Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792 / Dual Mono / 24-192 / DSD128 / SACD ISO
May 18, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #992 of 1,977
I have written down the Velvet as one of my finalists for the next step up and the last step for high end iems...my gut tells me they would go absolutely 

beautifully with the Cayin. I have been getting somewhere around 6 or so hours on the battery so that's nothing to complain about. I have also enjoyed

it as a usb/dac...it does sound very good even with mp3's. I even tried it out (line out) in the subaru outback yesterday and it produces a nice clear sound

and even tightened up the bass considerably....also plenty of gain.

I used it with the Denon D5000 and it went plenty loud...for example, Thin Lizzy's "Jailbreak" plenty loud at 40 on the dial out of 100 for full blast!

Okay, it's not balanced but you get a decent Swiss army knife of a very good Dap....

May 18, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #993 of 1,977
I find the N6 fairly neutral, not overly bright or warm. It's a bit warmer than the X5 and a bit less 'forward' and certainly not flat / boring like the iPod classic 120gb I have. Overall it's got a nice balance to the frequency range that's pleasant to listen to.

There, review finished. Lol! :)

May 18, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #994 of 1,977
.................. [snip]

I used it with the Denon D5000 and it went plenty loud...for example, Thin Lizzy's "Jailbreak" plenty loud at 40 on the dial out of 100 for full blast!

Okay, it's not balanced but you get a decent Swiss army knife of a very good Dap....

Yeah, I found the N6 to be quite powerful. I'd say 15% more than the X5 after volume matching best I could using test tones and music.

May 18, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #996 of 1,977
  a ui question:

i have my music organized by folder, as much as 6 folder levels deep.  does the n6 have a directory function that will allow me to use this structure?  i.e. to go 6 levels down and pick a folder and play the tracks in that folder.

any help with this?

May 18, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #997 of 1,977
  any help with this?

Yes, I too only use folder structure on all of my daps.
I think the deepest I went was 4 folders deep and it worked fine.
The folder navigation is quick and makes sense on the n6.

It also has the added benefit that you dont have to update your library to utilize folder mode.  It simply displays what is on the card, as opposed to the other library nodes which require you to scan details in for obvious reasons.

I know this is not the only dap to do this, however many require you to scan the library regardless, which can be a pain if you have a huge collection or multiple SD cards that you swap in and out.

May 18, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #998 of 1,977

Yes, I too only use folder structure on all of my daps.
I think the deepest I went was 4 folders deep and it worked fine.
The folder navigation is quick and makes sense on the n6.

It also has the added benefit that you dont have to update your library to utilize folder mode.  It simply displays what is on the card, as opposed to the other library nodes which require you to scan details in for obvious reasons.

I know this is not the only dap to do this, however many require you to scan the library regardless, which can be a pain if you have a huge collection or multiple SD cards that you swap in and out.

thank you.  

i'm currently using a dx90 which works fine with folders and also doesn't require a scan if only using "directory" instead of "library."  thinking about an upgrade, i eliminated the qls qa360 currently on massdrop because apparently it will only handle 2-deep folders.  i'm obviously considering an n6 [or i wouldn't be following this thread] and i'm glad to hear i needn't cross it off my list.  all the praise here makes it very attractive.

May 18, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #999 of 1,977
just bought the N6. I am quite satisfied with its sound quality. I agree that n6 is good at retrieval of details. I like it a lot. However, I tried some APE and SACD ISO files without success (already update V2 fw).

May 18, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #1,000 of 1,977
just bought the N6. I am quite satisfied with its sound quality. I agree that n6 is good at retrieval of details. I like it a lot. However, I tried some APE and SACD ISO files without success (already update V2 fw).

ISO package in two forms, namely DSD and DST, for DST format is cannot extract, this we are sorry, maybe you can by FOOBAR to convert a package format.

Need to explain is that many ISO DST format is 5.1 channel audio files (based on some live concert). For such a document, N6 cannot decode, he need is AV system, rather than the hifi system.

Hereby, I hope this information is useful to you, thank you!

May 18, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #1,001 of 1,977
Thomas, thank you for swift reply.
I normally convert the iso to dsf to be played in n6. I did just try iso for my curiosity, not a issue for me.
Continue your good work. I enjoy n6 a lot.
will be waiting for new fw update if any.

May 19, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #1,002 of 1,977
Did anyone A/B the N6 with the DX100?
I had the chance to audition the DX100 for several weeks and was quite impressed by its synergy with my NT6 Pro.
I'd like to know how it compares against the N6

May 20, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #1,003 of 1,977
Did anyone A/B the N6 with the DX100?
I had the chance to audition the DX100 for several weeks and was quite impressed by its synergy with my NT6 Pro.
I'd like to know how it compares against the N6

Hey pondu, I'm on the n6 tour so I will be able to tell you how it pairs with the nt6pro in the next month or so if you can wait. Haven't found a dx100 to compare yet

May 20, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #1,004 of 1,977
Hello Everyone,

This is the official account of Cayin and we are glad to meet you here.

We are glad to see that you enjoyed our N6 music player and have discussions over here about the performance and what we shall do better in future. We are really appreciated for that. We also see that you have a discussion with Thomas Lbyy from our Company. If future if you have any questions or suggestions to us you can also PM me or send emails to my email address sales01@cayin.cn. 

Thanks very much to you all.  

Best regards,

Cayin Team

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 20, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #1,005 of 1,977
  Hello Everyone,

This is the official account of Cayin and we are glad to meet you here.

We are glad to see that you enjoyed our N6 music player and have discussions over here about the performance and what we shall do better in future. We are really appreciated for that. We also see that you have a discussion with Thomas Lbyy from our Company. If future if you have any questions or suggestions to us you can also PM me or send emails to my email address sales01@cayin.cn. 

Thanks very much to you all.  

Best regards,

Cayin Team

Today, very happy can finally speak with you, CAYIN has its own ID account on HEAD-FI, we hope that there is a formal and correct way to let everyone know the brand and CAYIN CAYIN products, and strive to provide better service.

Of course, I will still be here. Follow comments or questions to every user of the proposed use of CAYIN products, and I am committed to improvement and directional explore products and maintain communication with you. And mobilize resources to achieve as much as possible. this is one of my main tasks.

Today we are in the HEAD-FI product range is still limited, but in my plan, in 2015 we have a new DESK-FI and HEAD-FI products launched, as we prepared to do a 22-year tube amplifier, CD player, etc., we will thoroughly demonstrated the strength of our research and development, quality assurance standards and understanding of sound, and the user is the only thing we focus on strength.

I would like to, CAYIN will bring you more, and I look forward to continue to have new friends to join, and then told everyone to learn and to progress.

Thanks everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back