Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Jun 6, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #6,196 of 8,214
Excellent! Musicteck also has the spare Battery Modules for the C9 available for pre order as well.

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #6,197 of 8,214
Looking for some specific help here. Is there somebody out there who owns a DAC device which displays BOTH the incoming sample rate AND incoming bit depth? From looking around I found e.g. the Mytek Brooklyn to do that. There are lots of DACs which display the sample rate (from AudioQuest DragonFly to Chord Hugo 2 which I own myself), but bit depth information is extremely rare.

It would be very helpful if such DAC would accept input from the I2S digital out of the N6ii, and - more easily - from the S/PDIF out.

Please note: This call for help is in no way related to the N6ii itself !!!!!! It is related to the Qobuz Android app.

Thanks in advance, PM highly welcome.

Jun 6, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #6,198 of 8,214
Question for my fellow Cayin owners! ... has anyone connected the Cayin to an external amp like a HeadAmp GS-X Mini (or similar)? So that you’d be using the Cayin as DAC but the external amp on amp duties obviously. What cable or cord would you use for that? Thanks in advance fellas.

(right now I’m using a chord Hugo 2 and the GSX Mini in my desktop set up but I’m wondering if I can use my Cayin DAP for both portable and desktop use and sell the Hugo)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #6,199 of 8,214
Question for my fellow Cayin owners! ... has anyone connected the Cayin to an external amp like a HeadAmp GS-X Mini (or similar)? So that you’d be using the Cayin as DAC but the external amp on amp duties obviously. What cable or cord would you use for that? Thanks in advance fellas.

(right now I’m using a chord Hugo 2 and the GSX Mini in my desktop set up but I’m wondering if I can use my Cayin DAP for both portable and desktop use and sell the Hugo)
You will need a 4.4 to dual XLR cable. I believe you can find one such on Amazon.

I have paired my N6ii A02 with the Xiaudio Broadway Amp and got very positive outcomes.

Jun 6, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #6,200 of 8,214
Welp, been reading up a little on r2r dacs, and I decided to preorder the R01. Here's to hoping it produces a new experience thats unique from the other boards. I realize it'll likely be fairly marginal, but here's to hoping!

Jun 6, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #6,201 of 8,214
Welp, been reading up a little on r2r dacs, and I decided to preorder the R01. Here's to hoping it produces a new experience thats unique from the other boards. I realize it'll likely be fairly marginal, but here's to hoping!
Congrats! The R01 club is growing :)

I think with Cayin's track record, they won't disappoint. It's a really good value, for 600 bucks you can transform your N6ii to a R2R unit without the LP software issues. Plus you get all that nice streaming haha

Jun 6, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #6,202 of 8,214
Congrats! The R01 club is growing :)

I think with Cayin's track record, they won't disappoint. It's a really good value, for 600 bucks you can transform your N6ii to a R2R unit without the LP software issues. Plus you get all that nice streaming haha
I have the A01 and E01 and use the n6ii mostly for streaming single ended to iems. I have been pretty happy with it so far and there's a definite (albeit minor) difference between the A01 and E01, so I'm hoping r2r brings something unique here.

Honestly my only "concern" at this point with the n6ii is just that it's running a fairly old version of android so I have concerns it may become obsolete sooner rather than later and that streaming apps may no longer receive updates or at worse stop working. Hopefully though that doesn't happen for quite some time.

Jun 6, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #6,203 of 8,214

You will need a 4.4 to dual XLR cable. I believe you can find one such on Amazon.

I have paired my N6ii A02 with the Xiaudio Broadway Amp and got very positive outcomes.
I do that with a Violectric HPA V281. Great with proper line-out Cayin modules (cf. above, posts by Andykong).

I have the iFi Audio 4.4 to dual XLR balanced cable which was pointed to by @Andykong a while ago here. Probably more appropriate than Amazon stuff ... (unless iFi sells via A). I got mine from their German importer.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #6,204 of 8,214
Does anyone switch motherboards without screws? I'm curious if I can getaway not using screws every time I want to switch motherboards when traveling.

Traveling with a screwdriver is something I'd like to avoid haha

Jun 6, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #6,205 of 8,214
Does anyone switch motherboards without screws? I'm curious if I can getaway not using screws every time I want to switch motherboards when traveling.

I don't believe theres any reason you would need the screws, except to hold the board in place so that it doesnt disconnect, which I imagine might be bad if its powered on. If you have a case to hold it snugly in place you would probably be ok. Personally though I think I would still opt to take the screwdriver and screw it in.

Jun 6, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #6,207 of 8,214

Duct tape it , the mans way.

Jun 6, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #6,208 of 8,214

Alongside the C9, I use my N6II/A02 with my desktop Sparkos Aries Lab amp quite a bit and it sounds phenomenal. I also have the Hugo 2 and could quite easily see the A02 module being a decent DAC replacement.

Jun 6, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #6,209 of 8,214

I use the A02 module connected to the Venture Electronics Defiant transportable amp (a beast of power AND musicality), and really like this combo :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back