Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Apr 17, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #91 of 8,192
DX 220 comparison is relevant, I heard a few of the Amp cards for the 220 at Axpona, it was a very polish very strong performer

I like Cayin to, the N5ii was one of my favorites in it's price point last year!

I would hope they keep this no more than 999,
Personally I'm itching for a dap upgrade and if it is about a grand it'll drop nicely in my budget.

Hopefully it's not too bulky tho. I didn't like how big and bulky the DX200 was.

If it is then I may have to keep waiting for the right product :/

Apr 17, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #92 of 8,192
What would the I2S output be used for--using the player as a standalone DAC?

Yes but the other way round, it is a digital output, so the player will perform as a Digital Transport and you need a I2S ready DAC to complete the connection. The I2S digital audio interface was originally used for internal data transmission inside a CD/SACD player, and was modified by audiophile companies as a high performance Digital interface between a Transport and a DAC. If you are interested to find out more about I2S, take a look at the follow explanation from Paul McGowan of PS Audio, Paul is probably the most authoritative engineer to comment on the technical detail (and advantages) of using I2S as an alternative to S/PDIF and USB Audio digital interface.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 17, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #93 of 8,192
Any news when you will release full specs and msrp.?

We make a promise to make the specification details and price available by end of April. If all the measurement and testing wend smoothly, we might be able to beat that time and publish the data within 10 days, fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Apr 17, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #94 of 8,192
Will there be an option to jump into the music app, ie a pure music mode or something similar? I don't care for the apps and so on.

Can't do this, sorry. our I5, and N5ii/N5iiS were designed like that, a closed Android device with no way to access the Android desktop, it will go straight into the home screen of the Cayin Music App., but the streaming user groups becomes more dominating in past few years and we received a lot of customer feedback and requests for Android desktop access right, we finally pull the plug and go for an open Android device approach. This is a major direction change in system level and we can't reverse it by a user-selectable setting in firmware.

You can, however, remove all App icons on the Android desktop and make the Cayin Music Player the only icon on the desktop, so the only different is one extra click when you arrive at the Android desktop.

Last edited:

Apr 18, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #95 of 8,192
Can't do this, sorry. our I5, and N5ii/N5iiS were designed like that, a closed Android device with no way to access the Android desktop, it will go straight into the home screen of the Cayin Music App., but the streaming user groups becomes more dominating in past few years and we received a lot of customer feedback and requests for Android desktop access right, we finally pull the plug and go for an open Android device approach. This is a major direction change in system level and we can't reverse it by a user-selectable setting in firmware.

You can, however, remove all App icons on the Android desktop and make the Cayin Music Player the only icon on the desktop, so the only different is one extra click when you arrive at the Android desktop.
Actually, it is possible to get access to the android desktop on the N5ii and by extension, the i5. I've tested it.

Simply install a 3rd party launcher like nova launcher and you'll have access to it. It defaults back to the Cayin Launcher after every reboot though so you'll have to initialise the launcher again.

Apr 18, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #96 of 8,192
We make a promise to make the specification details and price available by end of April. If all the measurement and testing wend smoothly, we might be able to beat that time and publish the data within 10 days, fingers crossed.
Aside from the usual technical audio measurements, will it include the dimensions and weight measurements too?

Apr 18, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #97 of 8,192

So basically because the market wants app access for streaming, you've gone to booting directly to the launcher to do so.

And to add an option to boot into an app rather than the home screen is simply not worth the resources to work on because its simply not that big of a market segment to affect sales.

It's not that its not doable but rather not worth putting the resources into doing. I don't like it but I get it.

As long as the there's a widget for the player that I can put on the home screen to control playback.

Apr 18, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #98 of 8,192
So basically because the market wants app access for streaming, you've gone to booting directly to the launcher to do so.

And to add an option to boot into an app rather than the home screen is simply not worth the resources to work on because its simply not that big of a market segment to affect sales.

It's not that its not doable but rather not worth putting the resources into doing. I don't like it but I get it.

As long as the there's a widget for the player that I can put on the home screen to control playback.
You do have a point. Never thought about it like that :thinking:

I do use the small currently playing interface quite a lot. Perhaps they could place it in the notification bar?

Apr 18, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #100 of 8,192
You do have a point. Never thought about it like that :thinking:

I do use the small currently playing interface quite a lot. Perhaps they could place it in the notification bar?
It's because I have to do it to clients myself as a Software Dev. Sometimes its just not viable to build in a feature for a client regardless of whether it's doable. I usually try to offer a compromise, but am pretty straight forward about why I won't do it.

The only DAP I own with the home menu is the Onkyo DPX1A. But they do have a very nice widget that I can use to control playback without having to click in. It would be an acceptable compromise.

Apr 18, 2019 at 3:39 AM Post #101 of 8,192
I guess it would not be that difficult: they would only need to register the music app as a launcher even though it's not, much like the N5ii's music app. That way users could select what app they want as home - either the launcher or the app. They already did that, so it's not like they have to figure out how to do it.

Apr 18, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #102 of 8,192
I guess it would not be that difficult: they would only need to register the music app as a launcher even though it's not, much like the N5ii's music app. That way users could select what app they want as home - either the launcher or the app. They already did that, so it's not like they have to figure out how to do it.
Maybe it was HiBy who did it for them that time?

Apr 18, 2019 at 5:25 AM Post #103 of 8,192
Wow!!
As an i5 DAP user, I am very impressed how quick and smooth N6ii reacts.
I use an app to sync with iTunes and play music files so I prefer the UI of N6ii.
On i5 DAP it takes a few steps to run my apps but on N6ii, it seems that I could easily run any apps.
I am looking forward to demo N6ii at Headphone Festival at Tokyo.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #104 of 8,192

Thanks. Looking forward for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back