Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Aug 27, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #1,681 of 8,192
I know it is hard to decide to buy either DX220 or N6ii as it was my case before. Finally I did pull the trigger on DX220 because I own DX200TI and want pair with amp9. However, I was curious wanting to listen to N6ii and bought it.
I love the SQ of both DAPs everyday they are breaking in. Four your situation you can wisely choose by audition both and listen to them with your own ears.

I wish that was a feasible option for me - I’m not sure where I could auction these, more-so i’m not sure of a retailer who would allow me to purchase both, break them in and then return on. Any suggestions? :)

Aug 27, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #1,682 of 8,192
I'll give my take. I've owned the DX220, DX200Ti, and N6ii. I've also owned many other DAPs. It really depends on your tastes. The DX220 is very reference, which brings a reference sound signature. You could call it boring, lifeless, or whatever you want. Some people love it.

I prefer the DX200Ti over the DX220. It is warmer and more analogue sounding.

Then there is the N6ii. Very lively but warm with a lot of detail. I think it gets fatiguing sometimes because it is so lively. The power output is superior on the N6ii than any other DAP I've owned. Even tough it is rated lower than the AMP8 I still get more adjustable volume range with my stock N6ii.

So pick your poison. What are your listening preferences? I choose the N6ii but now I have a WM1Z and reach for that more often because of the signature.

Hope that helps.

Very helpful, thank you for that - For my case particularly I’m looking for a DAP for Tidal MQA/Offline and a selection of my collection to use on the onboard memory+SD that has a good EQ. I’m wondering if the DX220 with tube amp may balance the reference sound signature with a warmer more balanced sound signature?

Regardless the Cayin still looks like a good value, I wonder when we’ll see full MQA support

Aug 27, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #1,684 of 8,192
Very helpful, thank you for that - For my case particularly I’m looking for a DAP for Tidal MQA/Offline and a selection of my collection to use on the onboard memory+SD that has a good EQ. I’m wondering if the DX220 with tube amp may balance the reference sound signature with a warmer more balanced sound signature?

Regardless the Cayin still looks like a good value, I wonder when we’ll see full MQA support
I would pick the Cayin personally. I don't think AMP 9 will make that much of a difference in warming up the DX220. The AMP9 is a more linear sounding tube amp than the warm gooey old school tube amps. I had the AMP9 with my DX200Ti. It sounded great but wasn't gooey if you know what I mean.

Aug 27, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #1,685 of 8,192
@stereonerd It looks like the Tidal app decodes MQA as master on the N6ii.... I think it would offline too with the app. It's not optimal, but MQA is lossy anyway, so not that huge IMO. Go buy your favorite albums in DSD or hirez FLAC and enjoy.

IMG_20190827_201416.jpg

Aug 27, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #1,686 of 8,192
I would pick the Cayin personally. I don't think AMP 9 will make that much of a difference in warming up the DX220. The AMP9 is a more linear sounding tube amp than the warm gooey old school tube amps. I had the AMP9 with my DX200Ti. It sounded great but wasn't gooey if you know what I mean.

I do know what you mean and thank you for the extra info :) Have you used the EQ on the DX220? How’s it compare to the Cayin?

Aug 27, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #1,687 of 8,192
@stereonerd It looks like the Tidal app decodes MQA as master on the N6ii.... I think it would offline too with the app. It's not optimal, but MQA is lossy anyway, so not that huge IMO. Go buy your favorite albums in DSD or hirez FLAC and enjoy.

Good to know and see! I own quite a few DSD/HDTracks albums - too many in fact, which is why for my portable rig I want to be truly portable and use Tidal exclusively for MQA, save a few of my favorites in the on-board memory

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #1,688 of 8,192
I do know what you mean and thank you for the extra info :) Have you used the EQ on the DX220? How’s it compare to the Cayin?
Both have the EQ in the apps they use for playback. EQ is not system wide. Mango for DX220 and a modified Hiby version called Cayin Music on the N6ii. Tidal doesn't have EQ yet. One advantage that the DX220 has is a music only mode called Mango system, I know confusing because their Android mode player is called Mango too. But in Mango system you can supposedly decode MQA too. I still like the sound signature of the N6ii better. The cool thing about Android is you can download any app you like and use it on either player. I use UAPP and Neutron Player a lot. They have much better EQ.

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #1,689 of 8,192
Good to know and see! I own quite a few DSD/HDTracks albums - too many in fact, which is why for my portable rig I want to be truly portable and use Tidal exclusively for MQA, save a few of my favorites in the on-board memory
And it decodes up to 96k too. I just found an MQA album that's in 96k and the system indicates it is playing a 96k file.

IMG_20190827_212405.jpg

Aug 28, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #1,690 of 8,192
Has anybody compared the SQ of the N6II to the Sony WM1A?

Aug 28, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #1,691 of 8,192
Has anybody compared the SQ of the N6II to the Sony WM1A?
I have the WM1Z and N6ii. Similar tuning but the WM1Z is a bit more refined. The N6ii is a slight bit punchier and has a better amp section. The transitions on the Sony are more refined, less glare and the note edges are smother.

I've not heard the WM1A but the WM1Z is superior from what I've read. Hopefully that gives you a point of reference.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #1,692 of 8,192
I had the WM1Z and its much warmer than the N6II . Plus you must use the WM1Z to get any power and its stupid heavy.

Aug 28, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #1,693 of 8,192
I just seem to find the WM1A struggles a bit with the IER-Z1R, especially in bass heavy tracks. The WM1Z is out of my budget so the N6II was in the thought process.

Aug 28, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #1,694 of 8,192
I just seem to find the WM1A struggles a bit with the IER-Z1R, especially in bass heavy tracks. The WM1Z is out of my budget so the N6II was in the thought process.
Add a portable amp.

Aug 28, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #1,695 of 8,192
I think you would be very happy with the N6ii. It has a great sound signature.

Just an FYI Musicteck has an open box for a pretty good discount.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back