Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792 / Dual Mono / 24-192 / DSD128 / SACD ISO
Nov 11, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #1,546 of 1,977
Ya, battery sucks. My understanding is it is caused by that beautiful sounding amp. To get the sound, you pay the battery price. No tricks to my knowledge, other than plug it in whenever you can.

Correct. And thanks. Will charge my powerbank and try to recharge N6.

Nov 16, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #1,547 of 1,977
Just purchased the n6 today waiting for it to arrive question though in you guys best opinion what are some of the best sound settings on the n6 or better yet what do you guys have your sound settings on like low or high gain eq settings, do you have it on sharp etc etc I'm looking for deep and good bass impact..

Nov 16, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #1,548 of 1,977
Just purchased the n6 today waiting for it to arrive question though in you guys best opinion what are some of the best sound settings on the n6 or better yet what do you guys have your sound settings on like low or high gain eq settings, do you have it on sharp etc etc I'm looking for deep and good bass impact..

I never needed to use Cayin N6 in high gain, its quite the powerhouse, from the tank like metal casing and huge 5600mah battery it means business with its internal amp section. I don't think I ever went past 45 out of 100 on the volume. You'll just know when it arrives its an animal, a brute of a product. As for the filters just play with them, your ears will tell you.

It does have excellent bass texture and its tight.

Nov 16, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #1,549 of 1,977
My Cayin N6 has no problem playing loud with my full size headphones: Denon D5000 and MM400...only when i want to crank out the rock do i go near

40 to 60 on the volume...for my iems, usually only around 20!  Use low gain setting for relax and analogue sound...high gain has a  little too much tension

for my liking...

And I also use it as a DAC from my MacBook Pro and sometimes in the car from it's LineOut ....quite versatile.

Nov 16, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #1,552 of 1,977
Yu copy it to you sd card, turn off the unit and restart by holding power and up (I think???). Or maybe power and right. Some combo like that. You know it is right when a loading bar shows up.

Nov 16, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #1,554 of 1,977
thanks
beerchug.gif

My pleasure! You are in for a real treat with the n6. For the money, you can't get a better sounding unit, if you like a quality neutral signature - IMO, YMMV, yadda yadda....nope, it's the best​ 

Nov 16, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #1,555 of 1,977
My pleasure! You are in for a real treat with the n6. For the money, you can't get a better sounding unit, if you like a quality neutral signature - IMO, YMMV, yadda yadda....nope, it's the best​ 
Hopefully I will easily tell the difference between this and the dx50,was going to get the ak120 but decided on the n6.

Nov 18, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #1,556 of 1,977
Good day

Im loving the sound of some DSD from native DSD on this unit . ive spent a few days of headaches tho trying to convert DSD 256 to a

format N6 supports ( Then i  read only up to DSD 128 so i feel silly . A ways back i seen a member report he played DSD 256 on N6 , and i

may have based my purchase on that (well a small part ) .

What i do need tho is a good (cheap or free , AUI is too damn expensive and it took near 40 mintes to convert a 12 minute track ,

conversion program . I ve used the free Tascam , it s just as slow , but its free , but is limited to DSD 128 

Could i seek some advice on alternate conversion softwares ?

And , well im a fickle sod , only a few months in and im asking how much better can a DAP get ( Now since i can get DSD 256 from 

native DSD , but have to down them to 128 .

I seriously love near everything about this DAP Ie Its outputs ,micro sd support of a future estimate of over 1TB , the SOUND obviously

the boot time is a dream compared to my old DX100 which was a night mare of reboot after reboot some xs up to 1/2 hour LOL

Also the SACD iso support is a dream , and a huge selling point decision for me 

But heres some things i wish for and change 

Better battery life , DSD support of 256 or even 512 , dual micro sd slots, balanced output ( i read the new Onkyo will have dual micro sd 

slots and support up  to DSD 256 ,and) balanced output as well ).But i would not sacrifice sound quality , not sacd iso support ,and the

future support of 1tb plus of micro sd.

Are there presently any other daps ( maybe a new improved N6 on way ?) that have sacd iso support ,native  DSD 256 or better  , and 

maybe even balanced out put ? 

In short what are the other dap offerings in the N6 or better with concern to the things i like about and would wish for on N6

Cheers

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #1,557 of 1,977
Good day

Im loving the sound of some DSD from native DSD on this unit . ive spent a few days of headaches tho trying to convert DSD 256 to a

format N6 supports ( Then i  read only up to DSD 128 so i feel silly . A ways back i seen a member report he played DSD 256 on N6 , and i

What i do need tho is a good (cheap or free , AUI is too damn expensive and it took near 40 mintes to convert a 12 minute track ,

conversion program . I ve used the free Tascam , it s just as slow , but its free , but is limited to DSD 128 

And , well im a fickle sod , only a few months in and im asking how much better can a DAP get ( Now since i can get DSD 256 from 

I seriously love near everything about this DAP Ie Its outputs ,micro sd support of a future estimate of over 1TB , the SOUND obviously

the boot time is a dream compared to my old DX100 which was a night mare of reboot after reboot some xs up to 1/2 hour LOL

Better battery life , DSD support of 256 or even 512 , dual micro sd slots, balanced output ( i read the new Onkyo will have dual micro sd 

slots and support up  to DSD 256 ,and) balanced output as well ).But i would not sacrifice sound quality , not sacd iso support ,and the

Are there presently any other daps ( maybe a new improved N6 on way ?) that have sacd iso support ,native  DSD 256 or better  , and 

In short what are the other dap offerings in the N6 or better with concern to the things i like about and would wish for on N6

Cheers

If you are looking for DSD conversion software, maybe this could help:
http://www.korg.com/us/products/audio/audiogate3/

Regarding the capacity of microSD, theoretically N6 support SDXC format upto 2TB, when larger SDXC cards is available in market, we should be able to cover that through firmware update. Before we are excited by this claim, please take a look on the following "old news":

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/03/sandisk_launches_200gb_microsd_card/
Moreover, the company explained to El Reg that the only reason this is a 200GB device and not 256GB is that at 15nm, the die had reached the maximum size which could be squeezed into the microSD form factor to the specifications and still allow space for SanDisk’s control electronics.

In other word, we have reached the maximum capacity of the current die at 15nm, and unless the industry can mass produce 14nm based microSD, SDXC with 256B/512GB is unlikely, and worst still, whether the 14nm will be launched under SDXC standard is another uncertainty. Given SDXC were announced back in 2010, it will not be a big surprised that the industry will launch a new standard after 5-6 years of operation.

Can't speak for other DAP, but Cayin will definitely revise the N6 in the future, and a lot of the features you mentioned have been raised on our discussion panel. Right now I don't have any date regarding our new product, which mean it will not be available in near future. The biggest problem we are dealing with right now is the storage and battery capacity. We are most likely stick with the current storage media and batter technology for the moment. The situation is complicated and full of uncertainties, we'll keep our eye wide open for options and possibilities. We want to make our followup product a worthy upgrade for our existing customers, and that's why we are reluctant to rush into a quick product revision pattern.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 18, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #1,558 of 1,977
Good day

Cheers

I can't speak to your other specs, but the qp1r has superior sound quality for about 50% more money. Otoh there are people saying its sq is better than the ak240, etc, at MUCH higher prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back