Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Apr 5, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #3,991 of 8,194
@jmills8 Unfortunately that doesn't completely close the apps. I tried that, locked the screen (pushed volume control), unlocked (pushed volume control in again) and the Cayin Music app was still there ready to play the last song that I was listening to. However, specifically for the Cayin Music app, I have found one way: tap the gear icon in the top-left of the Cayin Music app and the select Exit and OK. That completely shuts down the Cayin Music app.

Pull the notification shade down, and then expand the playback notification (swipe down on that notification with the playback controls). Then a cross shall appear, hit that and it should be closed.

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #3,992 of 8,194
@jmills8 Unfortunately that doesn't completely close the apps. I tried that, locked the screen (pushed volume control), unlocked (pushed volume control in again) and the Cayin Music app was still there ready to play the last song that I was listening to. However, specifically for the Cayin Music app, I have found one way: tap the gear icon in the top-left of the Cayin Music app and the select Exit and OK. That completely shuts down the Cayin Music app.
As I think someone else already mentioned (likely in the post right above mine), that if you expand the playback notification it will have a little x for you to close it out there. Alternatively, do it from inside the app. Open the menu from the left hand side and hit close or exit there. It will close it for real. At least with the built in cayin or hiby apps. Most others you can usually close out from the expanded playback notification.

Apr 9, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #3,994 of 8,194
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 10, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #3,996 of 8,194
Apr 10, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #3,998 of 8,194
Apr 10, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #3,999 of 8,194
E02 Fully Balanced Audio Motherboard

Cayin announced the E02 Audio Motherboard today (10 April 2020). This is the fourth Audio Motherboard for N6ii DAP with dual ES9038Q2M DA, fully balanced design, fully discrete headphone amplification and an unamplified, clean line out. The Audio Motherboard can decode upto 32Bit/384kHz and DSD256, and it will handle SACD-ISO and DST encoded directly.

Design and Features

The A01 and T01 are full-featured Audio Motherboard with versatile choice of outputs such as 3.5mm and 4.4mm phone out, and dedicated 3.5mm line out. From there on, we take a bit of risk and offered an Audio Motherboard with only ONE feature: ultimate single-ended headphone. We were skeptical whether this old-school “do one thing at a time and do it right” approach will work for the portable community, and we were overwhelmed by the response of media and users. So we shall continue our vision to offer ultimate solution for niche group users.

Inevitably, there are a lot of users preferred balanced amplification, some of them want to stick with their existing earphones (or aftermarket cables) that are terminated for balanced application. For this reason, we decided to develop an Audio Motherboard that share the same “best of the best” vision of E01 with fully differential design.

E02 Audio Motherboard FRONT.jpg

E02 deploys dual ES9038Q2M in mono mode (configured to current output), each DAC chipset decodes one channel independently. Since the complete circuit is in fully differential design, so we have installed 4-channels IV convertors, two dual channels LPF, two dual channels line drivers. The headphone amplification circuit is Cayin’s another ultimate solution for DAP users: 4 channels high power discrete components Class AB amplification.

Fully Discrete Balanced Headphone Amplification

We have implemented 4-channels, fully discrete, high power low noise headphone amplification circuit in E02 Audio Motherboard. The R&D effort to develop an discrete component based circuit is a lot more tedious and time consuming because that involve a lot of fine tuning to select and manipulate the operation parameters of each components. By adjusting the gain and operation current of the low-noise audio grade JFET (Junction gate Field-Effect Transistor) and BJT (Bipolar Junction Transistor), we have a lot of flexibility to tune the performance and sound signature of the circuit.

The E02 is rated at 600mW @32ohm loading, this is a lot of power for portable DAP, even higher than the corresponding output of A01 and T01. The N6ii (E02) can drive relatively demanding load, and handle complicated music with ease. Music with wide dynamic range will be reproduced with authority and amazing details. The outstanding frequency extension and transient, wide and holographic soundstage will offer a whole new experience on selected music genres.

E02 PCB Layout.jpg

Please be reminded that the JFET and BJT of E02 required 5-10 minutes (depends on room temperature and playback setting) to settle down in optimum operation condition. This is more or less a given requirement for discrete components based audio circuit.

A Line-level Balanced Line Out

As indicated in the block diagram below, the output from line driver is optimized for balanced line out. In fact, the balanced line out of E02 is the first 10kΩ output impedance unamplified balanced line out among N6ii Audio Motherboard lineup. This is significantly different from the balanced line out of A01 and T01, as they are merely fixed level output from amplified headphone output. If you intend to use N6ii as balanced line source for desktop or speaker-based audio system, or want to bundle N6ii with portable balanced headphone amplifier as “exotic” portable rig, the E02 is your long awaited solution.

E02 Functional Diagram.jpg

Last but not least, the Line out of E02 is adjustable among 2.2V, 3.2V and 4.1V. The final 4.1V is the de facto standard and is the setting we recommend if you want to connect N6ii(E02) to most desktop audio products. We are aware that portable amplifiers span over a very wide range of amplification gain, and a lower line out level might better with these high gain high input sensitivity amplifiers, therefore we offer selectable line out level to enhance connectivity of E02.

Interchanging phone out and line out and setting output level of line out are available through pull down user manual.

Battery Duration and Specification

E02 Specification.jpg

The suggested retail price of E02 is US$419 and is available by 13 April 2020. Unfortunately we are facing major difficult in arranging shipment to our International dealers, there are serious delays in logistic all over the world right now, so the actual availability might vary, please consult your Cayin dealer for more detail.

Last edited:

Apr 10, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #4,001 of 8,194
Sure ... was more or less a question to the cayin crew :wink:

I have tried my best to avoid subjective opinion towards our own products in past few years, always let users and reviewers to cover that part :wink:

Apr 10, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #4,002 of 8,194
E02-ENG_02.jpg

Last edited:

Apr 10, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #4,004 of 8,194
In terms of power, which one has more? E01 or E02?? Sorry if question is too noob, but it will be helpful off someone could answer. I already have the E01, so just trying to understand whether I could find a used case for the E02 or not.

Cheers,
Vishy
Both are discrete amplification designs, but max power output into 32ohms is 4x higher on E02 at 600mW. I expect the E02 will have much more headroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back