Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Mar 27, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #3,931 of 8,213
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 27, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #3,932 of 8,213
Thanks, Simon. I imported it into the UK from Zeppelin & Co who are in Singapore. I pinged them on Facebook Messenger and they sent a PayPal invoice. Delivery via FedEx was within one week. Really great service from them. Here's their website:

https://zeppelinandco.com

Zepp is our Singapore dealer and a very nice shop, always spend an afternoon there when I visit Singapore.

Mar 27, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #3,933 of 8,213
Mar 27, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #3,935 of 8,213
Wew , close call.

They do have some very, very lovely audio kit in their shop. Their website is a work of art too. I wish they were in the UK but the prices and delivery costs were not too bad, and delivery in six days from Singapore to the UK in the current global coronavirus situation is very good. I have no commercial affiliation with them whatsoever, I'm just a satisfied customer.

Mar 27, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #3,936 of 8,213

got this pic somewhere, 9038q2m*2

Missing from you pic was the portable power back required to power those 2 dacs longer than an hour :D

ezg3000uk-groupe-electrogene-essence-de-chantier.jpg

Mar 27, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #3,938 of 8,213
Mar 28, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #3,939 of 8,213
Mar 28, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #3,940 of 8,213
They modded two of my Cowon daps.

I am thinking to jump back with cayin n6ii amp t01 and Romi Audio said they can do something good with T01, I do love the pcm 1792 that sounds just so good. And its very close to wm1z sound too.

I also just got the sony zx507 but the crap out of it why it has no bit perfect is just killing me !!!

I am selling that and getting back to cayin n6ii , I still do have my wm1z :) that one is my precious!

Mar 28, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #3,941 of 8,213
Thinking about getting the N6ii so I'm also interested in your impressions!

Please let us know your experiences on N6ii with both A01 and E01 via the Xelento. Thanks in advance!

Here are some early impressions with Cayin N6ii + E01 module with Beyerdynamic Xelento IEMs. Source music was CD-quality (16-bit 44.1kHz)FLAC files stored locally on the micro-SD in the N6ii. I'll do the A01 review another time as I want to spend some time evaluating the E01 sound with the Xelentos. The music player software that I used was the Cayin Music app. Audio settings were:

Amp: Class A
PCM filter: Hybrid
DSD filter: IIR 47K
Gain: Medium

The volume set at 38 was perfect for me in a very quiet nighttime environment. The music genre was mostly smooth jazz. I did listen to a few male and female vocals, but it was mostly instrumental music.

The recording itself needs to be very good to get the most out of the Cayin N6ii + E01 + Xelento combination. Burn-in of the E01 module is around 24 hours. Burn-in of the Cayin N6ii is at around 50 hours now. Burn-in of the Xelentos is at 16 hours.

The key to getting good sound out of this combo is the fit of the Xelentos. The tips are specially shaped. You need to read the instructions on how to fit them correctly. I didn't read the instructions so was disappointed with the sound and went for the Comply foam tips. After some time, and after reading the instructions, I went back to the silicone tips and the sound completely changed.

Around one hour into the listening, I was becoming drawn into the music. I was discovering more and more instruments located in different parts of the sound stage. The layering of the music is something to behold. The effortless presentation took my breath away on some tracks. Now, for comparison, I used to have a pair of Amiron Homes. The bass on those was skull-tingling. I don't quite get that with the Xelentos. BUT...what I do get is the most exquisite sub-bass I have ever heard. I have a pair of beerdynamic T1.2 over-ears driven by an Arcam rhead amp. I don't get this level of sub-bass delivered with such finesse with those.

The texture of this sub-bass is so rounded and smooth that it is a beautiful contrast to the rasping texture of instruments like trumpets and saxophones, and vocals. The levels of detail, clarity, presentation, finesse and air delivered kept me going deeper into the songs, making new discoveries and feeling wonderment at how beautiful the music was. The enjoyment was so much that I had to force myself to stop listening after several hours as the time was reaching the early hours of the morning.

Music is all about emotional involvement for me. I have no interest in the graphs or measurements of a device. The emotional involvement produced by the synergy of the entire audio chain is the only thing that matters to me when listening to music. This combo delivers in heaps, and to the point that my dedicated bedtime listening system (N6ii + A01 feeding my Arcam rHead amp feeding my beyerdynamic T1.2 headphones) is now redundant, in that my N6ii + E01 + beyerdynamic Xelentos will serve as my portable system and my bedtime listening system. The additional benefit is that the Xelentos are more comfortable to wear in bed.

I'm hoping with more burn-in of all of the components, the sound will get even better. To put all of this into context, I returned my recent pair of Sennheiser HD 660 S headphones as the sound simply wasn't good enough for me.

And just for reference, my RHA T20 IEMs sound better with the A01 module as I tried those with both A01 and E01.

Mar 28, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #3,942 of 8,213
Has anyone tried to use the graphic EQ with WAV files in Cayin Music or Hiby Music app? It appears there’s no change in sound at all when playing with EQ. However, with other file formats, the EQ works.

Mar 29, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #3,943 of 8,213
I am a little confused is amp t01
using a Burr-Brown pcm1792a
or its a different dac type similar to r2r2k?

I saw opus#3 has pcm1792a but it states Burr-Brown ....

Mar 29, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #3,944 of 8,213
Has anyone tried to use the graphic EQ with WAV files in Cayin Music or Hiby Music app? It appears there’s no change in sound at all when playing with EQ. However, with other file formats, the EQ works.

Because our EQ can't handle sampling frequency above 48kHz

Mar 29, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #3,945 of 8,213
Here are some early impressions with Cayin N6ii + E01 module with Beyerdynamic Xelento IEMs. Source music was CD-quality (16-bit 44.1kHz)FLAC files stored locally on the micro-SD in the N6ii. I'll do the A01 review another time as I want to spend some time evaluating the E01 sound with the Xelentos. The music player software that I used was the Cayin Music app. Audio settings were:

Amp: Class A
PCM filter: Hybrid
DSD filter: IIR 47K
Gain: Medium

The volume set at 38 was perfect for me in a very quiet nighttime environment. The music genre was mostly smooth jazz. I did listen to a few male and female vocals, but it was mostly instrumental music.

The recording itself needs to be very good to get the most out of the Cayin N6ii + E01 + Xelento combination. Burn-in of the E01 module is around 24 hours. Burn-in of the Cayin N6ii is at around 50 hours now. Burn-in of the Xelentos is at 16 hours.

The key to getting good sound out of this combo is the fit of the Xelentos. The tips are specially shaped. You need to read the instructions on how to fit them correctly. I didn't read the instructions so was disappointed with the sound and went for the Comply foam tips. After some time, and after reading the instructions, I went back to the silicone tips and the sound completely changed.

Around one hour into the listening, I was becoming drawn into the music. I was discovering more and more instruments located in different parts of the sound stage. The layering of the music is something to behold. The effortless presentation took my breath away on some tracks. Now, for comparison, I used to have a pair of Amiron Homes. The bass on those was skull-tingling. I don't quite get that with the Xelentos. BUT...what I do get is the most exquisite sub-bass I have ever heard. I have a pair of beerdynamic T1.2 over-ears driven by an Arcam rhead amp. I don't get this level of sub-bass delivered with such finesse with those.

The texture of this sub-bass is so rounded and smooth that it is a beautiful contrast to the rasping texture of instruments like trumpets and saxophones, and vocals. The levels of detail, clarity, presentation, finesse and air delivered kept me going deeper into the songs, making new discoveries and feeling wonderment at how beautiful the music was. The enjoyment was so much that I had to force myself to stop listening after several hours as the time was reaching the early hours of the morning.

Music is all about emotional involvement for me. I have no interest in the graphs or measurements of a device. The emotional involvement produced by the synergy of the entire audio chain is the only thing that matters to me when listening to music. This combo delivers in heaps, and to the point that my dedicated bedtime listening system (N6ii + A01 feeding my Arcam rHead amp feeding my beyerdynamic T1.2 headphones) is now redundant, in that my N6ii + E01 + beyerdynamic Xelentos will serve as my portable system and my bedtime listening system. The additional benefit is that the Xelentos are more comfortable to wear in bed.

I'm hoping with more burn-in of all of the components, the sound will get even better. To put all of this into context, I returned my recent pair of Sennheiser HD 660 S headphones as the sound simply wasn't good enough for me.

And just for reference, my RHA T20 IEMs sound better with the A01 module as I tried those with both A01 and E01.

This is very helpful, keep this coming :beerchug:

Haven't heard the Xelentos with E01, but if it can replace your T1.2 setup, that would be more then impressive to me. Besides, 24 hours on E01 module and 16 hours on Xelentos means there are rooms for further burn-in. Your subsequent A01 vs E01 with Xelentos will be very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back