967 of 8,192
The 8x MQA is actually, when listened carefully, compared to the flac files, adds a degree of depth and emotion to the music, which is really enjoyable. But this could just be me and what I hear through my ears.

20F0A725-8985-47B8-9B57-DF2AE028B1C6.jpeg

Sep 4, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #4,969 of 8,192
I actually haven't been having that problem, the digital filter stays at slow roll off linear phase for every song that I play

That’s weird. Like @Andykong said, mine always changes to the fast roll off. You can actually hear the slight pause between songs indicating the change to fast roll off. It’s very annoying.

Sep 4, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #4,970 of 8,192
I’ve been listening to some Tidal MQA today. It’s the first time listening with the new firmware as I’ve been a bit ill since the update and wasn’t in the right mood.

For the first few tracks I was trying to discern if there was any difference in sound from first unfold at 96k to a full unfold at 384k. I wasn’t sure if I could tell. I was working and so I just kept the N6ii playing and enjoyed the music. But I have been sitting back for a bit now after finishing work and just listening. I am playing the Marcus Miller album Afrodeezia at 384k from Tidal, and I must admit it sounds rather awesome. I’m really really enjoying it. The music is full bodied and detailed and the separation is really good. I would also say it is really musical. There seems to be so much going on in a track that my attention is being pulled in all directions, but I mean that in a good way.

So far I am a happy camper 👍

I should mention my setup for reference:

N6ii (E02) > EA Thor Silver II+ > 64Audio Trio

Sep 5, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #4,971 of 8,192
Yes, there is a problem with the filter, moreover, everything is fine on MQA files, but on flac and pcm, the filter immediately changes to sharp roll-off, it is impossible to use the player normally. I tried to install the previous firmware, it gives an error. Has someone tried it?

Sep 5, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #4,972 of 8,192
Yes, there is a problem with the filter, moreover, everything is fine on MQA files, but on flac and pcm, the filter immediately changes to sharp roll-off, it is impossible to use the player normally. I tried to install the previous firmware, it gives an error. Has someone tried it?

I’m not sure there’s a way to roll back to previous FW. It seems like it’s gonna be a while until a fix is announced. No news on ETA so far, quite frustrating indeed.

Sep 5, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #4,973 of 8,192
I’m not sure there’s a way to roll back to previous FW. It seems like it’s gonna be a while until a fix is announced. No news on ETA so far, quite frustrating indeed.
Cayin is quite good with their customer service, maybe Andy is on its weekend right now, you know? Cause Saturday in America/ Sunday in Asia...

I don’t think they’ll take long for the fix, at most this week, at the very must. This guys are quite good with their releases

Sep 5, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #4,974 of 8,192
Cayin is quite good with their customer service, maybe Andy is on its weekend right now, you know? Cause Saturday in America/ Sunday in Asia...

I don’t think they’ll take long for the fix, at most this week, at the very must. This guys are quite good with their releases

Yeah he broke the news on the bug on Sept 3rd, so not exactly on the weekend. I also hope it’ll be resolved soon. It’s totally unusable for me in its current state.

Sep 5, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #4,975 of 8,192
Hey guys, looking for a little assistance here. I got a different N6ii with E02 and it sounds great so I'm definitely going with that. What would be a good complement module for the E02? I will be using this mostly with the warmer sounding 64 Audio Nio's so wondering if the A01 or the T01 would be the better companion to the E02. Thanks in advance for the help.

Sep 6, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #4,979 of 8,192
For those who are experiencing their E02 module getting very hot, do you have hot weather currently?

I don't have an E02, but I have an E01 and here in London, UK, we've been experiencing a sustained period of very hot weather and I've noticed my E01 getting a lot warmer than normal, but not to the point where I couldn't touch it. Perhaps it's related to ambient temperature too? I know that the datastream (bit depth, sampling rate) that is being decoded has a big impact on the heat generated, as does the volume level.
I’m also in the UK and the weather right now can only be described as autumnal and it’s still getting extraordinarily hot on medium gain at 40-60 volume depending on which iems I’m using.

Sep 6, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #4,980 of 8,192
I think it depends on how fast you turn it. Try turning it very slowly and see if it works better.
I have this issue with the volume control as well. It feels cheap and insubstantial. You shouldn’t have to turn it very slowly to make it work. Every other DAP I’ve owned has not had this problem. I’m beginning to think this N6ii with E02 is not as good as we all thought it was. I’m going for the Hiby R8 when I can get my hands on one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back