Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
May 16, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #5,987 of 8,192
C'mon now, we don't want it to be super dooper dapper now do we?
Nah... just wanted to know what they are made/finished of/in. As the R01 on its own - in Black- is already over $600 the Ti unit seems a bit of a bargain compared anyway. And yes.... it would be nice if they were solid Gold! 😃

May 16, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #5,988 of 8,192
I wouldn't be surprised if some of this R-2R research went into refreshing Cayin's desktop/2-channel line, assuming that's still a viable product space for the company. It sure seems like the products that get the most attention and are iterated on the most are the portable lines, at least right now. But the ladder DAC market is fairly unclaimed, especially in the US. Denafrips and Audio-gd are great, but neither offers a traditional retail experience (plus both come with their set of quirks). There's Schiit, but they're fully invested in multibit.

I guess my point is... as someone looking to upgrade their living room DAC, I would love to see what Cayin does with R-2R, which has traditionally been a non-portable product. Yeah, of course an R-2R flagship DAP is experimental and cool, but home audio is great too! :smile:

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #5,989 of 8,192
I wouldn't be surprised if some of this R-2R research went into refreshing Cayin's desktop/2-channel line, assuming that's still a viable product space for the company. It sure seems like the products that get the most attention and are iterated on the most are the portable lines, at least right now. But the ladder DAC market is fairly unclaimed, especially in the US. Denafrips and Audio-gd are great, but neither offers a traditional retail experience (plus both come with their set of quirks). There's Schiit, but they're fully invested in multibit.

I guess my point is... as someone looking to upgrade their living room DAC, I would love to see what Cayin does with R-2R, which has traditionally been a non-portable product. Yeah, of course an R-2R flagship DAP is experimental and cool, but home audio is great too! :smile:
A fitting R2R DAC of the class of the Ha-6a amplifier would be great.
Certainly would love to see that

May 17, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #5,991 of 8,192
Back on topic, I'm shocked at how well this DAP with the E02 motherboard, can drive the Empyrean.
Im shocked you like that headphone.

May 17, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #5,992 of 8,192
Best headphone on earth, what's not to like about it?

Also on topic:
Since the cayin is Android based, can you install UAPP and use it as a Server to connect to your Desktop DAC?

May 17, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #5,993 of 8,192
Also on topic:
Since the cayin is Android based, can you install UAPP and use it as a Server to connect to your Desktop DAC?
You mean - can N6ii serve as a source, feeding desktop DAC via usb cable? Yes it can, even without using UAPP. Cayin software player also nice in terms of SQ, not poorer than UAPP when using with external DAC. But in case of streaming TIDAL or similar service - UAPP better solution.

May 17, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #5,994 of 8,192
I’m shocked you think you can predict my taste! :L3000:
What can I say? It’s a great headphone. One of the best for a certain type of listener, and definitely not for everyone. But also, and this is slightly back on topic, Cayin and Meze gear tend to pair well with each other. At least the 99 Classics and the N3 Pro are a fabulous pairing, so it would seem are their higher tier products.

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #5,995 of 8,192
I’m shocked you think you can predict my taste! :L3000:
What can I say? It’s a great headphone. One of the best for a certain type of listener, and definitely not for everyone. But also, and this is slightly back on topic, Cayin and Meze gear tend to pair well with each other. At least the 99 Classics and the N3 Pro are a fabulous pairing, so it would seem are their higher tier products.
Cayin Ha-6a + Empyrean is also top notch👌

May 17, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #5,996 of 8,192
You mean - can N6ii serve as a source, feeding desktop DAC via usb cable? Yes it can, even without using UAPP. Cayin software player also nice in terms of SQ, not poorer than UAPP when using with external DAC. But in case of streaming TIDAL or similar service - UAPP better solution.
Exactly what I wanted to know.
The only thing that keeps me from buying the N6ii now is, that I don't really need a DAP during the pandemic

However the N6ii Ticks all the boxes, hopefully it's firmware won't be unsupported in a few years.

May 17, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #5,997 of 8,192
It's unnecessary to use UAPP on a specialty Android DAP like the N6ii because it has been built the ground up by Cayin to purposely bypass the normal Android SRC - something that would require UAPP on most other Android devices if you want to do that. Which means anything that you install as player on N6ii will leverage on this common DAC handling layer and to me this is the biggest appeal to own N6ii in the first place (among other things)

May 17, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #6,000 of 8,192

Users who are viewing this thread

Back