Cayin N5ii Technical Support thread
Apr 23, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #91 of 376
This is the "multiple entries" bug I experience that I mentioned in the discussion thread. As you can see, the same track is displayed (and consequently played) multiple times. Another bug I found (using the latest beta) is that sometimes the player plays a track showing the wrong title. This seems to be especially true when a CUE file is in the folder.

Cayin-N5ii-screenshot-18.jpg

Apr 23, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #92 of 376
This is the "multiple entries" bug I experience that I mentioned in the discussion thread. As you can see, the same track is displayed (and consequently played) multiple times. Another bug I found (using the latest beta) is that sometimes the player plays a track showing the wrong title. This seems to be especially true when a CUE file is in the folder.

Damn, you listen really softly.
Even with Campfire Audio Andromedas, I used about 50 on medium gain.

A few questions :
Have you tried rescanning media library?
Do you have more than one copy of the song on your 1 or 2 sd cards? Like 1 album on each card?

Edit : I just verified that cue files do indeed cause weird issues.
IMG_20180423_183414.jpg

It seems that cue files and their contents are counted as individual songs.

@Andykong, any thoughts?

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #93 of 376
Damn, you listen really softly.
Even with Campfire Audio Andromedas, I used about 50 on medium gain.

A few questions :
Have you tried rescanning media library?
Do you have more than one copy of the song on your 1 or 2 sd cards? Like 1 album on each card?
Yep, tried rescanning to no avail. No multiple copies and files are only on one microSD.

And yes, I like to listen at low volume. Loud sounds (like 70+ dB) are extremely uncomfortable to me and I avoid them. It's always been like that - guess I have sensitive ears?

Apr 23, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #94 of 376
Yep, tried rescanning to no avail. No multiple copies and files are only on one microSD.

And yes, I like to listen at low volume. Loud sounds (like 70+ dB) are extremely uncomfortable to me and I avoid them. It's always been like that - guess I have sensitive ears?
My average listening volume is about 74-78

You're like my sister lol, she also listens at very low volumes. I prefer to be able to feel the music.

Apr 23, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #95 of 376
I am probably missing the obvious, but in the instructions to do a reset, it says press the On button while pressing the volume up button. Since the volume is controlled by the scroll wheel, I assume that some other button is meant.

Other than the volume scroll wheel, we have the Previous, Play/Pause, and Next buttons on the right side. I have tried each of them in conjunction with the On/Off button to no avail.

Perhaps my unit is bricked. If so, since I cannot find my warranty info card, could someone inform me as to the procedure for getting warranty work done. (Unfortuneatly, I am in Canada, and I suspect that this will be different from the process followed by the USA. <sigh>)

Thanks in advance!

Apr 23, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #96 of 376
I am probably missing the obvious, but in the instructions to do a reset, it says press the On button while pressing the volume up button. Since the volume is controlled by the scroll wheel, I assume that some other button is meant.

Other than the volume scroll wheel, we have the Previous, Play/Pause, and Next buttons on the right side. I have tried each of them in conjunction with the On/Off button to no avail.

Perhaps my unit is bricked. If so, since I cannot find my warranty info card, could someone inform me as to the procedure for getting warranty work done. (Unfortuneatly, I am in Canada, and I suspect that this will be different from the process followed by the USA. <sigh>)

Thanks in advance!
Its the top button on the right. Hold it down when booting the N5ii to enter recovery mode.

Apr 23, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #97 of 376
Its the top button on the right. Hold it down when booting the N5ii to enter recovery mode.

Yeah, I suspected as much. I have tried that: press and hold the top button and then press and hold the Start/Stop button. The charge/powered on light comes on, but the screen remains black. I actually tried holdiing for 60 seconds, just in case, but no joy. Thanks for the clarification though!

If it helps diagnose the problem, here's the sequence of events leading up to this situation. The unit was low on battery -- about 20% -- so I plugged it in to a Samsung wall charger (the one that came with my most recent phone) and left it for a couple of hours. When the battery indicated 100% I disconnected and put the unit aside for the night. The next morning, I ran into the black screen when I attempted to turn the unit on. Thinking that I had perhaps forgotten to turn it fully off after it had been charged, and that the battery was too low to start the unit, I put it back on the charger, but again, no display appeared. Certainly not the picture of the battery and its charge level.

It appears that the reset is not going to work.

So I am left with trying to figure out the procedure for sending it in for warranty work. As I said, I am in Canada, so if anyone knows the procedure for Canadian users, in the likely event that they will be different from those of other countries, it would be most appreciated.

Apr 23, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #98 of 376
My n5ii must have developed a crack in the lcd and it appears the fluid is leaking. I’m wondering how much it will spread, I think it’s gotten bigger already. any idea if this can be fixed and what the cost might be?

Just to close the loop on this, I was quoted $50 to replace the screen after contacting the store I bought this from - not bad!

Apr 24, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #99 of 376
I have problems with my unit. When i turn on the player i see android recovery menu.After Reset i see only recovery menu. Firmwere is 3.1. How to resolve the problem?

I found the reason. One of the buttons(pause) is not good connected. When i play music and touch this button playing is crashing and i have to open music library again, find the track and play i again.
Maybe someone has opened the unit and know how to do it?

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #101 of 376
Yeah, I suspected as much. I have tried that: press and hold the top button and then press and hold the Start/Stop button. The charge/powered on light comes on, but the screen remains black. I actually tried holdiing for 60 seconds, just in case, but no joy. Thanks for the clarification though!

If it helps diagnose the problem, here's the sequence of events leading up to this situation. The unit was low on battery -- about 20% -- so I plugged it in to a Samsung wall charger (the one that came with my most recent phone) and left it for a couple of hours. When the battery indicated 100% I disconnected and put the unit aside for the night. The next morning, I ran into the black screen when I attempted to turn the unit on. Thinking that I had perhaps forgotten to turn it fully off after it had been charged, and that the battery was too low to start the unit, I put it back on the charger, but again, no display appeared. Certainly not the picture of the battery and its charge level.

It appears that the reset is not going to work.

So I am left with trying to figure out the procedure for sending it in for warranty work. As I said, I am in Canada, so if anyone knows the procedure for Canadian users, in the likely event that they will be different from those of other countries, it would be most appreciated.

Hi, you can reset the N5ii by this way: go to pull-down menu->Settings->Factory data reset->RESET PHONE like picture 1.
upload_2018-4-25_11-44-27.png

If you want N5ii go into recovery mode, you need to keep holding the Power On/Off and Previous button(like below picture) at the same time.
upload_2018-4-25_11-26-11.png

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 25, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #102 of 376

The displayed information is very wired on your N5ii. Normally, there should not be ".flac" suffix. May I have your file for a test?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Apr 25, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #103 of 376
The displayed information is very wired on your N5ii. Normally, there should not be ".flac" suffix. May I have your file for a test?
Very w̶i̶r̶e̶d̶ weird indeed XD

It happens due to a m3u playlist reading error. I have few albums and some that come with m3u8 are not affected. Those with m3u will show up as duplicates.

IMG_20180425_130636.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #104 of 376
Apr 25, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #105 of 376
Hi, you can reset the N5ii by this way: go to pull-down menu->Settings->Factory data reset->RESET PHONE like picture 1.

If you want N5ii go into recovery mode, you need to keep holding the Power On/Off and Previous button(like below picture) at the same time.

Thank you for replying. Perhaps I was not clear enough in my description of the problem.

The unit displays a blank screen when it is turned on. (At least, the charge/power LED turns on when I hold the On/Off button for a couple of seconds, so I assume it is On.)

It displays a blank screen when I attempt a Reset by pressing and holding the On/Off button and the Previous button simultaneously. although the power LED lights up.

Because of the black screen, there is no way to get at *any* menu.

As far as the display is concerned, the unit is as if the it was turned off. Only the Power LED lighting indicates that *something* has happened in response to pressing the On/Off button.

Also, when the unit is connected to the USB wall charger, the charge LED turns on, but does not fluctuate and the screen remains blank. The picture of the battery and the charge state do not appear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back