Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Sep 1, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #4,937 of 8,201
It’s working great so far!

F61FA414-5DED-4F82-B078-38AEEBDA25CF.jpeg
Nice. That Green Day track is 352.8k. Do you notice much sound difference from when it would only unfold to 96k?

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #4,938 of 8,201
Nice. That Green Day track is 352.8k. Do you notice much sound difference from when it would only unfold to 96k?

Honestly, a teeny tiny bit more emotions and micro-details in the music, according to my ears, it's really subtle. But the big difference that I do notice is how fast it drains the battery!

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #4,939 of 8,201
Here is another file downloaded from the 2L sample site. 352.8KHz and 88.2Khz in the notification bar. :frowning2:

20200901_135601.jpg

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #4,940 of 8,201
That's with the Tidal app by the look of it. I'm using the Cayin app to play an MQA track I have here and it not working properly for me by the look of it.

Mine is working properly with Cayin app, it unfolds to 352.8KHz

5FEB911B-BBC4-4AB4-AC4F-6CC62CCBA35A.jpeg

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #4,941 of 8,201
Here is another file downloaded from the 2L sample site. 352.8KHz and 88.2Khz in the notification bar. :frowning2:

I wonder if it only does full unfold directly from the Tidal app?

Honestly, a teeny tiny bit more emotions and micro-details in the music, according to my ears, it's really subtle. But the big difference that I do notice is how fast it drains the battery!
Oh dear, the battery life on the E01 and E02 were pretty poor anyway. I am getting around 6hrs before a recharge is needed.

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #4,943 of 8,201
Sep 1, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #4,946 of 8,201
That's with the Tidal app by the look of it. I'm using the Cayin app to play an MQA track I have here and it not working properly for me by the look of it.

Did you download the MQA track from 2L? Give me the link and let me check it out.

PS. Nevermind, I noticed you have solved the problem after you plug in your earphones

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 1, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #4,947 of 8,201
The new firmware release with MQA support is very exciting news!

I have a question related to S/PDIF output via coax. I am looking to get as much value from this brilliant little Cayin N6ii DAP as possible. Currently I'm using it as a simple DAP with headphones and as a digital transport via I2S for my bedside headphones system. Now I want to connect it up to my old speaker-based HiFi system. The integrated amp I have has a coaxial digital input.

I believe I need the Cayin CS 30TCR Type-C to RCA Coaxial Cable and then connect up my N6ii with my integrated amp. I then set the output type to S/PDIF. Could @Andykong or @CayinSupport confirm this please?

yes, the CS-30TCR can connect your N6ii to the Coaxial digital input of your desktop DAC or Integrate amp. But make sure you didn't mixed up with the line in of integrated amp. which is also in RCA but works in pair. Can you tell me the brand and model and I'll run a check for you, make sure your integrated amp has a digital coaxial input?

When you connect the N6ii to your home audio in coaxial, just set the digital output to S/PDIF (since you are using I2S HDMI right now) and you are in business.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 1, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #4,948 of 8,201
This is excellent news.

I am currently in the office working and so I don’t have the N6ii with me. Has anyone else updated the firmware and tried some MQA tracks?

Seems to be working fine. OTA update was straightforward. Here's a screenshot of a Masters track played from the TIDAL app, using the E01 module:

sUlHFNe.jpg

Sep 1, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #4,949 of 8,201
yes, the CS-30TCR can connect your N6ii to the Coaxial digital input of your desktop DAC or Integrate amp. But make sure you didn't mixed up with the line in of integrated amp. which is also in RCA but works in pair. Can you tell me the brand and model and I'll run a check for you, make sure your integrated amp has a digital coaxial input?

When you connect the N6ii to your home audio in coaxial, just set the digital output to S/PDIF (since you are using I2S HDMI right now) and you are in business.

Thanks! It's a big, ugly, old amp with an old DAC chip: Marantz PM6005. It has a digital section on the back panel where all the digital inputs are (optical and RCA). I won't be using any of the RCA inputs, but thanks for the reminder. I'll be getting a new smaller amp soon with coax input as the PM6005 is too big for my A/V cabinet. My aim is the make the Cayin N6ii the heart of all of my audio systems at home.

Sep 1, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #4,950 of 8,201
It’s working great so far!

F61FA414-5DED-4F82-B078-38AEEBDA25CF.jpeg
I had a look at your pic and tried Tidal and all I got on E02 is two times unfold. So I checked your pic again. The only difference I didn’t do as you was to use airplane mode then turn wifi on. I did that and voila! The 8 times unfold is working. Learning something new everyday and thanks for the tip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back