Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Sep 6, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #4,981 of 8,192
I’ve been listening to some Tidal MQA today. It’s the first time listening with the new firmware as I’ve been a bit ill since the update and wasn’t in the right mood.

For the first few tracks I was trying to discern if there was any difference in sound from first unfold at 96k to a full unfold at 384k. I wasn’t sure if I could tell. I was working and so I just kept the N6ii playing and enjoyed the music. But I have been sitting back for a bit now after finishing work and just listening. I am playing the Marcus Miller album Afrodeezia at 384k from Tidal, and I must admit it sounds rather awesome. I’m really really enjoying it. The music is full bodied and detailed and the separation is really good. I would also say it is really musical. There seems to be so much going on in a track that my attention is being pulled in all directions, but I mean that in a good way.

So far I am a happy camper 👍

I should mention my setup for reference:

N6ii (E02) > EA Thor Silver II+ > 64Audio Trio
I’ve just done the firmware update and to test it I’m playing that very same Marcus Miller album. The top still shows it playing at 96k, not 384k. I’ve tried the airplane mode “trick” as well but it makes no difference. What am I doing wrong?

Sep 6, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #4,982 of 8,192
I’ve just done the firmware update and to test it I’m playing that very same Marcus Miller album. The top still shows it playing at 96k, not 384k. I’ve tried the airplane mode “trick” as well but it makes no difference. What am I doing wrong?
Plug in headphones or line out, yes I made that mistake too. :)

Sep 6, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #4,983 of 8,192
Hey guys, looking for a little assistance here. I got a different N6ii with E02 and it sounds great so I'm definitely going with that. What would be a good complement module for the E02? I will be using this mostly with the warmer sounding 64 Audio Nio's so wondering if the A01 or the T01 would be the better companion to the E02. Thanks in advance for the help.
If you use warm headphones, then I advise exactly t01, apparently, it is the brightest and most emotional module. I have t01 and a01. A01 sounds like something simple and blurry vs T01.

Sep 6, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #4,984 of 8,192
Plug in headphones or line out, yes I made that mistake too. :)
Thanks. Before I saw this I tried quitting Tidal and logging in again. After initially showing no change, suddenly the higher bit rate is now showing. So all ok. Except, frankly, I’m not impressed by the quality. While there is a very small amount of additional detail, it’s much more cluttered and, for want of a better word “shouty”. Sorry, that doesn’t sound very technical. It sounds like the player/iems are not able to cope with the additional sonic information and it sounds a bit of a mess. And I’ve tried it with my top three iems - Legend X, QDC Anole VX and AAW Canary.

Sep 6, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #4,985 of 8,192
I’m also in the UK and the weather right now can only be described as autumnal and it’s still getting extraordinarily hot on medium gain at 40-60 volume depending on which iems I’m using.

This is not good then. I have the E01 module and can play music for a long time with the N6ii getting quite warm, but not hot to the point of it being uncomfortable to hold. I have my N6ii in a case and I'm wondering if the case causes the N6ii to get hotter than normal.

E02 must generate a lot of heat to deliver the higher power, and combine that with a relatively underpowered CPU probably running maxed out and the processing of Hi-Res music files, and it's going to get hot.

Sep 6, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #4,986 of 8,192
Thanks. Before I saw this I tried quitting Tidal and logging in again. After initially showing no change, suddenly the higher bit rate is now showing. So all ok. Except, frankly, I’m not impressed by the quality. While there is a very small amount of additional detail, it’s much more cluttered and, for want of a better word “shouty”. Sorry, that doesn’t sound very technical. It sounds like the player/iems are not able to cope with the additional sonic information and it sounds a bit of a mess. And I’ve tried it with my top three iems - Legend X, QDC Anole VX and AAW Canary.
Hmm, I don’t really know what to say here. I haven’t tried the Legend X yet, but the Trio has been really good. As I mentioned above, at first I wasn’t sure if there was any difference between before and after the update but when I gave it my full attention I did notice a difference. With that Marcus Miller album my ears were being pulled in different directions. In a good way I mean.

Who knows why we perceive this differently. Is it a different IEM, different cables, different tips, or perhaps my ears are older, more battered and less able to pick out the problems. I really have no idea.

Sep 6, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #4,988 of 8,192
Hey guys, looking for a little assistance here. I got a different N6ii with E02 and it sounds great so I'm definitely going with that. What would be a good complement module for the E02? I will be using this mostly with the warmer sounding 64 Audio Nio's so wondering if the A01 or the T01 would be the better companion to the E02. Thanks in advance for the help.
T01 is the way better pair up with Nio than A01

Sep 7, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #4,994 of 8,192
I’m not getting that problem either
One problem that has emerged is that, when playing a Tidal Masters track, 88.1 or 96 kHz will appear at the top Initially and there’s a lag before it registers the next two unfoldings. When it switches to eg 384 kHz, there is an interruption to the track. It’s only half a second, but very annoying. Anyone else experienced this? It didn’t happen immediately after the update was done. But now it’s every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back