Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Dec 10, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #2,971 of 8,193
To say if the DAP is warm, neutral, bright, etc you have to have a reference / neutral "uncolored" type of IEM/HP.
In my case this is S-EM6 V2. I would not call n6ii very warm (A01), I would rather call it "full bodied" from lows to highs,
To me it is pretty balanced with a slight mid bass emphasis. I don't find treble rolled off either.
Т01 to me is more dry and thinner in that regard with a slight sub bass/treble emphasis.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #2,972 of 8,193
To say if the DAP is warm, neutral, bright, etc you have to have a reference / neutral "uncolored" type of IEM/HP.
In my case this is S-EM6 V2. I would not call n6ii very warm (A01), I would rather call it "full bodied" from lows to highs,
To me it is pretty balanced with a slight mid bass emphasis. I don't find treble rolled off either.
Т01 to me is more dry and thinner in that regard with a slight sub bass/treble emphasis.

Using ier-z1r and comparing n6ii a01 and t01 vs wm1z . That was my test.

Dec 10, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #2,973 of 8,193
Thanks a lot for your DAP charts! My list - just from reading - is similar. I‘m not into streaming yet, but I might some day (Qobuz). So the Wifi issues of the N6ii cause attention.

If I or you guys could convince me that ”warm“ with the N8 just would mean fun and pleasant but not more, then the N8 would be my choice, though expensive. It is most complete regarding cabled connectivity and assorted cables. I might dream then that it could be used in my home setup (Senn HD 800S and Beyer T1.2 driven by Violectric HPA 281) as a second DAC in addition to my Chord Hugo 2, which I would call ”reference“. Thus making for two different sound signatures at home. Plus, the N8 would be used away from home with the Beyer Xelento. Nice dream, if I could ensure the N8 SQ is for me ... auditioning here (Germany) looks difficult.

The Sony WM1Z European volume limiter is a knock-out, unless one could download (via VPN) a U.S. or Japanese firmware (language?) and get rid of the limiter. Any experience out there?

Anyway, you guys at head-fi are most helpful - thanks! Looking forward to receive more feedback.
There is a tool online , to disable the volume limiter . Just google a bit

Dec 10, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #2,975 of 8,193
Thanks a lot for your DAP charts! My list - just from reading - is similar. I‘m not into streaming yet, but I might some day (Qobuz). So the Wifi issues of the N6ii cause attention.

If I or you guys could convince me that ”warm“ with the N8 just would mean fun and pleasant but not more, then the N8 would be my choice, though expensive. It is most complete regarding cabled connectivity and assorted cables. I might dream then that it could be used in my home setup (Senn HD 800S and Beyer T1.2 driven by Violectric HPA 281) as a second DAC in addition to my Chord Hugo 2, which I would call ”reference“. Thus making for two different sound signatures at home. Plus, the N8 would be used away from home with the Beyer Xelento. Nice dream, if I could ensure the N8 SQ is for me ... auditioning here (Germany) looks difficult.

The Sony WM1Z European volume limiter is a knock-out, unless one could download (via VPN) a U.S. or Japanese firmware (language?) and get rid of the limiter. Any experience out there?

Anyway, you guys at head-fi are most helpful - thanks! Looking forward to receive more feedback.
https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

Dec 10, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #2,978 of 8,193
Laid back and super smooth. Not got the attack of A01 Or T01 and it's a real close your eyes and listen card more than listen to music whilst doing something else if that makes sense. It has gorgeous treble detail and plenty of bass weight but at the moment the vocals are on the thin side. I'm only running in Class A at the moment.

Phil, what headphones/earphones are you using in this testing? Also, how many burn in hours do you have on E01? More info would be helpful, bud :wink:

Dec 10, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #2,981 of 8,193
Does it run headphones ok?

Dec 10, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #2,983 of 8,193
Does it play music?
20191208_233832.jpg

Dec 10, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #2,984 of 8,193

Users who are viewing this thread

Back