Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Oct 27, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #5,283 of 8,192
Can second recs for the E02...apart from the S1 it's my favorite portable source that I've heard so far in this hobby.

Oct 28, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #5,287 of 8,192
The DDhifi adapter look funny..but it get the job done..
IMG_20201028_210335.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #5,293 of 8,192
I would like to ask about two use cases that have been discussed here several times (around March-May this year) or mentioned just once.

I am currently looking into how I can make use of the >1 TB audio collection I have amassed over time. The collection resides on internal SSD hard disks on each of my two laptops (one Windows, one Linux; they do backup each other).

How to use this collection with my N6ii?

The brute force approach would be to copy it to a microSD card for the N6ii:
  • It is not elegant,
  • it requires tedious selection and copy procedures,
  • and it requires continuous syncing.
  • This is the easiest way to take my music out of the house.
  • But for in-the-house use at any place away from my desktop rig it is really tedious.
  • Plus, from a perfectionist‘s point of view, getting the metadata into great shape is an effort still ahead of me.
What are better approaches for in-the-house use? I'd like to ask for your recommendations and experiences with two approaches:
  • I have Roon on my Windows PC, and it hooks up to all components of my desktop setup plus to the N6ii when used e.g. as a USB-DAC with the desktop rig or from its line out into the headphone amp.
    • Can I use the N6ii as a Roon endpoint? It would hook up to the PC via my home WiFi.
    • Can I run a Roon Android app on the N6ii such as to stream the desired music from PC to N6ii, listen on the N6ii and control everything from the N6ii?
  • Another approach I think is Plex / PlexAmp, as mentioned here recently:
4. Finally, my personal favorite/saving the best for last: I have a Plex server running on my home network from an old 2011 MacBook Pro which hosts a lot of video and audio files.
- The app Plexamp (by the same people who make Plex) is really nice and is built for audio. I can access everything losslessly via WiFi/cell hotspot from the server (MacBook Pro), and the layout is intuitive for new people. So... all the music that I’ve amassed over the years on two HD’s is now available with a dedicated LO!​
- Even better? I can remote control the N6ii via any PC/Mac, my iPhone, or other android device, etc.I do this via TeamViewer Remote on my iPhone and TeamViewer Host on my N6ii. Flawless.​
  • Then
    • I could run Plex server on my PC to share my audio collection over WiFi, and have its metadata amended and beautified at the same time?
    • And PlexAmp on the N6ii would pick the audio stream up, let me listen on the N6ii, and allow me to control everything from the N6ii?
Finally, I would like to make sure once again: Which apps on the N6ii do profit from its DTA (Direct Transport Audio, bypassing all Android audio butchery) concept? Yes, the Cayin and HiBy Music apps for sure. How about Qobuz? And how about Roon and/or PlexAmp? How about others like UAPP? (Dear @Andykong, this has been talked about several times, but I found a couple of contradictory answers along this thread.)

Thanks a lot in advance for your insight on Roon, Plex/PlexAmp, and DTA.

Oct 30, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #5,294 of 8,192
Follow-up on Plex / PlexAmp: John Darko has a feature on his website
https://darko.audio/2020/09/a-short-film-about-plex-and-plexamp/
https://darko.audio/2020/09/five-alternatives-to-plex-plexamp/
with a different use case. He describes streaming from his home to his phone, anywhere, including let the Plex server downsample to CD quality or less to save one‘s mobile data allowance.

I am wondering: If I wanted to do both an N6ii WiFi connection within my house AND a mobile connection to a phone (not simultaneously, of course), would I need two Plex Passes?

Oct 30, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #5,295 of 8,192
Finally, I would like to make sure once again: Which apps on the N6ii do profit from its DTA (Direct Transport Audio, bypassing all Android audio butchery) concept? Yes, the Cayin and HiBy Music apps for sure. How about Qobuz? And how about Roon and/or PlexAmp? How about others like UAPP? (Dear @Andykong, this has been talked about several times, but I found a couple of contradictory answers along this thread.)

I asked this question a while ago and AndyKong gave a very detailed reply. Let me try to find that reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back