Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792 / Dual Mono / 24-192 / DSD128 / SACD ISO
May 16, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #976 of 1,977
When demoing the N6 I also found an unexpected change in the sound upgrading to 2.0. Less holographic and less boomy in the bass as well. More cohesive.

May 17, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #977 of 1,977
I didn't notice any difference in sound between FW. I had no problems after using it for 5-6 hours a day for the past 3 months. I wish it would have bigger inside flash memory. That's all.

May 17, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #978 of 1,977
The difference in soundstage is not subtle,everything is more closed in and in your face.I can see someone prefering the more energetic signature of v.2.0,as for me rolling back to 1.1.Shame about the battery drain but this is head fi, sound quality before battery any day.

May 17, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #979 of 1,977
Happy new owner of a Cayin N6. Bought one some time ago, just finished burning it in, and, though it's a bit early yet for a definitive opinion, I really like what I'm hearing
smily_headphones1.gif

Couple of suggestions for UI improvement (IMHO) @Thomas lbyy:

1) on "Now Playing" screen, right now what you get is the scrolling name of the file, and some (useful) info about sampling rate etc, in addition to album picture (if setting is on for that). It would be very nice if you could somehow, somewhere, also have info about the artist and album title (I'm used to the Ibasso DX50/90 UI, my files are named only with "TrackNo - Title.ext", and sometimes, especially when playing new music in random order, it's not easy to KNOW who/what you're listening to, especially if the album cover isn't particularly known/revealing etc). If it's difficult/complicated to add this info on the now playing screen (or it might be downright ugly, it should be tried) etc., maybe another function somewhere on the menu to have info on the specific track playing (like, file, title, album, artist, codec, sampling rate, bits etc)? If the option is already there and I've not found it yet, I'd be thankful to anybody kind enough to point me in the right direction, of course:)

2) selecting music through Music Category ==> Artist: it would be really nice to have a further level after artist, and before songs, for each album by artist.

May 17, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #981 of 1,977
Looking for a new DAP.. This player is one of the ones on my shortlist.
2 questions:
1 Can this player handle multiple  genres? 
I use Squeezeboxes at home and they (the server) handle genres seperated by semi colon like this: Alternative Rock;Live;Swedish;00s  as an example.
That track would show up in the list of the 4 different genres. I find it quite usefull for querying, playing shuffled etc..

This would also require that if you select the genre, you get a list of albums, artists and not a long list of songs.
Or if you select an Artist - You get a list of the albums and not a list of all songs which isn't very useful if you have many albums from the same artist.

I've searched but not found an answer to this in the thread, anyone know ?

So:
1. Will genres separated by semi colon work and show up in separated genres?
2. Is there more than one level to the browsing, e.g. artist/album - Genre/artist or genre/album etc..

May 18, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #982 of 1,977
I am planning to get N6 as an upgrade to my DX50 which to me looks like softer/rolled off on either extremes in Highs and Lows ,so to me it sounds less energetic and dry though it is a good SQ2P

Lookign at N6 now, Reviews suggest  N6 has a flat bass, does it respond better with an EQ on bass or is it void of bass impact even after EQ ?
Reviews also suggest about N6 polite treble, does it sparkle when needed or will it be dry sounding ?

On comparability with AK 120 ii and AK 240 which are 3-5  times the price, is N6 comparable/side grade to them or do the AKs  are clearly superior to N6 ?

May 18, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #983 of 1,977
I am planning to get N6 as an upgrade to my DX50 which to me looks like softer/rolled off on either extremes in Highs and Lows ,so to me it sounds less energetic and dry though it is a good SQ2P

Lookign at N6 now, Reviews suggest  N6 has a flat bass, does it respond better with an EQ on bass or is it void of bass impact even after EQ ?
Reviews also suggest about N6 polite treble, does it sparkle when needed or will it be dry sounding ?

On comparability with AK 120 ii and AK 240 which are 3-5  times the price, is N6 comparable/side grade to them or do the AKs  are clearly superior to N6 ?

To my ears the n6 is energetic with plenty of detail and resolution in the highs. I certainly did not look for more sparkle.

Regarding the bass, I have never felt my ref1s hit as hard as with the n6. Yes there is no emphasis on the bass, it is very neutral, but certainly does not lack body or thump.

As such I never felt the need for sq so I cannot comment on that sorry.

The only down side I encountered with the n6 was the form factor. It is on the big side, particularly if you are coming from the dx90/50.

Regarding where it sits with reference to the ak series, I would say it sits between the ak100ii and ak120ii for sq, if not on the ak120ii level.
However the trade off is a bigger dap that functions as a dap (and USB DAC) and not a microwave, motorcycle and pair of pliers like the ak daps do.

May 18, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #984 of 1,977
a ui question:

i have my music organized by folder, as much as 6 folder levels deep.  does the n6 have a directory function that will allow me to use this structure?  i.e. to go 6 levels down and pick a folder and play the tracks in that folder.

May 18, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #985 of 1,977
Holy!!!Does the n6 get hot when you use it while charging...A little hotter and you could boil an egg(I kid).Hopping there won't be any side effect if you do this for a long time although it has aluminum chassis for heat dissipation.

May 18, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #987 of 1,977

.......On comparability with AK 120 ii and AK 240 which are 3-5  times the price, is N6 comparable/side grade to them or do the AKs  are clearly superior to N6 ?

Regarding where it sits with reference to the ak series, I would say it sits between the ak100ii and ak120ii for sq, if not on the ak120ii level.
However the trade off is a bigger dap that functions as a dap (and USB DAC) and not a microwave, motorcycle and pair of pliers like the ak daps do.

On a pure sound quality, retrieval of details due to its brighter more analytical nature puts N6 ahead of smoother/detailed sound of AK120ii.  Just a matter of personal opinion and synergy with headphones you are using.  N6 works better with neutral and warmer tonality headphones, while AK120ii pairs up better with neutral and brighter tonality headphones.

May 18, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #988 of 1,977
On a pure sound quality, retrieval of details due to its brighter more analytical nature puts N6 ahead of smoother/detailed sound of AK120ii.  Just a matter of personal opinion and synergy with headphones you are using.  N6 works better with neutral and warmer tonality headphones, while AK120ii pairs up better with neutral and brighter tonality headphones.

I can agree with that

May 18, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #990 of 1,977
Thanks Wyd4, twister6 and peareye on your responses. I have Earsonics Velvet in balanced mode and I am in a mission to find a good DAP now.

Don't want QLS360 and HM901 as they don't have EQ even though many love them for what they are without an EQ, not into buying AKs for their prices to performance or Calyx M for lower battery life, not planning to get X5 or DX90 as I needed to a better upgrade than those

Hence I am torn between a $600 Cayin M or even considering to get an used Chord Hugo which wil lbe 3 times than a new Cayin M as long as Hugo can make even MP3s sound good for the price we pay.

For MP3 quality songs which I have many, will Cayin M be closer to AK 120 ii or will there be a clear difference in sound even for MP3 recording ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back